New Member Restoring his 68 after 22 years - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 08, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
James

New Member Restoring his 68 after 22 years

I am one of those stories you will love or hate. I am the 2nd owner of a neglected 68 Convertible. When i bought it from the original owner it was sitting in the weeds and dirty, having served duty as a swap meet truck for the old man that had bought it new off the lot. The original 327 had died long before and been replaced at the junkyard with a Pontiac mystery motor from the early 60's. I have since owned my 68 Convertible for 22 years and it is as ugly as the day I got it.

i always said I would get the drivetrain where I wanted it and the last thing I would do was make the car pretty. So I found a 68 era 350 punched it out to 381 and added some AFR aluminum heads back in 94. The powerglide was replaced with a Muncie M-21 with Hurst linkage. The 10 bolt was thrown out and replaced with a 12 bolt with 4:11s. the gears were not my choice and had come with the rear end. I freshened up the front end with Carrera coil overs and Fatman tubular a-arms in 97. A relatively new company named Baer brakes emerged shortly later and i dumped the drum front brakes in favor of their first gen Serious Street disc brakes on the front while loading all new rear drum brakes on the back.

Gents, then I got married. Don't laugh but my life changed so fast and in so many ways, we moved so many times that the only change I did not make was the old Convertible. in fact before i got married i made my soon to be wife swear that we would never sell the old Vert. Well we didn't, but life, marriage and all that it throws at you sure slowed down my progress.

Well here I am 22 years later still messing with the car. Nice interior, but not perfect, nice drivetrain, still needs help and one ugly exterior with three shades of primer and 25 year old left overs from a bad paint job on it.

Which brings me to this. SEMA. Every year I read about these amazing cars that go to the SEMA Show in Las Vegas every November. They are built by local Hot Roddin Guys like me and they are built by the Chip Fooses and Troy Trepaniers of the world.

Well if the wind is blowing just right and the Gods of Muscle Cars shines down on me, my ugly old convertible might make it there this year.

I have some great people that have watched me struggle to hold onto this car, through ups and downs, hell or high water. They know I have always intended t to be an amazing Pro-Touring kind of thing. It's just that LIFE has a way of interfering.

That being said, i might get a chance to place my car in the hands of some of the people that make the rest of us drool. I know some of you guys have those kind of cars now. You are to be commended because I know it is really hard to accomplish, find the time, energy, technology and MONEY to pull it off.

If my car gets to become one of those I will be quite proud of the work i have already put into it to become this and the parts, the work and energy others will donate to achieve show-car status.

Hey, if for some reason it doesn't make it there this year, I have finally put enough scratch together to get it the decent paint and body work it has needed all these years, so either way it is going to look great and soon.

i will document it in pictures and video on my own site and will share with all of you here as it goes through it's stages.

I have visited this site many times and all of you guys are serious and helpful to each other and that in itself is what this is all about. You have a great webpage here and you are always decent to one another.

Thanks for reading this and helping me turn my car into the American Classic it was always supposed to be.

James

James
68 Camaro Convertible
M-21 Stroked 381 w/ AFR Alum Heads
12 Bolt 4:11s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 08, 07:47 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

Re: New Member Restoring his 68 after 22 years

Hey James, Welcome...I see that you have been here a few times already. We look forward to seeing some pictures of your 68...don't worry about taking soooo long...at least you have owned it all those years which is more than some of us!

Z282NV

1969 Camaro
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 08, 07:51 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

ya, pics are good.

You got good taste in cars too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 08, 12:22 PM
Senior Tech

Welcome to the TC Crew, James...try to remember that it's the journey...not the destination that really counts... but is difficult to appreciate when that last bolt strips on ya, while having dirt fall into your eyes when under the Cam for the umpteenth time.

Great testamony on your part!

capt
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 08, 12:37 PM
Team Member
Tony

Cool Re: New Member Restoring his 68 after 22 years

Welcome to the site James, and congrats on your '68'vert.
It may take longer than you think, but don't ever give up..
Live your dream and enjoy the journey.
You've got the best Camaro ever built..
BTW -mine just got plates, after sitting in MN for 28 years. (1980)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 08, 07:06 PM
Team Member
Jerry R.

You're not alone , my 68 sat for 18 years before I started working on it.
We started having kids and built a house , that really put a stop to it.
Good luck with yours bud.

my Magnaflow X-pipe system sound clip, click the link

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 08, 03:42 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Welcome! At least you have the correct year......

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 08, 04:06 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

Send a message via AIM to Pro-Street69Camaro468 Send a message via Yahoo to Pro-Street69Camaro468

Welcome James my 69 sat for 22 + years itself.....

PRO.ST69orange

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 08, 03:53 AM
Senior Tech
Matt

Send a message via AIM to Blade

welcome to the site.

Got to give the PEOPLE what they want!

Look....if you wanna be the best then you gotta take out the best!

1967 Prostreet Camaro
BB 431 650hp
400 Turbo Trans
Ford 9" 4:56 gears

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode