Hello from Walnut Creek, CA - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 08, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Hello from Walnut Creek, CA

I'm considering a first gen vert and found this sight while trying to educate myself. This is a great resource and decided to go ahead and register.

I'm into the A-bodies such as the 442/gto's and had never really considered a camaro till now. I never really understood the authentication differences between the olds/pontiacs versus the chevy's.

I've looked at a couple of verts so far only to be scared away by the rust in various places such as in the trunk and on the body under the door latch (part next to "body by fisher" trim strip). My initial interest was in "clones" because I quickly learned that RS/SS are difficult to authenticate and didnt wanna pay for a real rs/ss and wind up with a clone.

I'm bracing myself and gonna look later today at a 68 rs/ss 396 vert (presumably a 325). My first move is to get vin, cowl tag, engine stamp, , 400 tag, observe heater connections, axle tube code, and leaf count. I plan to inspect rs areas and assess whether it was added or original. I'm a tad skeptical since I have learned that the engine is from a 69. I have not been offered any protect o plate, build sheet, or any other supporting documentation. In my head, I'm trying to figure out what a good ask price is for clone, and for a genuine rs/ss.

Just wanna thank everyone for the great posts/information/experiences!!! I've gotten the courage to go at least look...

Fred
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 08, 12:40 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Thumbs up Re: Hello from Walnut Creek, CA

Welcome to Team CAMARO Fred

Glad to hear ou could use the site to give you the courage to go look at that car - let us know how things go and be sure to post back with info (and pictures!) of what you find. We love to hear about folks quest to find a car
Lots of fellow members in the area that get together at some of the local meets and shows - hopefully we'll get to meet sometime.

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 08, 12:46 PM
Senior Tech
John

Send a message via AIM to John510
Re: Hello from Walnut Creek, CA

Bay Area Welcome!

Its difficult to find an actual rust free car. Even the ones that seem solid end up having some sort of rot in places.

As for the 68, unless he has documentation or a #s matching motor/date matched rear its near impossible to "prove" but with what you read on this site on what to look for you can usually tell a clone versus a real car.

"Bloodline" 68 Camaro TT LS3

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 08, 02:14 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Armando

welcome from Elk Grove!

Armando

1967 Chevy Camaro RS/SS
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew FX4
2007 Ford Mustang GT/CS (sold)
2002 F150 Harley Davidson (sold)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 08, 05:13 PM
Team Member
Steve

Garage

Welcome from San Leandro

Steve
1968 that started life and a 6 banger with a PG. Now it's a 350 with a TKO600, Moser 12 bolt, Speedtech LCA/UCA, ATS Tall Spindles, Hotchkis Springs, Forgeline ZX3P, C5 (Kore3) brakes with other cool stuff from Ron Davis, Vintage Air and soon to be Terminator EFI.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 08, 05:31 PM
Senior Tech
Brandon

Welcome to another bay area Camaro guy!!
you have come to the right place for answers about Camaros
there is alot of smart people here that can answer any questions you may have .
Good luck on finding your car

Pix of my cars...
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 08, 06:35 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

Send a message via AIM to Pro-Street69Camaro468 Send a message via Yahoo to Pro-Street69Camaro468

Welcome to Tc good luck in your quest for a Camaro post some pics of what you find and TC will tell you Yae or Nae..........

PRO.ST69orange

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 08, 07:05 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike, 69's rule

Welcome from across the Bay in Pacifica! Hope you find what your looking for....

(STAY THIRSTY, MY FRIENDS).

1969 Camaro
1990 IROCZ28 convertible (SOLD)
2004 Silverado Z71 4x4
2008 Pontiac G8 GT
GGSMU member

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 08, 11:51 PM

welcome and good luck..show us what you will find.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 08, 05:33 AM
Senior Tech
Matt

Send a message via AIM to Blade

welcome to the site!

Got to give the PEOPLE what they want!

Look....if you wanna be the best then you gotta take out the best!

1967 Prostreet Camaro
BB 431 650hp
400 Turbo Trans
Ford 9" 4:56 gears

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode