My First - it's a 67 Convertible! - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 10, 06:04 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

My First - it's a 67 Convertible!

Hello all,

Two days ago, I bought my first ever Camaro, and pretty much first ever muscle car. I did have a '76 Lemans that we put a Chevy 327 in for my first car, but that was about 25 years ago!

I'm pretty excited about the new Camaro! It has been sitting under a cover for 3-4 years, so it was somewhat of an adventure driving it home, running rough with half-flat tires.

The previous owner said it had a "crate engine" installed about 10 years ago, but gave no further details. I expected some low power Jasper truck engine. I found the receipt and googled the part number. Turns out it's a ZZ4 engine - 355hp, 405ft lb of torque! I just really, really, REALLY hope that I didn't hurt the engine on the 10 mile drive home on 3 or 4 year old oil and gas. We did pour a few gallons of fresh gas from a can he had in his shed, but still. . . I has wanted to change the oil before I drove it home but the owner didn't want jack stands sinking into his asphalt, and didn't want me doing it on the street because of the neighbors. Oh well, it's home now and I hope to get it running better.

This is going to be a lot of fun! Thanks in advance for answering the thousand questions I'll likely ask.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 10, 06:14 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Re: My First - it's a 67 Convertible!

Congrats, and welcome. Guess what... we want to know MORE about your car. Imagine that... you've found a captive audience for everything about your car.

Post some pics, give us the VIN, the Trim Tag (Cowl Tag) info, and let us 'oogle' your baby for awhile.... offer you some advice, and watch you fall madly in love with the best car on the planet.... Okay, I'm biased.

Again, congrats.... now post some pics!

1967 Base Camaro - Marina Blue - #'s matching Drivetrain. A '10C' car built in Oct of 66, just like me!
1986 Base Sport Coupe - Currently in modification
1987 RS - Being used for parts for the 86
Previously owned: 1995 Base Sport Coupe
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 10, 06:26 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Awesome! I have an audience!

I'm at work and don't have access to the cowl tag, but the VIN is 124677N191166.

To be honest, I don't know a ton about the car yet. It badly needs a new roof, paint and carpet. The steering feels terrible. I already plan to do the late model steering box upgrade. But the rest of the interior is really nice, and aside from a few surface rust spots starting to creep up, the body looks good - can't see any signs of bondo.

I bought it for $9,600 bucks. I honestly don't know if that's a really good deal, but it seems fair for the condition of the car. It's got hubcaps, 4-wheel non-power drum brakes (yikes!) and a powerglide. Not the greatest combo!

I'll post more as it occurs to me. I'm at work and don't have a bunch of pics, but if I can post from photobucket, here's one of my backing it into the driveway right after I bought it! If it doesn't work, I'll try later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts4coke View Post
Congrats, and welcome. Guess what... we want to know MORE about your car. Imagine that... you've found a captive audience for everything about your car.

Post some pics, give us the VIN, the Trim Tag (Cowl Tag) info, and let us 'oogle' your baby for awhile.... offer you some advice, and watch you fall madly in love with the best car on the planet.... Okay, I'm biased.

Again, congrats.... now post some pics!

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 10, 06:45 AM
Senior Tech
Paul

Thumbs up Re: My First - it's a 67 Convertible!

Welcome to team camaro and beautiful Rallysport convertible!!! Looks like you got a good deal to me!!
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 10, 07:05 AM
Senior Tech

You look like a pretty proud pappa sitting in that car. Looks like a great deal... be sure and do a close inspection of the rockers, though... and make sure that that support brace in place in the under chassis.

capt

Bumper sticker- I'm not SPEEDING
I'm QUALIFYING!
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 10, 07:50 AM
Senior Tech
Vic

is that a lake in your backyard? thats nice lol..

oh and car looks cool too, repaint it black, with black rims!

Vic
1969 Camaro SS
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 10, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Yep, it's a little six acre "lake" in the backyard. That's actually the next door neighbor's house - mine's on the other side of the driveway. I kinda live in the hood, but 12 years ago when I found a house on a lake with a garage within my budget, I had to go for it.

Thanks for all the car suggestions! Black paint is likely on the list. Rockers look good from what I can tell, and I'll check on the brace as soon as I figure out where it's supposed to be. I've got a big learning curve ahead of me. Looking forward to working on the car tonight!

I've been spending valuable work time looking into various wheel and tire combos. I gotta get rid of what's on there, mainly because they're old, cracked and probably flatspotted. They felt way out of balance on my short ride home, and the car just wandered all over the place.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 10, 08:15 AM
Kevin

Welcome Mike! I used to live in Highland Springs. Luck on the 67!

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 10, 08:56 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Looks good, very original! There are lots of posts on swapping out powerglides, steering boxes and drum brakes so you will not lack for info.
Best of luck with it!

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

-
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 10, 09:09 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Welcome to Team Camaro. Very nice looking car...

Matt

post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 10, 09:25 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Also, since you self-admitted that you didn't know much about the car, make sure you use the Camaro Research Group at www.camaros.org - CRG is THE place to go for information about everything you are going to be learning about your car.

1967 Base Camaro - Marina Blue - #'s matching Drivetrain. A '10C' car built in Oct of 66, just like me!
1986 Base Sport Coupe - Currently in modification
1987 RS - Being used for parts for the 86
Previously owned: 1995 Base Sport Coupe
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 10, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

This site is going to be very, very bad for my wallet. My original plans were a tuneup, new roof, new paint, and new carpet.

I've already added a steering box swap, leaf spring swap, new wheels and tires. . .

I'm sure I'll come up with more before the end of the day.

The previous owner did say that the transmission might leak. Maybe a TH350 swap. Hmmm. . .
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 10, 10:38 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Vince

Garage

Killer car AND house!

1967 327 4spd convertible 119K
1968 RS Z/28 04D Norwood have owned twice
1968 RS Z/28 04D Van Nuys asleep for 36 years
1969 Z/28 X33
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 10, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3forme View Post
Killer car AND house!
Thanks, but trust me, neither the car nor the house is nearly as nice looking in real life as in the pic! In fact, that's actually the next door neighbor's house. It's vacant and for sale if you want to buy it. We can drink some beers and work on our cars!

One foot in the grave, the other on a banana peel. . .
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 10, 11:01 AM
Senior Tech
Frank

Welcome from Niagara!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode