Hello from the Gulf Coast - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 08, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Hello from the Gulf Coast

Really like the site, I've had several camaros in the past and sold my last one (a Bolero Red 67 RS/SS350 Convertible) 15 years ago. Also had a 67 RS coupe, 68 RS Convertible, and a few others. I'm a lifelong gearhead, and got into older stuff and started building vintage hotrods. I still have a 1937 Ford with a 350/700R4 and and 31 Ford roadster on deuce rails with a 1963 corvette 300HP 327, Offenhauser tripower, and a M21 muncie.

But, I always missed my Camaro, and a few weeks ago finally bought another 67 coupe, just a plain jane with a 350 and 4 speed that i'm doing a resto on. Thought that would scratch the itch, but apparently not as last week I bought another 67 RS Convertible project and the remains of a 69 coupe, which is nothing special other than being an X11. I'm well into the 67 coupes restoration, but may sideline it and do the convertible first. The funny thing about this 67 RS convertible is that I cut the rear deck and other parts off it 20 years ago to fix a 68 RS convertible I had at the time. Repro parts werent available then, and the poor ragtop has since been buried in a warehouse next to another 67 convertible (6cyl non RS) s with parts piled on top of them, In fact you'd never even see the cars if you didn't know they were there for the fenders and assorted junk piled on top of them. Anyway, after buying the coupe and researching parts again, I noticed all the sheetmetal and inner structure now available for convertibles. I remembered the "parts car" and called my friend, who is in his 70s now, to see if it was still there in storage. He mentioned he was cleaning stuff out and if I wanted it i'd better get it as he was taking steel to the scales and it was on the list!. I believe the original matching 327 and the rest of the RS bits are buried in the piles of stuff in the warehouse, and i'll be making many trips to get all the parts home. I'll need to do full quarters, floor pans and rear deck/inner trunk structure on the RS ragtop, but camaros are pretty refreshing to deal with compared to the rusty 1930s tin i've been fooling with lately. Still there is always more to learn and I have read some great info already on here, I only wish this forum was around years ago! I be reading quite a bit, and will offer anything I may have learned along the way.
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 08, 12:54 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Cool Re: Hello from the Gulf Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-T View Post
... and a few weeks ago finally bought another 67 coupe, just a plain jane with a 350 and 4 speed that i'm doing a resto on.
... last week I bought another 67 RS Convertible project
... and the remains of a 69 coupe, which is nothing special other than being an X11. ...

Mike
Gee, you car buying habits remind me of someone else on the site

Sounds like you have a couple nice projects to keep you busy
Loads of info and advice available on here to get you through your projects and help in understanding these vehicles.

Be sure to also visit the CRG (Camaro Research Group) at - www.camaros.org
Tons of documentation and decoding information on there.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of your progress;
John

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 08, 02:12 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

Send a message via AIM to Pro-Street69Camaro468 Send a message via Yahoo to Pro-Street69Camaro468
Re: Hello from the Gulf Coast

Welcome to TC how do you keep track of what your doing I have a hard time with just one...

PRO.ST69orange

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 08, 07:04 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Yea, its my strange way of working. I think I must have ADD, because I'll get tired of wrenching on one and jump to the next one. At this point I could sleep in my garage if my family would let me. I finally started a log book for each car (including the early fords) to keep track of what I need to order or fix as time and money allows. The other problem is when i'm at work i'm parts surfing instead of working
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 08, 07:15 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Mike , where do you live on the gulf coast. How about Cruisin the Coast. If you live on the gulf coast you must go to it. Been there once before Katrina and coming back again this year.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 08, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

I live in Ocean Springs, work in Biloxi, i'm always at cruisin the coast, the past 9 years in my 37 Ford streetrod and last year in my 31 roadster until the muncie puked (both chevy powered of course) This year I hope to be in my 67 RS convertible There were so many 1st gen camaros last year it was unreal. Thats kinda what got me missing my old ride, and got me on the trail of a replacement. CTC is alot of fun if the Biloxi police don't ruin it this year.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 08, 06:13 AM
Senior Tech
Matt

Send a message via AIM to Blade

welcome to the party. Yes, more wings! Lets see some pics!

Got to give the PEOPLE what they want!

Look....if you wanna be the best then you gotta take out the best!

1967 Prostreet Camaro
BB 431 650hp
400 Turbo Trans
Ford 9" 4:56 gears

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 08, 06:21 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Mike, I will be at Cruisin the Coast. We are staying at the Quality Inn in Biloxi. Already got reservations. We are coming in on wednesday and maybe we will meet up. I'll be in a 69 purple prostreet with a blower motor.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 08, 07:49 AM
Senior Tech
Larry

Hello and welcome to the site.

(LARRY)

1969 CAMARO SS 502ci - 600hp

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 08, 11:26 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Doug

Welcome to the team

==Doug
Former
owner
Former
owner
Former 2nd
owner (
)
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 08, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

I'll post pics this weekend. The RS Ragtop is still literally buried under junk in the warehouse, i'll shoot some pics of it when I dig it out next week hopefully!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 08, 02:40 PM
Senior Tech
Robert

Wing Windows Forever !!

I got tired just reading your post.... lol .. you got alot of work , sounds FUN though.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old May 1st, 08, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Yes, and with every car I do I say "i'm not starting on a car this rough ever again". Guess i'll never learn, but at least it has made me a fair TIG and Mig welder. i'll get some pics up soon, should have the floorpans finished soon on the coupe so the subframe can go back in, new steel dash is in, once I get the nose back on I'll feel like i'm getting somewhere.

can't get the convertible out of the warehouse yet, a wall was built around it that has to be torn down. can you believe it?
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old May 20th, 08, 10:22 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Hey Neighbor,
Welcome to the site.
I am over in Fairhope AL welding and beating on mine. Any other treasures a car nut like me might need in that warehouse, i have a 69 Camaro but really like most any old iron. I travel that way for work regularly.

Would love to meet up in Biloxi this year w/ you guys, There are a few more folks on here from the Gulf COast. Might have to bring mine on the trailer at the rate I am going now.

-Matt

Dad bought his '69 'Camuchi' used '70, i started driving it in '77 at 14,gassing it up for him, he fixed it up for me in '79, now i am fixing it up/w my 3 boys & 2 girls, and Dad is looking down making sure i do it right
Thanks Dad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode