Bought a new toy today - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 08, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Phil

Bought a new toy today

Seeing how my Firebird has about another year before it is done, I picked up a "temporary summer driver" today.

...It looks red in the pics, but it is actually hugger orange. The paint is only a few years old, so it is in pretty nice shape. The car over all is "driver quality" and it has new qtrs, a small patch in the trunk, and a small patch in the driver's side floor. I was told it was an LT with a non-matching engine.

Unfortunately, somone blacked out the tail lights and side markers as well as the front and rear window trim and door handles (arrgh). Any recommendations how to fix these?

Phil

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Full Car Media Blasting:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 08, 02:02 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Re: Bought a new toy today

Nice score!!!

Steve
67 Camaro RS
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 08, 04:09 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Nice Car,

You can replace the side markers , the window chrome can be stripped and polished as it is stainless steel. Also how bad did they prep them before paint and what grit paper did they use. The door handles are chrome plated. Remove and strip the paint and they might be OK or replace them. You can also have them rechromed. It still is going to take some effort and money to change them.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 08, 07:20 PM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Nice! You have the best of both world's, a driver and a builder.

Kevin

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 08, 03:31 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Nice ride.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 08, 09:25 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Doug

Nice looking ride -- congrats on picking it up

==Doug
Former
owner
Former
owner
Former 2nd
owner (
)
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 08, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Phil

Thanks guys.

My 1st car was a 1977 Camaro LT that I bought in high school in 1985. I took out my 1st car loan to buy it for $3500. It had a killer 350 with nice heads. However, it was a bondo bucket. I had it prettied-up in 1987 with a nice vette bright yellow with black SS stripes paint job. It was still full of bondo, but it actually looked great! I drove it until I graduated college in 1991. And by then, it had succumbed to Upstate, NY weather (I drove it in the winter!) and gravity set in (subframe starting to let go and rear springs peaking through the trunk). ...I got into a LOT of trouble with that car!

So this is my first Camaro since 1991. I promise to take better care of this one. However, I am not promising to stay out of trouble.

I pick it up Saturday.

Phil

Full Car Media Blasting:
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 08, 04:47 PM
Senior Tech
Craig

Congrats.
Also, as a fellow 69 Firebird Fan i cant wait to see yours when its done. Checked out your website and it looks/sounds like its going to be one hell of a car!!

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 08, 05:57 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorpe67RS View Post
Congrats.
Also, as a fellow 69 Firebird Fan i cant wait to see yours when its done. Checked out your website and it looks/sounds like its going to be one hell of a car!!
Thanks! Now I just need to keep the '73 Camaro from distracting me too much from getting the 'Bird done!

Phil

Full Car Media Blasting:
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 08, 06:36 AM
Senior Tech
Chris

Gratz, sweet ride

Hatya

Daily Driver

327 9.6:1, Performer RPM Heads, 200R4, 3rd Gen P/S Box
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 08, 02:38 PM
Senior Tech
Robert

Sweet !

70-73 Best yrs for the 2nd Gens of course "IMO"
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 08, 06:30 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Phil

What a bust! I went back with a trailer and cash to pick it up on Saturday. He wouldn't let me drive it the 1st time I looked at it last week. But I insisted on driving it Sat.

...It has more issues that I am willing to deal with at the moment (I just want to get in and drive for the summer). The whole front suspension needed to be replaced...it steers horrible. All the bushings are gone. It has brake issues, major oil pan leak (possible rotted pan), broken stud, broken speedo cable, starter has an issue, needs new headliner, carpet is trashed, and a few other issues. I know that most of these are minor. However, I also found a major crack in the rear frame rail (the rail is actually split right next to the tank) and the patch panel in the trunk is just welded over the rot where the rear springs attach. It is a very pretty car, but someone just put some nice "lipstick on the pig."

The guy selling it knew what it was and wasn't even upset when I backed out if it. Buyer beware.

So my search continues. I put an offer in on a '68 Camaro yeterday afternoon and I am looking at another '68 this morning as well as hitting a car show.

Phil

Full Car Media Blasting:
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 08, 03:45 PM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Bummer about the 73. Good luck on the 68, we all know that's the best year anyway.

Kevin

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode