A Gift ..... - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old May 9th, 10, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Gatti

A Gift .....

After browsing thru and gaining valuable information I decided to post my first thread. I decided to put effort in getting a 1968 back to respectable status. Car has been sitting for 11 years and was obtain as a gift. Not too much paper work on the car by after carefully inspecting it has matching number 327 standard spec motor and was upgraded to a TH350 auto. The rear seems to be a stock 10 bolt with some old style ladder bars hooked on single leaf springs. The exhaust looks like a mess and has dual cherry bomb looking mufflers with old looking headers. I was told maybe the headers were made by Blackjack? The engine is a 327 and what appears to be the stock heads.(327/210 Hp) Aftermarket 6 blade fan and missing fan shroud. It also has a factory 4bbl manifold with a Holly 600 vac secondary and a rusted aftermarket air filter system. It also has factory AC with a few parts disconnected. Anyways I was wondering if this 327/210 hp motor benefit from a few more bolt-on parts such as a different set of heads? The motor seems to have a Cam Dynamics cam based a few stickers placed on both rear windows. I will post a few pics after I figure out how to on this site. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old May 9th, 10, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Gatti

Re: A Gift .....

Here she is.... Faded red, decent interior and a few rust spots in known areas but overall in good condition. What do you think about the Z-28/ Chevelle wheels? Looks like a monster truck. Lol

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old May 9th, 10, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Gatti

Started off with a PG and swapped to a TH350 with a few modifications to the shifter face plate. I believe this one came off from a chevelle?????

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old May 9th, 10, 12:11 PM
Senior Tech
John

Cool Gatti, welcome to TC. Thanks for the pictures.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old May 9th, 10, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Gatti

Thanks man. Most of my work will be under the hood. Still learning what makes these babies run. Should I ditch the stock heads and go with a performance head? Would I need anything else to do a head swap? Thanks

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old May 9th, 10, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Looks nice, especially since its a gift.
Rebuilt alternator since there is a independent rebuilder sticker on the case, I don't see any harness hooked up to it.
You'll like the one finger power steering.
Looks like Blackjack headers.
Looks like 2nd Gen Camaro rally wheels, center cap would have a Z/28 decal or SS decal.
Stack clay on top of air cleaner and close the hood so the height will give you some idea of how thick a filter you can get with out denting the hood; subtract one inch from the height of the clay - allow for engine movement under acceleration.
Find a shroud and the clips for the bottom of the shroud to attach it to the radiator - see the tab on each side sticking out? An S-clip fits onto the tab and the bottom of the shroud.
I don't see any kickdown cable from the trans hooked to the carb linkage lever.
A/C compressor and brackets available?

Cool gift. I myself would get it running first before any modding.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old May 14th, 10, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
Gatti

Thanks Everett you got a good eye. The trans kickdown is not connected and will be this weekend. I'm in process of finding a fan shroud and getting some front end grill pieces back together. The alt. is in fairly good condition and appears to be the most recent addition. The air filter is an aftermarket and I think it will be replaced with something newer. The AC unit is sitting in the trunk and not sure if I have all the brackets but will know once I piece it back together. I luv this car and plan on getting my 2 boys involved on the project. Thanks again.

The Eagle ST are almost brand new and still has the blue stripe markings inside the tread area. These are pretty big tires and I suspect these were probably the last stock in this size availible when purchase 245-60-15's. I would of opt to maybe a 225 width.

Last edited by GNVOVO; May 14th, 10 at 08:03 AM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old May 14th, 10, 08:24 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

You're welcome. Good to get the boys working with you, you'll have to deal with a short attention span tho'.........

Stock size tire are 14's, you have 15's and will make the speedo read slow. Go to a measured mile and time it at indicated 60 mph. Note the time. If you still have the mile left, increase your speed by 5 mph, or until you run the mile in 60 seconds, then read speedo and the difference is the error, MPH's it's off. Not a big deal, just something to do once all the bugs are worked out.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old May 14th, 10, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Gatti

Yeah both boys are eager to learn to turn some wrenches but one of em seem to think he's going to be getting a free ride. Kids these days are different and lazy compared to as I was growing up. I hope to straighten that out with my kids. Lol

Here's another ride they both are so eager to play with: 88 Volvo GLE with a Buick Grand National motor 3.8 V6 turbo. Swapped was done in 1988 by HESCO.

Last edited by GNVOVO; May 14th, 10 at 10:50 AM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old May 14th, 10, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Nice ride......I'd stand in line for it. Can you say SLEEPER?

'
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old May 14th, 10, 01:34 PM
Senior Tech
Tony

if your gonna swap heads i would suggest pulling the whole motor since its numbers matching and just go with a newer beefed sb!! put the original on a stand in the corner!!
while its all out clean the engine bay up (good job for the youngsters) then shoot some rattle can semi gloss here and there!! great looking lil project car!!
just for insperation
mine before

after

before

after

love them all corvettes,camaros,chevelles!!!

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old May 14th, 10, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Gatti

^^^ that looks good^^^ I will keep your suggestion in mind. Getting the youngster to rattle the compartment is a damn good idea! That way they don't have to wait to see the finish work. Thanks man
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old May 14th, 10, 02:35 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Looks great ,,welcome
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old May 14th, 10, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Gatti

Thank you cam6t9, good to be here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode