Hello Camaro owners - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 10, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Hello Camaro owners

Am not yet a camaro owner - anticipating to be.
Dad has a 1968 convertible, straight-6, nearly all other features are original standard options. Car is in very good condition for age, no work done to it, always shedded, all original, dusty & maybe some rust.

I do not have any particular plans for this car, but might want to make it a project. Am ok mechanically, but never much more than replacing 1970 & 1980's starter, alternator, etc on other cars - no body work, engine or transmission work.

Here are my questions -- if I take ownership of this car:

1) Should I just restore it to better ma & pa condition without doing any modification to engine, transmission, etc....is this best option?

2- If I wanted to replace the straight 6 - auto transmission, can I? Best fit 8 cylinder? What if I wanted to go wild with restoration, would things fit very well to change engines, transmission, etc?

3)- If major restoration/modification is possible, what would be the range of price I'd be likely to pay for conversion to small or big block w/transmission, etc (complete job done by professional)?

4) Not sure what to do...wife & I would sure enjoy summer driving, likely to not be going to shows, other than maybe small town parade.

Thanks for your opinions. Joe newbie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 10, 07:02 PM
Senior Tech
JAY

Re: Hello Camaro owners

Greetings from Arizona
I'm #2 owner of mine...its a driver that I did my way...350/77r4 trans/10 bolt posi. converted to disc brakes for safty. we do shows' get togathers with friends, and have put on picnics for friends and other car nuts. Its your choice of what your want..if car is all orginal then you may want to keep it that way and restore back to better then orginal
what ever you do.....jay

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

66 SS Chevyll
67 Elcamino
68 Malibu 2dr
69 Camaro Convertible
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 10, 04:08 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Welcome, Joe.
1) Yes, the best option. It ain't broke, don't fix it. If the decision is made to keep it in the present configuration, fix the "moles/warts" on the ol' girl, strip off as much chrome/moldings as you can, and give her a new skin color. Polish the original moldings and reinstall. Replace the worn items in the interior. Importantly, keep as much of ther original items as you can.

2)Yes, a SBC, usually a crate engine, will fit after the 6-cyl frame mounts are exchanged for V8 mounts and change the front springs. Going to a 3-spd auto trans, aka, TH350, will give up three forward gears for better acceleration and is a simple swap. Installing a TH200-R4 will give you overdrive and some crossmember/driveshaft mods will be needed.

3)Talk it over with the shop of your choice.

Myself, I'd leave the girl as in #1. Nothing makes a statement better than an original equipped vehicle and the 'patina' she has received over the years. However, she is or will be your car and you're asking opinions from others on what to do. Good luck.

Pictures?

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 10, 05:45 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Welcome Joe

I NEED TO HIT THE LOTTERY
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 10, 07:20 AM
Senior Tech

Welcome to the TC Crew, Joe.

Ev made some great suggestions...if ya going for the power, the 350 is the way to go...or a 383 build up. If the body's in good shape , no bubbles anywhere, keep the orig paint, unless there's too many touch ups.

Sounds like you're gonna farm out most of the work...ie. paint, new mill, tranny...and if you do, it could become pretty costly!

You have a vert which is a good thing, providing that the rockers are in good shape...but does the car have any sought after options? AM/FM radio, AC, sports wheel, head rests, RS package, etc.?

Bottom line: Get more than one quote on any of the the work... lots of referrences, and it may take some pretty deep pockets to complete all that you want to do. So, sometimes better to keep the sixer the way she is. IMO

capt

Bumper sticker- I'm not SPEEDING
I'm QUALIFYING!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 10, 08:19 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Doug

Welcome to Team Camaro - I agree with Everette -- if the car is in good running order, clean it up and drive it as-is. That approach will give you time to do some research to help you decide what you want to do in the long-term

==Doug
Former
owner
Former
owner
Former 2nd
owner (
)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 10, 10:04 AM
Retired
Jim

where in MN are you? I agree with others. If its running good, keep the 6 banger, clean it up and drive the tires off it as is. Hang around the Mpls Camaro club too if you can. Im to far away but they are a nice group of folks.

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 10, 10:07 AM
Senior Tech
Paul

Thumbs up Re: Hello Camaro owners

Welcome to team camaro!!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 10, 10:24 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

Welcome to team camaro!

BILL D.
JOHN 3:16
SEMPER FI
if you have a bbc in your 1st gen 67-69 camaro click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post yours up!!

if you have an all original 1st gen camaro 67-69 click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post your up!!

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 10, 04:55 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Welcome to Team Camaro. Build it the way you want it and enjoy it.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 10, 07:15 PM
Team Member
Jerry R.

Only my opinion but as long as you are asking,
There is nothing more interesting than a 6 cylinder first gen.
Everybody has a v8
I spend way more time looking under the hood of a 6 at a car show. Just sooo cool.
That's just me

my Magnaflow X-pipe system sound clip, click the link

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode