hi from new guy in Ct. - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 08, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Ken

hi from new guy in Ct.

I have a 1979 z28. I notice the temp gauge goes high when I`m on the highway. If I drive around on the city, it runs cool. I have a350c.i.d. engine out of a 1980 chevy k10.It never ran hot in the truck. It has about 5,000 miles on it since the rebuild to stock spec.s. I replaced the t-stat , but it didn`t help. I verified it runs hot with a laser thermometer.I have a shroud still there. The radiator is a four row. I stiil have the thermostatic fan cluth and it is not too old either. The coolant is 50/50 mix. The mechanical fan is pulling air from the radiator. The engine tachs out abit higher in the car than in the truck, probably due to the gearing in the rear end, but it is only the stock 3.42:1 gear ratio. It has a turbo 350 auto tranny. Timing is at 8 degrees BTDC. I`m not sure what I`m missing. Any help from fellow Chevy guys would be appreciated. P.S. It has A/C and the condenser is not blocked. The A/C can be off and she`ll still heat up to 230 - 240 degrees , then I get off highway and she cools right down, especially if I stop and idle??? Please help... Thanks for taking the time to read this lengthy post. Sincerely, Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 08, 07:03 PM
Senior Tech
David

Re: hi from new guy in Ct.

Ken,
Welcome to Team Camaro. You probably need to post your problem in the "Heating and Cooling Forum as it will get more exposure there.

"All I need is a fast machine". Steve McQueen
My Machine: 1969 Pro Street Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

468 CID 661 Horsepower
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Turbo 400
33"x19.50" Mickey Thompsons

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 08, 05:31 AM
Senior Tech
Camarodude67

Hi and Welcome... Maybe it is the clutch fan, try a new good flex fan...

Jeff G.
69 Converts.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jeff69rag2001
Rocky Hill, CT

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 08, 05:34 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tony

Send a message via AIM to tony -Di

hay ken Welcome where are u from in Ct ? Im in CT (west haven ) Im running a little hot with my 350 in my 67 im putting in a bigger radiator soon . hope to see u around CT do you belong to CTFB Assoc
tony
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 08, 04:59 PM
Senior Tech

When the clutch fan works, all is good. But as Jeff pointed out, they can cause this type of prob.

Also, check the hoses, esp the lower one. Had a bud a while back who was having the same thing happen to him...one of the hoses was caving in on him, restricting the water flow...and of course you'ved checked the obvious.. the thermostat, eh?

capt
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 08, 11:49 AM
Senior Tech
Lenny

welcome from up here in MA- Im right outside of Boston. Nice to see you here.

Lenny Schaeffer

Woburn MA
Watch for our shop at many cars shows this year!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 08, 04:50 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

Welcome. Where in Conn?

Joe
'68 SS/RS 350
Never enough time... even less money.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 08, 06:46 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Welcome, either the higher rear gear is causing more heat due to higher rpms, or the clutch fan is engaged at high rpm. It should disengage at about 3K rpm.

If clutch is engaged, you should hear the fan pulling air. Fan turning can be blockage at speed/high rpm.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode