1968 Camaro project newbie - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 09, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

1968 Camaro project newbie

Hi All,

Excited to have finally picked up a 1968 camaro project and am also excited to have joined this great website. I look forward to taking advantage of the knowledge all of the members here have to offer. I have always dreamed of someday owning a beautifully restored/modified 1st generation camaro. Now, I have finally taken the first step by purchasing a 1968 camaro project. Unfortunately, I overpaid for a complete piece of crap and am starting with a very expensive learning curve. I will need a lot of advise and I am hoping to get a lot of opinions from different people. Thanks for reading this!
Cheers
Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 09, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: 1968 Camaro project newbie

Welcome to the Club! At least you have the correct year.
Expensive and needs attention - just like a woman..........LOL

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 09, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Thank Everett!
I like your pics link..... Cool Camaro, ditto on the BMW and the Monte. The hounds are cool too!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 09, 11:24 AM
Senior Tech
Connor

How much did you pay? Is it rusted or whats so bad about it?

1968 Camaro Restoration-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1980 Jeep -

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 09, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

It is a 1968 camaro that I paid $5500 for.

Good/o.k.......
Has a strong running 350 with a turbo 350 automatic/B&M floor shifter. Front end is solid with some original metal, some new. Has grill, headlights, front spoiler, front bumper (not installed), new cowl hood. No rust on dash or inner/outer cowl. Subframe is in good condition. Both door skins are full of mud, passenger door has rust on the inside. Most of the wiring is in good shape, but not hooked up. Interior is non existent. Has all original buckets along with rear seats. Probably need new foam, definately new covers and frames seem o.k. Has original guages and glovebox door. Car actually runs and drives (is definately not a driver though). All glass is there, pretty scratched up on the front windshield. Rear quarter windows are not installed.

BAD........
Floor pan behind both seats are rusted through. Trunk floor pan is completly rusted out. Rear quarters have been shaped with so much mud you would think it was done by a professional sculpter. Rear section of roof has been pulled with a dent puller and has a fair amount of mud. Rear tail panel was attempted to be bent back to straight (I am positive this vehicle had been rear ended pretty good at some point). Both rear frame rails are bent and cracked. One of the rockers is o.k., the other one looks to have been cut and welded back together. And the worst part (in my opinion) is that the passenger side door has about a 1" gap at the top corner where it meets quarter, but only a 3/16" gap at the bottom. I am pretty sure it is not due to a poor door hang because the gap across the bottom of the door is equal front to back at maybe 1/4".

Unfortunately I was stupid enough to purchase this vehicle out of state without seeing it in person. My brother-in-law went and looked at it for me and unfortunately he missed a lot of things I didn't expect him to miss.
All in all, I am afraid I have bitten off more than I can chew. Sorry I wrote a book about the car!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 09, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

You're welcome. Don't be afraid to write. The more info given, the better the decision/suggestions made.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 09, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinns9 View Post
It is a 1968 camaro that I paid $5500 for.

Good/o.k.......
Has a strong running 350 with a turbo 350 automatic/B&M floor shifter. Front end is solid with some original metal, some new. Has grill, headlights, front spoiler, front bumper (not installed), new cowl hood. No rust on dash or inner/outer cowl. Subframe is in good condition. Both door skins are full of mud, passenger door has rust on the inside. Most of the wiring is in good shape, but not hooked up. Interior is non existent. Has all original buckets along with rear seats. Probably need new foam, definately new covers and frames seem o.k. Has original guages and glovebox door. Car actually runs and drives (is definately not a driver though). All glass is there, pretty scratched up on the front windshield. Rear quarter windows are not installed.

BAD........
Floor pan behind both seats are rusted through. Trunk floor pan is completly rusted out. Rear quarters have been shaped with so much mud you would think it was done by a professional sculpter. Rear section of roof has been pulled with a dent puller and has a fair amount of mud. Rear tail panel was attempted to be bent back to straight (I am positive this vehicle had been rear ended pretty good at some point). Both rear frame rails are bent and cracked. One of the rockers is o.k., the other one looks to have been cut and welded back together. And the worst part (in my opinion) is that the passenger side door has about a 1" gap at the top corner where it meets quarter, but only a 3/16" gap at the bottom. I am pretty sure it is not due to a poor door hang because the gap across the bottom of the door is equal front to back at maybe 1/4".

Unfortunately I was stupid enough to purchase this vehicle out of state without seeing it in person. My brother-in-law went and looked at it for me and unfortunately he missed a lot of things I didn't expect him to miss.
All in all, I am afraid I have bitten off more than I can chew. Sorry I wrote a book about the car!
Congrats and welcome from another newbie!!!!
Don't feel bad about overpaying, I think we all did in one way or another. I paid $4500 for my rag top bondo-bucket and already started taking it appart, new door skins, new full quarter panels and tail piece and new radiator support (battery acid eate the one side) and believe me there are plenty of people who have told me I am crazy for doing so. To me overpaying is just a matter of opinion, you are buying a classic muscle car... a Camaro no less, and there are only so many out there, so what the car is worth to you is what matters. Enjoy the trip and have as much fun as you can!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 09, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the great welcome! I really look forward to starting my project and picking peoples brains for more info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode