Hello there, ford guy, dont hate :( lol - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 10, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Nick T

Hello there, ford guy, dont hate :( lol

I suppose im ford guy, i love the 67-68 mustang fastback, 03-04 cobra, 89-93 5.0/ saleen and the 00-03 saleen... now that i got my sins on the table... would i be hated here?

i have always wanted to restore a 69 camaro and a 67 chevelle, after doing some searching on craiglist and ebay, i see some 69 camaros listed at 10-15k and some listed at 40-50k, me not knowing much, i have no clue why. also there being a Yenko... is that like a Shelby in fords?

also there being RS and SS and Z28 ... i know today RS is V6 and Z28 is V8 and SS is the baddest super sport, but it seems for the 69 its a bit different with RS being the more rare one and more expensive.

maybe i got my bearing mixed up, but i have been wanting to learn about these cars and their options before trying to find the best platform to start with... but you guys know how it is starting something totaly new, its hard to learn. heck my first fastback restoration only took 6 years lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 10, 01:33 PM
Senior Tech
Timothy

Re: Hello there, ford guy, dont hate :( lol

Ill put the hatorade back in the fridge a minute. Its good you came here first. I made the mistake of coming here last. There are plenty and I do mean plenty camaro clones out there. SCAMMERS, BEWARE!

Prices vary depending on condition and options. Yes Motion and Yenko were like Saleen and Shelby and are very high dollar cars.

RS could be added to any camaro from the 6banger to the 427. It usually fetches a few thousand more for a car that has that option.

SS was the high performance option. Z-28 was the trans am racer. BTW Z-28s came with the small block 302.

Welcome to Team Camaro!

My 69 RS/SS 396 Project -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I may be dumb but I aint stupid"
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 10, 01:34 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

OK, RS is option, it's hide away head lights, Yenko is kinda like a Shelby, SS is kinka like a 390 GT. RS is a looks not a performance option. you ca have a 6 cyl, RS.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 10, 01:37 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

welcome to team camaro
if you wanna learn something, click on the below link!!

BILL D.
JOHN 3:16
SEMPER FI
if you have a bbc in your 1st gen 67-69 camaro click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post yours up!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

if you have an all original 1st gen camaro 67-69 click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post your up!!

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 10, 03:21 PM
Senior Tech
Adam

You came to the right place my friend. Read here first, then read some more. Then probably a lot more VIN/Trim Tag Decode would be a good place to start.

Then read more here;

http://www.camaros.org

There are VOLUMES of information and you've found the index!

Welcome to TC!

67 RS/SS "YELR67"
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 10, 03:54 PM
Senior Tech
Don

Welcome to Team Camaro.

Chevy people tend to be more "forgiving" than the other brand. Last time I went to a Ford board I was called names and hounded! lol

I guess if they have to hate a brand, it might as well be the best!!

Don ~ TC Member #15 ~

Don't mess with Texas!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 10, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Nick T

yea ford guys tend to be more bashing, i dislike the mustang forums because they seem to know everything and everyone is wrong about everything, and their car is the best lol so now i tend to just keep things to myself.

ok just for my note

RS can be any platform, its an options like a deluxe option? Hide away lights is the RS, i like those, i preffer those.

Z28 is the 302 option v8 only? ... 302 ford and 302 chevy, great this will get confusing

SS is the high performance option, with just one engine option or could have been added to any model as a performance option from factory?

Motion is like a Saleen and Yenko is like a shelby ... im assuming they are both very rare, and if found, they would cost a lot? and a lot of people try to clone those, as the shelbys get cloned left and right.. and the only way to know is either trust the seller or check the vin. Speaking of which, anyone have that VIN link decoder handy?

one last thing, chevy also had the big block and small block engines just as ford has as well? im currently working on a 351 Windsor which is a small block, but im putting a 427 stroker in it, so it would be a 427 small block, great for weight and power, its a bit pushing it on the stroke tho... wondering if Chevy has 350 small block and 350 big block option as well?

thanks guys for the links, ill read up and learn up.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 10, 05:32 PM
Senior Tech
Paul

Thumbs up Re: Hello there, ford guy, dont hate :( lol

Welcome to team camaro!!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 10, 07:05 AM
Retired
Jim

SS could have been small block 350 with 4 barrel carb or 396 as well. Only the 396 cars had their tail panel painted black so you knew from behind it was a 396. (a few exceptions depending on body color).
Z28 was the 302 ONLY. A Z28 cannot be an SS, it is its own special breed of car.
As said, RS could go on any car with any other options, it was on a list you checked off to order.
If you are thinking of restoring a Camaro, you are forgiven for owning a F***. Heck I also own a Tahoe, Nissan, Jeep and a Honda 4wheeler.

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 10, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Nick T

haha is there something wrong with this picture?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	15591  
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 10, 06:40 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT500916 View Post
I suppose im ford guy, i love the 67-68 mustang fastback, 03-04 cobra, 89-93 5.0/ saleen and the 00-03 saleen... now that i got my sins on the table... would i be hated here?

Get out.

j/k

I think brand bias usually tend to go with people who only own newer cars. Guys with classics seem to appreciate all of them.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 10, 12:30 AM
Apprentice
Josh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steiner View Post
Get out.

j/k

I think brand bias usually tend to go with people who only own newer cars. Guys with classics seem to appreciate all of them.

I think brand bias usually tend to go with people who only own newer cars. Guys with classics seem to appreciate all of them
X2

A Big Welcome...from The RPE Team!
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 10, 04:55 AM
Senior Tech

Hey Nick! Glad to have ya aboard. You've seen the light!... now take a first gen, put her into a few corners, go over a few wicked bumps, and study the lines of the Cam. The light will be a lot brighter after that ride... trust me!

capt

Bumper sticker- I'm not SPEEDING
I'm QUALIFYING!
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 10, 05:10 AM Thread Starter
Nick T

the hardest choice of all is picking out the right 69 to start with.. since i dont know much about them yet, im assuming any straight CA car with minimal rust is a goor start? im figuring there is no point at searching for that rare model, that specific vin, etc etc... it would be nice to get the best possible, but with my limited knowledge ill try to shoot for the straightest minimal rust for the best price, running or not ill still be redoing it all anyways.... the more complete i get it , the more ill learn by taking it apart and putting it back together as i go.

can you guys give me a ballpark on what a running condition 69 daily driver with nothing fancy, could be found for?
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 10, 05:31 AM
Senior Tech

You might consider taking a broader approach and take a look at the other two years as well. The times are such as there are many "deals" out there as the market has softened quite a bit. The cream of the cream still hold one to their upper price ranges (copos/Yenkos, etc.), but the non matching, and everyday runners are a lot more available today.

I'd suggest picking up a few books on the Cam (Hemmings, etc.)...seach the web (Craig, Ebay, etc.), look into the CRG site, check out a few more Cam sites in order to get a feeling (models/options, etc.) for this breed of car.

You are not a newbie to this hobby, so you know what to look for in the weaknesses of cars in vintage cars in general, eh?.

Check out the archives on the TC site, and you will find lots of past discussions on this very issue.

Good luck on your quest!

capt

Bumper sticker- I'm not SPEEDING
I'm QUALIFYING!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode