Hey Hey! - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 10, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
John

Hey Hey!

Hello All,
I have been a long time reader of the site and recently got the fire to get my car back on the road, in part from reading the forums here. I have a 69 Z/28 that that I bought back in ’91. In the time since then car has been parked, driven, dented, parked, fixed, gone to England, wrecked, restoration started and abandon, shipped back to the US, sat, and is now currently undergoing a complete frame off rebuild. I started the rebuild in England with a friend and quickly got overwhelmed by the amount of work the car needed.
Intimidation and loss of interest put the car in limbo for 8 years. Last summer I got tired of looking at the car rotting in the garage so I looked for a place to have it restored. I found a little local shop that only does restorations. I looked at their current customer projects and the ones in their own collection, (which was a very nice mix of cars), and decided I could trust my car with them. I have many photos of the work they have done so far and I will work on getting them posted on the site, once I figure out what forum to put them in.

Car Details
Build date = 09A
Exterior = X77 D80, paint code 71 71
Interior = 713
Drive train = # matching M21 and 12 bolt
Engine = Currently working with the 3rd owner (I’m #9) to get the proper build dated 302. I can’t say # matching as he can’t see a VIN on the block. But, the block code/build date is clear and looks correct, V0827DZ. He is 99% sure it is the original since he knows owner 1 & 2 and they didn’t replace the engine. (he also knows owners 4-6, and I know owners 7-8) The motor has been in his rail since the ‘80s. He is very cool and willing to part with the motor for the price of a 383 GM crate motor. Even if I can’t say # matching, a DZ for $4.2K still looks to be a good deal.

My Plan
The car is being built to be driven and enjoyed, and to be safer. It will be painted the stock color of Lemans Blue, the interior will be the stock hounds tooth with a smaller wood steering wheel and bolt-in one piece shoulder/lap belt, (the thought of hitting that steering wheel in an accident scares me). The 302 and M21 trans are going to be stored, along with all the suspension and steering components. New 5 speed, A-arms w/coil overs, 1 1/2” drop leafs, sway bars, 4 wheel disk brakes, and power rack are direct bolt in replacements, NO cutting. All mods will be reversible to stock. The engine is currently in the idea phase. A 302ci with a Procharger is my current plan. Why so small if not going with the original? Small cubes equals less gas consumption. Then forced induction to make up for low compression (pump gas) lack of cubes. Also, there’s that first question asked of a Z/28 owner, “Does it have a 302 in it?”

Last edited by FarFromSane; Apr 18th, 10 at 03:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 10, 04:01 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

Re: Hey Hey!

Welcome to team camaro!

BILL D.
JOHN 3:16
SEMPER FI
if you have a bbc in your 1st gen 67-69 camaro click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post yours up!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

if you have an all original 1st gen camaro 67-69 click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post your up!!

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 10, 08:11 AM
Senior Tech
Paul

Thumbs up Re: Hey Hey!

Welcome to team camaro!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 10, 05:06 PM
Senior Tech
Frank

Welcome from Niagara! There's a lot to be said for a more fuel-efficient engine if you want to drive it a lot.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 10, 05:10 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Doug

Welcome and good luck with the project

==Doug
Former
owner
Former
owner
Former 2nd
owner (
)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode