Hello from a total amateur - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 09, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Hello from a total amateur

Hi!
I am a newlywed and my husband wants to build us some first gens. He keeps bringing it up and asking me questions and I do not have a clue.
I have started doing some research, so I might have some concept of what he is talking about. I hope to find some basic information and move onto someday impressing him with my vast knowledge .
Pardon me for being TOTALLY wet behind the ears and possibly asking terribly dumb questions. I will do my best to keep them concise and not take up too much time.
Thank you for your help and patience.
Kami
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 09, 03:50 PM
Senior Tech
Russ

Re: Hello from a total amateur

First off, congrats on being a newlywed. Second, welcome to the forum. I'm sure you'll find lots of good info here. Been married 17 years and my wife wants nothing to do with "my toys" other than riding in the Camaro to make me happy and an occasional car show so you new hubby should consider himself lucky. How about talking him into a coupe and a convertible that way together you have the best of both worlds. You could have the same color combo or better yet make them polar opposites. Now that would be cool !

Russ (RJ)
The Garlic Capital, Gilroy,CA

(sold June 15,2014) 1968 RS convertible that is not quite stock

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 09, 04:16 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Kami,
Congrats,and there are no dumb questions (some can be pretty funny though... like the 710 cap ...flip it )

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 09, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Welcome to the Club, Kami, and congratulations on the marriage.

You have the right place to ask and don't be afraid to ask.
Give as much info as you can think when asking.

You might want to visit www.camaros.org to learn about the specific years and their differences. Always handy to take along a copy of Trim Tag codes to decipher the options/standard equipment the car was born with.

There are experts here to identify fake tags, so if you can, take a picture and post it here for validity.

Again, congrats to you and your husband on the marriage.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 09, 10:20 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
I am a newlywed and my husband wants to build us some first gens.
So cool to see your interest...my wife if I need something just growls at me even after 20 yrs " For gods sake just go get it" or " can you leave it for next month, we have taxes, bills insurance this month" I still feel guilty lol
My wife sort of knows the basics, but she has devaloped an 'ear' that picks up anything wrong, doesnt matter what sort of engine...doesnt always know why, but always right.
Females for some reason have this fine tuned ear for engines...If they know about it.

Quote:
TOTALLY wet behind the ears and possibly asking terribly dumb questions
Everyone here where wet behind the ears once, everyone has screwed up..thats why so many of the guys are so well informed and willing to pass on knowledge learnt over many decades....And Dumb questions, those are the questions stupid and gutless people are to damn scared to ask....and those who realy want to learn, ask

I do the work omn the cars, the wife has a knack of bring out a coffee...even dinner sometimes at just the right time....sits down lets me talk a problem thru, askes a few questions and some how suddenly everything becomes clear....or looks around and "what is this wire for?" often rely is snapped "nope nothing to do with it" and many times is" you know how to make me feel stupid" with a big smile lol

My wife doent enjoy the car shows, but car club runs, chatting to the guys who sort of chat her up...she gets a kick out of that, good for the sole lol...she doesnt alway enjoy the company of the other wives because often they dont want to be there...but those who do, and some have their own cars...she has a good time.

I have spent a lotof money on the cars over the years, now she want to do something...go to uni full time....she has supprted me for yrs , now her time to spend a heap of money.. a bloody big heap lol...and thats cool.

Marrage is a wonderful institution...
.just looking to see if the wife is around..nope im safe....
but like all instutions there are small problems..
like the wife and ma in law...

Got to go hear her coming lol

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 09, 03:37 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

Kami, congratulations on getting married and welcome to team camaro!!
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 09, 05:11 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
kevin

congrats on the wedding and for joining up...sounds like you have a great attitude for just starting out in a marriage...both to hubby and the camaro hobby...
lol
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 09, 09:14 AM
Senior Tech
Lex

A Congratulations to you. Wow what a gal, here getting knowledge to get right up there for her husband, your a great one. You've come to the right place these guys here are pros and you'll learn allot. Congrats again a lucky guy he is.

68 Camaro / 400 ci / 3.73 10 /
Edelbrock Performer Series 600 cfm no. 14054
Edelbrock Performer EPS Intake Manifold 27014

98 GMC Suburban / 454 V8 / K2500 4x4

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 09, 12:29 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bill

Welcome! You have come to the right place. Nice to see you both are have a mutual interest in the hobby. BTW make sure one of those first gens is a '67 cause it IS the original

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 09, 01:59 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Kami you are off to a good start....you get all the knowledge then have the husband get his hands dirty ...lol

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 09, 02:03 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

Congratulations, looks like you're going to make a wonderful wife
Here's some help

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 09, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Hmm, I have shown this article to my wife and she immediately suggested where to place it..............I laughed and placed it in the trash can without help...........

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 09, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

That is pretty funny! Is it more funny that someone wrote that out or that I thought those were implied wife duties. LOL. There are SOME good suggestions.
This isn't my first rodeo but I actually want this one to last, so why not (hopefully) form a lifelong hobby. Maybe we won't get bored with each other for a few additional years. HAHA.

I love the feedback and recommendations. So far I believe he does want a 67' and I am leaning towards a 69'. Go figure. I love the idea of making them total opposites. Very cool.

Thank you for the link to check out. Very helpful and I am finding the posts on basics very helpful. The more I am learning the more questions I have and I am getting excited to learn more.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 09, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kami View Post
Very helpful and I am finding the posts on basics very helpful. The more I am learning the more questions I have and I am getting excited to learn more.
The Search function works very well and a ton or two of info can be brought up for review at your pace.

And the questions are? You might start thinking of a library, aka, a reproduction of the Assembly Instruction Manual (AIM) for the year. Most aftermarket places, plus sponsors here, have them and they contain good info as the name says, assemble the car. Swap meets and flea markets are good places for those blue Motors Manuals, especially, the ones closest to the year of car. I have 1969, 1974, 1980, and 1986 manuals I've bought over the years.

'
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 09, 06:41 PM

Congrats on the marriage. My wife has been not only supportive about restoring a classic but she also literally jumped right into it. At first I thought "she's being supportive" but at the end she even picked what she wanted. First she told me "you can buy whatever you want as long it is a convertible" but then she decided she wanted the one and only car we went to look at. Her exact words were " We just won't be able to find a sexier car, look a those lines" so 67 vert it was. Now she's a part of it every step of the way and I COULDN'T BE HAPPIER.
BTW, welcome to the forum, glad to have you with us. Ask away and let it be a fun ride!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode