fuel line type - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 08, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Cool fuel line type

I have a 69 camaro convertible with a 350 and a four barrel quadrajet carburetor. It was partially disassembled when I bought it. I am trying to put it back together right now. I assumed it had a single fuel line (no vapor return)but when I look in the catalogs (classic industries and year one) they don't list a 3/8" single line for a small block 350 with a quadrajet. There was no sign of a vapor cannister or a return line with car when I bought and it was pretty complete. Should I assume that it had the vapor return line and buy/install it? Can I put the car together with the single line? I am buying all new fuel pump, sending unit, fuel lines etc. The car is all original numbers matching. Please let me know what you think. Thank You
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 08, 07:30 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: fuel line type

Hi Jim, and welcome to Team Camaro!

One thing we all learned around here is never assume anything. An "all original 350 Camaro" would be an SS (or an LM1), and it would have a second line for vapor return.

Is this an SS (or an LM1)?
Does the engine have the correct partial VIN stamped on the pad under the alternator or by the oil filter?

If not, it's probably an original 327 or 307 car, and a single 3/8" line would be correct.

If it is the original 350 q-jet motor, then it would also have a 1/4" vapor line which goes to a third port in the fuel filter.
Note I've heard that these fuel filters have recently become near unobtainium.

Click will probably pop in with a pic of the fuel filter and lines on his LM1 car.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 08, 07:37 PM
Senior Tech

An all original 4bbl 350 would be an LM1 or L48; there was the 2bbl L65 later, which had the single fuel line.

The return line isn't a big deal to add, but you need a sending unit with a return, a three piece line kit from pump to filter to carb, and the filter and bracket. It's probably $200 worth of parts by the time it's all done.

If you want, you can post the numbers here. If it is an original 350 car and it was built after January or so, then someone probably added the Q-Jet later in life.

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 08, 02:50 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Fellas
The car is numbers matching (correct VIN) it is not an SS although is is an X11 and does have a 12 bolt rear end. The carb is numbers correct for 1969 but I don't know if you can say definitively that it is correct to the car. I am not sure how to tell if it is an LM1. I have already purchased the return line and the sending unit which will accomadatte the return line. A dumb question, what does the return line connect to on the motor? Is there anything else I need to add in case this car only had a single line to begin with? Thanks! This website is the greatest!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 08, 05:13 AM
Senior Tech

See info on the different models available here: http://www.camaros.org/diffs69.shtml

The return line came off the top of the fuel filter, which was mounted on the front of the engine above the timing cover and water pump.

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 08, 07:44 AM
Senior Tech
Larry

Hello and welcome to the site.

(LARRY)

1969 CAMARO SS 502ci - 600hp

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 08, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Fellas, I've got everything I need
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode