My project has begun!! - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 09, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Brian

My project has begun!!

Hello everybody, been lurking here for a while but not really posting until now. As my name says I have a 1967 rs, that I just started tearing apart. It was originally a 327 car (don't have original now a 350) power glide, drum brakes etc. It was originally bought in So Cal, and spent most of its life there until it went to Missouri in the late 90's I believe. My dad bought it there and brought it to WI, he only had it about a year when he died and I bought it to settle the estate. Car seems to be really solid and pretty straight, so not a lot of body work to be done, but it is a little rusty under the vinyl top. I have a lot of plans and more time than money!! Here is what I plan to do with the car:
Tremec 6-speed (Kessler)
9 inch with 3.73 gears (Currie)
4 wheels of disc brakes
I have not decided on motor yet I might rebuild the one I have or buy a crate motor? I would like 400-450 hp
lowered 1.5"
17" center line wheels
color-Sterling gray with a black bumble bee
before I started 2 weaks ago:

Here is what it looks like currently

The car is going to the body shop next week to get the roof fixed and sealed up because of a little rust before all the temp. changes that come with a WI winter. When it gets back from there I am replacing the drive train and doing all the mechanicals. I am also painting the bottom of the car and the engine bay. Then it goes back to the body shop to have the interior and exterior media blasted and painted. My time frame is 3 years but hopfully I can have it done sooner! I have never restored a car before so I will be leaning on you guys a little bit, and giving little advice based on my experience. Looking forward to this
Please feel free to comment or question any of my plans!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 09, 05:19 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Garage
Re: My project has begun!!

Looks great! very solid

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 400 Dart Little"M", SRP 10.2:1, 4340 Scat rotating Assy, Solid Roller, AFR 210 Eliminators, Jesel shaft rockers,Super vic, Prosystems 847CFM, Tko600, 12 bolt 4:10 Eaton posi W/ Strange Hy-Tuf race axles and eliminators.
Best E.T. (11.96 @ 118.06) N/A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Classic Copper 4 Spd

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 09, 05:25 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

Send a message via AIM to Pro-Street69Camaro468 Send a message via Yahoo to Pro-Street69Camaro468

Welcome to Team Camaro,looks like your on the right path.Hows the engine compartment are you going for a stock apearing engine bay.Har are you taking it apart are you removing the front clip and subframe...

PRO.ST69orange

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 09, 05:31 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Man looks like your off to a very good start.

I NEED TO HIT THE LOTTERY
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 09, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-Street69Camaro468 View Post
Welcome to Team Camaro,looks like your on the right path.Hows the engine compartment are you going for a stock apearing engine bay.Har are you taking it apart are you removing the front clip and subframe...
I would like the engine bay to have a clean look very minimal, I was actually thinking of putting manual brakes and steering in! Since I am on some what of a budget (at least my wife says I am) and what I have works I have decided against this.

I plan on taking the whole front of the car apart, but not putting it back together! That reminds me that I need to mention that to the body guy next week to make sure that is alright with him! I want to keep him happy!

I have some head light (relay?) issues to work out and I think they would be easier to work on with the fenders and such off?!
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 09, 05:42 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

Send a message via AIM to Pro-Street69Camaro468 Send a message via Yahoo to Pro-Street69Camaro468

Make sure you get every detail straight with the bodyshop so there are no hidden costs.Is the shop going to do it at a set cost or by the hour.I think this will be your biggest expence make sure you get all your ducks in a row...

PRO.ST69orange

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 09, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-Street69Camaro468 View Post
Make sure you get every detail straight with the bodyshop so there are no hidden costs.Is the shop going to do it at a set cost or by the hour.I think this will be your biggest expence make sure you get all your ducks in a row...
Agreed, he is doing it as a time and material job, he don't like bidding resorations because he said you never know what you will find which I understand. He has been pretty good about letting me do what I can and want to do myself. When he first looked at the car he shot me a ball park number. He recommended a rotisserie (he never climbed under it) and I never mentioned it was a southern car. After all the interior is out it I don't think it will be necessary?! I will be expecting a closer and lower estimate now that he can see the car naked.

He did a friend of mines 69 Mustang (same situation) and I have seen a few other cars that he has done and he does a really nice job, so at least I should not have to worry about that part!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 09, 06:36 PM
Senior Tech
Silvio

Congrats on your venture. I am too in the process of restoring mine andThe best way to go is to make a decision and stick with it but I would not sweat it to much... I initially elected to have it painted with the clip-on but then went with the rotisserie. The beauty of it is that it is your project and your preferences.
It sounds like your car is solid whereby you won't have too much metal work so you can always change your mind down the road. If you decide initially to have it painted with the body on the frame, you can always change your decision after the sheet metal is done and before you send it to paint. If you then decide on a ground-up project, it should only take 4-5 hours to have them take the front-clip, rear suspension and remaining parts off.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 09, 02:46 AM
Senior Tech
frank

Congrats on the 67RS! Put I am a "little" bias

67 Camaro RS - 383 Stroker
Factory A/C - Muncie 4 speed
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 09, 03:04 AM
Senior Tech
Frank

Looks like a excellent start. Good luck.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 09, 05:18 AM
Senior Tech
Broc

Congrats Brian, where in Wisco are you?

1968 Camaro SS 350
--350, muncie 4spd, 12 bolt 3.31 (multi-leaf)

1967 Camaro (plain jane)
--350, muncie 4spd, 12 bolt 3.31 (mono-leaf)

1965 Chevelle Malibu SS 327
--327, powerglide, 12 bolt
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 09, 07:46 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sleeper 327 View Post
Congrats Brian, where in Wisco are you?
Eau Claire, Menomonie area and you?
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 09, 01:46 PM
Senior Tech
Broc

Madison Area

1968 Camaro SS 350
--350, muncie 4spd, 12 bolt 3.31 (multi-leaf)

1967 Camaro (plain jane)
--350, muncie 4spd, 12 bolt 3.31 (mono-leaf)

1965 Chevelle Malibu SS 327
--327, powerglide, 12 bolt
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 10, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Brian

Just thought I give a little update! Well the I made a deal with the body shop so they are just keeping the car all winter and working on it as kinda of filler, this saves me a lot of money and I pay him cash if you know what I mean!

They got roof all patched up, the drip rails shaved, and the pillars extended for the flush mounted glass that I bought. Here are some pictures:

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 10, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Brian

Attn Mod: I would like to have this thread moved to the pro touring section if possible

Thanks Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode