Hello From KY - '69 Rustmaro - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 09, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Greg

Hello From KY - '69 Rustmaro

Hello everyone. We've been looking for a car for me and my dad to work on and found a 1969 Camaro. It's a non-numbers matching X-11, but we doubt it's an SS. We don't know much about it, but this is what we've gathered thus far...

1.) We got it from Princeton, IN. That guy got it from MI. There's plenty of rust on the bottom to show for it.

2.) Engine is a 350sb from a '75 Chevrolet Truck. We know it's been beefed up, but we don't know what all it's got. It has long tube headers, holly contender allumium intake, holley 4160 Series Carb (750CFM), electric fuel pump (if anyone can explain to me why the previous owner did that, I'd appreciate it), and sounds as if it's been cammed but we're not sure.

3.) It has a Turbo 350 automatic, but won't go into park. The shift cable will go into all the gears except park. When you attempt to put it in park, the cable will bend instead of push. We're thinking we could replace the cable and it'd be okay, but any insight would be great. It also leaks though we haven't looked at it closely to try and fix that.

4.) The entire bottom side is rotted and needs to be replaced. I expect we'll be asking many questions (assuming I can't find them in search) about how to go about that. Appears we'll need an entire floor pan with toe boards, torque box/leaf spring bracket, frame rails, and trunk panel first and foremost.

5.) The rest of the body isn't that much better. Some can hopefully be saved, but it appears we'll have quite a bit of work ahead of us.

So anyway, thought I'd stop in, say hello, tell you what we got (we paid 5k for it... we'll see if that was a good deal) and say we expect to show up every so often to ask questions. Here's hoping we can get it all done.

Click To Enbiggen

My 1969 Camaro Project Car:
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 09, 08:51 PM
Senior Tech
JAY

Re: Hello From KY - '69 Rustmaro

Greetings from Arizona<
Jay and bj
69 Camaro Conv
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 09, 03:39 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Welcome, Greg. Looks to be quite the project.
Looks like an ex-bracket car for Street.
Knob in dash for manual choke?

You might disconnect the cable at the trans shift lever and see if trans will go into Park. If it does, then cable needs adjusting up by the shift lever, you lengthen/shorten the cable where it attaches to the horseshoe handle.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 09, 03:50 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

Welcome to team camaro!!!!!!!!!!!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 09, 04:10 AM
Senior Tech
Jay

I have seen alot worse!!! Good luck!!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 09, 05:37 AM
Senior Tech
Creight

Welcome to the site.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 09, 09:15 AM
Senior Tech
Don

Welcome from a fellow Kentuckian, I'm currently putting floors in my 67 as well has paint, firewall smoothing and fixing a lot of Bubba's work....

You should have lots of experience by the time you are done with yours.... and it will be worth it.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 09, 10:53 AM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Welcome to TC and you have definitely come to the right site. I'm in the process of replacing all the floors plus way more on mine and so are several others here at TC. Enjoy the project and try to look at it in as a bunch of smaller jobs makes it way easier to stay focused and keep going.

My 68's resurrection thread

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 09, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Greg

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. I'll be first to admit my knowledge in cars is little, especially in older cars. Oldest thing I've worked on is my 1983 GMC S-15 with a 2.8L V-6, and it's... nothing like this. My dad however owned 2 69's when he was younger and seems to know where everything is suppose to be and go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
Welcome, Greg. Looks to be quite the project.
Looks like an ex-bracket car for Street.
Knob in dash for manual choke?

You might disconnect the cable at the trans shift lever and see if trans will go into Park. If it does, then cable needs adjusting up by the shift lever, you lengthen/shorten the cable where it attaches to the horseshoe handle.
The knob was for manual choke, yes. It's not hooked up though. Sure be handy if it was. I put a video on youtube today so my friend could hear it idle when it was warmed up, but the link if any of you reading are curious is

I'll tell my dad about trying to do what you said, just to be sure it's not an out of adjustment cable. He seems convinced that the cable is bad, perhaps bent or something. It will go into all gears with that perfect little clicking sound except park. If you put it in park, there's no click and the cable just bows instead of pushing the rod the rest of the way to park. You can put your hand under the car and push it in park yourself. But we can always try adjusting it. Be nice to save 40 bucks after all.

My 1969 Camaro Project Car:
-

-
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 09, 05:30 PM
Senior Tech
Chris

Welcome to TC from another Kentuckian, Greg.
from the sounds on that video, something tells me I might be seeing that car at Windy Hollow next summer ?
Chris

'69 SS X66 Camaro
454, TH400 & GearVendor, 12 bolt
'82 Corvette.
stock
'81 Camaro Pro Bracket car.
406, TH350, 10 bolt, NHRA #3148
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 09, 06:24 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
john

Welcome aboard Greg. Your project reminds me alot of where my car started out. I would love to have had my dad around to help me with mine. Looks like you have many great hours of "Fun" ahead of you.

Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode