New guy with a 69 - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 10, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

New guy with a 69

Hello everyone. Iím Pete. I work at Hatfield Restorations in Canton, Texas so I am quite familiar with what it takes to restore a car from the ground up. I do it every day!

Iím not really much of a muscle car era guy ut I love all car the same. I build Traditional Customs from the 30ís - the 50ís. Camaros arenít new to me but this will be my first personal Camaro build.

My father recently passed away and left me his 69 Camaro. From what I can tell so far, from just the vin, it is a base small block car. I still need to get the cowl tag info to further decode the car.

It needs a ton of work but is very solid because it has never spent even one night outside in itís entire life.

My dad purchased the car in 1981 (I was 6 months old ) It was a 70ís built Pro Street car (Backhalfed, full cage, the works). He proceeded to tear it completely apart to do some modifications and never was able to complete them. It has been in dry storage since 1984.

I am building the car as a tribute to my dad who was a life long gear head and gave me the skills to get where I am today.

I am here to learn about the 69 Camaro and to have some support and aid in building the car how my dad wanted to build it himselfÖ

Last edited by The235Kid; Jan 24th, 10 at 05:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 10, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Re: New guy with a 69

Here is a picture of Dad the day he got the car in 1981. It was non running but complete. Lot of boxes full of parts came with it. Still have all those parts. They should aid in the restoration.

Last edited by The235Kid; Jan 24th, 10 at 05:11 PM.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 10, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Welcome to the Club, Pete. Nice project and plan you have.
She looks like a good start.
I must say, those are some pretty darn wide tires and does appear the qtrs have been trimmed/stretched to fit.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 10, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

I think you are correct.

I'm not really sure where to go with the build at this point. I am leaning toward a more factory look.

Fixing the quarters and narrowing the 9Ē even more to fit the tires properly and building a second rearend for the street and a stock look. It would be hard to drive on the street with the gears that are in it now. It's got a 9" with 5.80 something gears.

OR even put it back to stock floor pans and getting rid of the back half and the role cage.

Last edited by The235Kid; Jan 24th, 10 at 05:12 PM.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 10, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

5.88's? Eighth mile car or quarter mile?
Alot of work ahead if you plan on going back to stock, but your credentials state you have the knowledge.

Keeping the body square is the key, er, second key. Patience is the first key.

Take pictures and make an album - it will be useful later in life.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 10, 04:55 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Doug

Welcome to Team Camaro

==Doug
Former
owner
Former
owner
Former 2nd
owner (
)
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 10, 04:58 PM
Senior Tech
Ryan

Welcome...your story reminds me of my 64 Vette....it was my grandfathers and my fathers..and now mine...I was not a big Vette guy but the car has a lot of sentimental value to me.

1969 X66
1964 Corvette 327/300
1998 SS Vert
1987 Regal

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 10, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
5.88's? Eighth mile car or quarter mile?
Alot of work ahead if you plan on going back to stock, but your credentials state you have the knowledge.

Keeping the body square is the key, er, second key. Patience is the first key.

Take pictures and make an album - it will be useful later in life.
I think that is what he said. 5.88's sounds right. It was a quarter mile car.

An album is a great idea. I have taken over 1500 pictures, in 2 years, of my other project. Being in the industry taught me that you can never take enough pictures!

Thank you guys for the warm welcome.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 10, 05:38 PM
Senior Tech
Paul

Thumbs up Re: New guy with a 69

Welcome to team camaro!!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 10, 03:56 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

Welcome to team camaro!! Great year!!

BILL D.
JOHN 3:16
SEMPER FI
if you have a bbc in your 1st gen 67-69 camaro click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post yours up!!

if you have an all original 1st gen camaro 67-69 click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post your up!!

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 10, 10:35 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jerome

Welcome Pete ,cool history ,I just lost my Pop's too ,he left me his 1965 Buick Wildcat picture in my sig ,but not a good one,have fun and always remember your Dad ....Happy Motoring

1972 Nova SS , 350, Auto, AC, Survivor

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 10, 04:07 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

Welcome to TC!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 10, 04:19 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

Welcome Pete. Sorry to hear about your dad. There are a lot of guys here that know there stuff so anything we can do just let us know. We all like pictures so the ones back from 81 are a great start. Good Luck.

Z282NV

1969 Camaro
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 10, 06:58 PM
Senior Tech
JAY

Greetings from Arizona
Nice car...Great story and history
I have whats left of my grand fathers 32 Ford p/u sitting on my back porch...Some day....
Jay and Bj

66 SS Chevyll
67 Elcamino
68 Malibu 2dr
69 Camaro Convertible
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 10, 03:43 PM
Senior Tech
Jimmie-Retired

It sounds like your dad was a relatively young man. Sorry for your loss. I lost my dad in '04 and I will never get over it but life is for the living so we must all go on. Cherish and honor your dad's memory and build it like he would have done.

Jim's '69

68 SS 396 4 speed A/C Bought New Sold 1976
68 350/350 A/C Bought 1978 $700 Wrecked
69 350 4 Speed Bought 1988
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode