New Guy whos Uncle owns a 67 Camaro RS #'s Matching - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 09, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Chris

New Guy whos Uncle owns a 67 Camaro RS #'s Matching

Hi everybody, the names Chris.

I've been doing alot of reading over the past months to get familiar with the forum and the 67 camaro itself. My uncle owns a 67 RS 327 automatic all #'s matching! He is the original owner and it’s sat in his tiny Garage for 20+ years, his daughter doesn't want it and I’m next in line to take it. I have yet to get up close to the car due to it being locked in his garage (around the block) when he's in Ohio working (what a tease). So that is all the info I have on it.

This Car NEEDS to be brought back to life but for now my focus is college so i'm forced to stick with planning this future project.

My dilemma is because it’s all #'s matching should I restore it to original, modify it with modern technology, or pull the motor and swap it for a LS1 (I have a 96 Caprice Classic with police package) and go from there. My Uncle and Friend both prefer original for the value. I would prefer a daily driver with modern performance that performs well on the track and strip and was thinking of beefing up the suspension; add some HP (around 400), disc brake conversion.

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions on what I could do to find a middle ground are welcome.

Thanks,
Chris

Last edited by hockeycpuck; Jul 22nd, 09 at 12:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 09, 01:45 AM
Senior Tech
John

Re: New Guy whos Uncle owns a 67 Camaro RS #'s Matching

Welcome to TC Chris.

If you get it, it's your car, do what you want to with it. Whatever floats your boat.

What i would do is keep it as original as possible. These cars, in their original configuration, are getting harder and harder to come by.

Whatever you do, you better pounce on that deal and secure the car.
Good luck. And oh yeah....post some pics.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 09, 03:44 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

welcome to team camaro!!

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 09, 03:52 AM
Senior Tech
Brent

Garage

You do what you want with it but I would respect whatever your uncle wants on this first and foremost.

If you really think you'll want to bring it back to original someday, keep the motor/trans close by and don't cut the body. Then you always have the option to change your mind.

1968 RS/SS Lemans Blue
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 09, 04:39 AM
Kevin

Chris, welcome! lots of NJers here. Your uncles 67 trans is probably a powerglide with a dog of a rear gear. Not a good performance setup. My 69 was the original drivetrain too (327/powerglide/10bolt 2.73). The best way to wake this combo up without hurting original parts is to replace the transmission with a rebuilt 200r4, replace the rear gear with a 3.42 or 3.55 (DONT replace the rear itself) for starters. That will really wake the 327 up, plus you get over drive. Save ALL the original parts. A bigger front sway bar and better tires will help in the handling.

What you want to achieve is a better 67 with bolt on parts that require no permanent mod that will improve the aspects of the car a bit. If you try to match modern performance, you will need to do a LOT of expensive mods and will degrade the value of the 67.

I am in the process of replacing my trans with a 200r4 (did the rear already), so I can tell you what you need. I even have a spare 86 Monte SS CZF 200r4 (2nd most desireable version).

Luck!

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 09, 04:55 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bill

Welcome fellow '67er, you know its the wings that makes the '67 fly
You can do a resto mod with modern components and just store all of the original parts for a return to forrmer glory if you need to.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 09, 06:07 AM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
327/powerglide/10bolt 2.73). The best way to wake this combo up without hurting original parts is to replace the transmission with a rebuilt 200r4, replace the rear gear with a 3.42 or 3.55 (DONT replace the rear itself) for starters. That will really wake the 327 up, plus you get over drive. Save ALL the original parts. A bigger front sway bar and better tires will help in the handling.

What you want to achieve is a better 67 with bolt on parts that require no permanent mod that will improve the aspects of the car a bit. If you try to match modern performance, you will need to do a LOT of expensive mods and will degrade the value of the 67.

I am in the process of replacing my trans with a 200r4 (did the rear already), so I can tell you what you need. I even have a spare 86 Monte SS CZF 200r4 (2nd most desireable version).

Luck!
This is all excellent advice and depending on what your buying and how much you can do yourself school and the car could work in harmony. Myself I would stay away from the caprice LT1 type engine (it's not and LS1) and sell those pieces or the entire car (if you not driving it) to help with the current mods. I personaly would at a later date go with an LS1, it's just better modern technoligy that will benifit you in MPG and your bolting in 300 H/P minimum and if you go with EFI at least 20 MPG easly. Tuned and proper trans and rear gears you can get 25 MPG, I hear the Carb conversions do quite well also.

Good luck and getting the car is the first thing to do. YOur Uncle may have some say in what happens depending on the deal?

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 09, 07:53 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Welcome to the Club! Having patience is the key.
Lots of good advice given here, '67 RS's with OE options is a treat to keep original, but its your car with your Uncle's blessing, so do what floats your boat and keeps peace if the family. Food for thought.

If you do decide to change out the draivetrain, as said, go woith the latest technology, LS engines. A simple camshaft change can yield 400-500 HP and maintain 20+ MPG.

As said, keep the original items removed, they will add value upon selling if it ever happens, I doubt it ever will.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 09, 07:56 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Welcome Chris! If the car hasn't been driven in many years, do a complete evaluation of things like brakes, fuel lines, cooling system, etc. before considering any mods. It may not take very much to get it going again but you want to be safe.

If it does have 327/powerglide/2.73 gear, an interesting mod to consider would be a 4 speed Super T-10 with 3.42 first gear. A tranny change will really wake up a 327 and you still have the 2.73 rear for highway cruisin'. Pretty much same as my car has.

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

-
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 09, 08:00 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

One more thing- if you've never driven a car like this before you are gonna HATE the brakes. Consider a power disk swap before anything else if you want it to feel at all like a modern car. Steering box problably second on the list. Good luck!

-
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 09, 08:14 AM
Kevin

Brakes, yes! Check your brake/gas lines they rust! Must likely you have 4 wheel drums (me too!). My recommendation (and is what I did) is to inspect and rebuild the drums so they work as well as they can. Then add a power booster. This is all bolt on stuff and you can purchase a booster and correct power disc master (works fine with drums!) from any retailer. Then a good bleed (power assisted bleeders work great). I did this a bunch of years ago and the brakes work "almost" as good as discs without the hassle of changing the spindles.

Now changing from a auto to a manual trans requires cutting the tunnel (pedals, shifter), etc. That would put you down a path of doing unreversible mods. Make sure you have a clear path of what you want to get out of the car before you do any permanent changes.

Kevin

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 09, 09:10 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

67 auto console you won't have to cut the tunnel shifter hole. It's all bolt in. Not sure about column auto.

-
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 09, 11:45 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bill

Adding the clutch pedal and linkage does not require any cutting either. Its all bolt in.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 09, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Chris

Thanks guys, keep any advice coming.

I'm currently securing it as MY car. As of now I'm working on getting it out of his garage and into mine. His garage very small and I'm afraid the NJ weather is getting to the car, so I'm trying to get it into my garage, but moms not to fond of the idea. Thats my first hurdle.

All the interior, body, paint and emblems I'm keeping original. Anything else I do to the car I would like to be able to bring back to original, so bolt on seems the best way to go.

The tranny i'm sure is a powerglide, and as i don't want to hurt anything I'll pull it, replace it, and store it safely. I'll probably keep it automatic, even though its a sin in my eyes haha. thanks for suggesting to replacing the rear gear seems like a must after reading into it

The brakes and suspension was what I really planned on replacing and storing away. I have driven acouple hotrods, and muscle cars and I'm not a fan of the brakes, same goes for steering. Disc swap all around was what I'm leaning towards. Suspension I've seen acouple diffent kits and was wondering should i keep it monoleaf or replace?

as for how much work I plan on doing myself is almost all. I have a friend who owns a resturation shop so any help I need I can get there.

Thanks for all the info so far, anymore would be welcome.

as for the 327, what could i do to beef up its power without damaging its original value? looking for around 360-400hp
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 09, 01:25 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Do you know if it's a 4 barrel or 2 barrel 327? The 4 barrel 275 horse engine is a good starting point.

-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode