Worldwide Dillemma (1968 Chevelle) Antwerp? - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 08, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Youri

Worldwide Dillemma (1968 Chevelle) Antwerp?

Hello fellow enthousiasts,

I'm already a member on Team Chevelle for quite a few months now, and I'm searching all over the web for more information about my Cowl-tag.

It's a 1968 Chevrolet Chevelle 300 Deluxe I6-250 with a 3 on the tree.

No-one ever confirmed that the Antwerp plant built even 1 Chevelle, some said it was built in Oshawa, others say Flint, Michigan with a Buick code (misstamp) and according to information here I DO have an Antwerp built car.

Is there anyone here who can finally solve my mystery?

Are "GX" or "HX" cars real Antwerp made cars or did they make a giant mess of their own administration? :S

pics:

Thanks in advance for reading, I love 60's Camaro's so I can feel quite home here aswell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 08, 08:34 AM
Senior Tech
James

Re: Worldwide Dillemma (1968 Chevelle) Antwerp?

I can't help with Chevelle codes, but color code 200 is schwarz/black on my euro color chart.
Any original paint areas that you can confirm this?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 08, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
Youri

Well, I do know that Belgian Chevelle Taxi's all had the color "Tuxedo Black", and I have no other reason then thinking this is a former Belgian Cab

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 08, 10:44 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jan

Send a message via AIM to jannes_z-28

Yes your car is built in Antwerp. The letters HX is for a 1968 (H) and the X is for the Antwerp plant.

The 8-4734-2 is some kind of scheduling information from the plant.
The 8 is for 1968. 4732 is probably a sequential number, not related to the Chevelle just some kind of production/order number.
The -2 is probably for the month of February, this is not confirmed but other cars have similar numbers.

The numbers 2060 and 3260 is weight in kilograms, 3260 is the total weight loaded and with trailer.

Since th Antwerp plant was an Opel factory they often used Opel paint codes, it is GM so the color is the same but different numbers. 200 is Opels code for Black. Interior codes are usually the same as on US cars.

The model code up in the right corner usually has the engine code as well. It is hard to see on the picture but it should be an engine code.

Antwerp could put in 283 in some cars, there are a few known Camaros that got 283 engines in the Antwerp plant.

Jan

Jan Suhr
Stockholm, Sweden
'69 Camaro Z-28, X77, Cortez Silver, LS1 / T56, Still has the original BU rear end

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 08, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Youri

So you can confirm on these that GX and HX cars are definate Antwerp assembled cars?

So that I have one of the Chevrolet built 1500 models in 1968? and thus the only known Antwerp built Chevelle ever?

Because I also have a a source from BDC cars in Belgium (http://www.bdc.be/) who said had relatives working over there said there wasn't any Belgian built Chevelle known ever.

And thus my car should be export in some kind of way :S

Very confusing still...
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 08, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Youri

Here's some other thing raising me in doubt:

http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/...tory/LOGO.html

which reads:

GENERAL MOTORS CONTINENTAL
General Motors Continental S.A. had, and still has, an assembly Plant in Antwerpen/Anvers or in English, Antwerp, in Belgium, and a sales office in Rotterdam, Netherlands. The company assembled Tarrytown and Oshawa CKD kits until 1968. These cars and trucks were exported all over Europe. Here are some examples:

1966 MODEL
Impala 4-door Hardtop: GENERAL MOTORS CONTINENTAL ANTWERP; MAKE CHEVROLET; MODEL IMPALA; ENGINE K [for McKinnon Industries Ltd, St Catherine’s, Ontario]08250586 ; 16339[6-cylinder]; CHASSIS NO. 16339CX100744 [note "C" Plant Code and then "X" for eXport]; RELEASE 7-2597-7; PAINT 200; TRIM 842;GVW…; PVA…
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 08, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Youri

Another said:

http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/...reignchev.html

POST-WAR
GENERAL MOTORS CONTINENTAL ANTWERP
MAKE: CHEV MODEL 3462
ENGINE No. F1016NV1412
CHASSIS No. CA-4C362T2315
RELEASE 4-088-6 PAINT 000
TRIM GVW 4540 PVA
This is an extremely rare and interesting vehicle! It is a G.M. Continental S.A., Antwerpen/Anvers or Antwerp, Belgium, assembled 1-Ton 1964 Model C36 series originally from the Tarrytown, New York, Plant, with a Flint-built engine, made October 16th 1963, "NV" indicating a 230 cu. in 6-cylinder, option L6. As a model 3462 it is a Chassis and Cowl, and was probably bodied as an ambulance when new. Note that from around 1957 until 1968, G.M. Continental's Plant code was "CA", and before that "C". This succeded the "X" code system which had lasted until 1947 or so.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 08, 11:27 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jan

Send a message via AIM to jannes_z-28

Yes the HX confirms that it is an Antwerp 1968 model car. GX is for 1967, FX for 1966 and so on. I doubt that your Chevelle is the only one built there.

They assebled most of the standard models from the whole GM line. Many cars was built in the States but imported through Antwerp and got the Antwerp VIN.

Your car can have a US trimtag at the normal place, on Chevelles it should be in front of the windshield on driversside.

Jan

Jan Suhr
Stockholm, Sweden
'69 Camaro Z-28, X77, Cortez Silver, LS1 / T56, Still has the original BU rear end

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode