Facing the DMV - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 09, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Garage
Facing the DMV

Just got my 68 Camaro restored after a long time sitting (18 years). The last time it was registered was back in 1991 lol. I never non opted it through the DMV and now need to get registered again. Just wondering any one know the fines to be expected? Are they a flat fine after a few years or rolled up?

There goes the kids collage fund I guess! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 09, 01:47 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Re: Facing the DMV

I had a car that was stored for 7yrs and no non oped, they wanted to charge me for all yrs and penalty's. But i was very nice and said in detail my car has been setting in storage for 7yrs with no tickets on it and i just want to do whats right so is there any way that DMV will give me a brake. They said if you cut use a check today for the amount of $250.00 we will wave all other fees. The original fees would have added another $800.00 you need to wheel and deal with them and talk to a supervisor if possible.

I NEED TO HIT THE LOTTERY
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 09, 03:18 PM
Senior Tech
Kevin

I feel for you Cali guys. Good luck.

Autosmiths, LLC
'69 X44, stock 350 (for now), TH350, 3.70:1 gear 8.5" 10 bolt, Auburn Posi.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 09, 04:18 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

I think in MO, its 200.00 maximum.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 09, 04:36 PM
Senior Tech
John

Jim, welcome to TC! Now, I am assuming you have owned this car since 1991? The DMV will not have that vehicle active in the system.....although have you gotten the annual statment that you owed money for reg each year? if not, you may try to talk with a supervisor and see and do what Skip suggested.....wheel and deal.

That said, remember we are stuck in this "the state has no money" issue that could have someone from DMV thinking about.....helping the state? Don't know where you live, but if its a smaller DMV (ie like bridgeport, which has the highway patrol in the same building) you could call and talk to them prior and ask.....

Either way, good luck!!

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing...a little's good, more's better, and too much is just enough
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

68 rs - Van Nuys original - one family car.....which still needs to be finished!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 09, 05:16 PM
Senior Tech

If it is out of the system that long it shoudn't show up and there should be no back fees.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 09, 05:55 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM BARKLEY View Post
If it is out of the system that long it shoudn't show up and there should be no back fees.
I Ive tried that to, if thats the case then they will make you go threw the Highway Patrol to check Vin's and Tags. Plus you will still have to pay a so called California initiation fee % of the value of the car. But if you have an old reg tag then they will go with that other wise you would have to prove its a California car.

I NEED TO HIT THE LOTTERY
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 09, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Garage

Thanks guys all suggestions will be used! I still have the pink slip and 91 registration paper in the glove box to hand over to them. How does the insurance thing work as well? Do I need to have proof first before going to see the DMV? I assume I need a temp registration to get to the auto club for paperwork for that?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 09, 09:42 PM
Senior Tech
John

DMV will gladly take your money until you finish up the paperwork.....not too sure about the autoclub, but I can call my insurance and they will "insure" it then I have to send them the paperwork.

Good luck

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing...a little's good, more's better, and too much is just enough

68 rs - Van Nuys original - one family car.....which still needs to be finished!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 09, 10:14 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bill

I had a car "fall off the computer" about ten years ago here is Cali. It had sat in my father in laws horse pasture for about 7 years or so before I went to register it, fees were minimal and I then became the only owner of record. Were you getting registration notices every year?

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 09, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Garage

To be honest I think they mailed me one for renewal and that was it? They never sent me more notices after that. I just found my 91 registration paperwork and have the pink so hopefully they can dig through their records and find me? If not, I will have to beg and plead my case.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 09, 10:00 PM
Senior Tech
JAY

greeting from arizona...
here in az there were no extra charges when i got tags
for my 69 camaro, sitting 12 years. It was titled in my name before
and i just signed statement that it wasn't in use and i had restored it. Even put 69 az plates and i think it was $55.00 for 2 years....
jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode