I'm looking to buy a Camero - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 10, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Matthew

I'm looking to buy a Camero

Hello, my name is Matthew and I live in Tacoma,Washington. I am just about to graduate from High School, and I am looking to buy a car. I first off want to say that I have no intention of spamming this site or posting information of which I haven't a clue about. Also if I came to the wrong place to ask questions I will gladly get rid of this account. I understand answering questions to people who are not serious about what they are talking about is a waste of your time. Again if you consider my questions a waste of your time to answer I will gladly leave.

Another thing i wanted to say before i start asking questions is that I have the money, (possible) time, and tools to restore a car. I am also backed by a exstreamly, motivated, loving family that will help with this project. I also know the right people who may lend their knowledible hand to my project. Also that I love Cameros, particually the older modals.

Heres the questions, How much would it cost for a machine shop to rebuid a 1970's Camero egine( or a modal from around that time)? Given that it is in *decent* shape. I know that I am giving a broad question and that it may be difficult to answer. If it is impossible to estimate without a certain modal please let me know.

Second, how much would it cost to rebuild it myself?
Third is it possible to buy a entirely new engine(or a old one is excellent shape)?
Fourth is it possible to replace a older engine with a brand new engine?
fifth, am I wasting my own time even thinking about it?

Any information is gladly appreciated, even if your telling me to ask elsewhere, thank you.
A side note, I apologize for the misspelling, I generally speak the word more often then I write it, although that is not an excuse.

Last edited by MattMMD; Jun 16th, 10 at 02:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 10, 02:48 PM
Senior Tech
Don

Smile Re: I'm looking to buy a Camero

Welcome Matthew!

One thing about our site is we're funny about the spelling of our cars:

With all due respect, it's CamAro!

BTW, buy a crate engine and be done with it.

Don ~ TC Member #15 ~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don't mess with Texas!
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 10, 02:49 PM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage
Re: I'm looking to buy a Camero

Welcome to Team CAMARO. It's CAMARO, NOT CAMERO !!! Search the topics and look around. There is a whole lot of excellent information here. Good Luck.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 10, 02:50 PM
Senior Tech
Terry

Matthew, welcome to the site, I think it's great you're interested into getting into working on a Camaro. I bought my first '68 Camaro when I was 18 and that's where it all started!

As far as a project, you can get close estimates of how much it might cost to rebuild a small block, or do it yourself, or buy a crate engine...but it can really add up fast if the car needs other things. So I'd say take some time before buying a project- getting a good one will make it a great experience rather than a money pit.

There are Team Camaro members in your area, might be very worthwhile if you had someone into camaros go car shopping with you....good luck!
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 10, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Matthew

I'll be sure to spell check, lol I wont hear the end of this for awhile.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 10, 03:02 PM
Senior Tech
Jess

Welcome, it can all be done. It just take s time and patience.. There are no wrong questions, just the ones not asked.
1. Yes, it may cost around 1000k to rebuild an engine. Machine shop work, parts, rebuild kit. More depending on what you want to do. That is a basic rebuild... Very braod question.
2. Do it yourself? It depends on how worn the engine is.
3. Check out websites like GM Performance Parts, Jegs, Summit Racing, these are three big ones. There are hundreds that sell any type of engine you want.
4. Absolutely. You will need to get a few interchange parts, but guys on here now are swapping the LS series engines into the older cars everyday... Many places are selling kits now to help with the transplant...
5. Daydreaming is not wasting time. Edison thought about the light bulb, what if he had said that. Get some magazines, Super Chvy, Car Craft, all kinds. Ask questions here and dont worry about being the wrong place. Youare in the right place. This is how you learn. I was where you are now about 18 years ago... Hang in there. Yyou can do it...

Jess67
67 Camaro Blue 427, 4-speed, 12 bolt
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 Camaro 350, 200-4R, PS, AC, PB, IN PARTS
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 10, 03:05 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mr. Tibbs

Send a message via AIM to ChevyThunder

Spell check won't help with that one .. just consider it your first bit of gained knowledge from Team Camaro ... no worries !

Welcome to the site . We will all be happy to help you find the right car. Lots of fakes , phonies , cars with bad titles and VINs so be careful.

Anytime you have a popular item or icon like the first generation Camaro unscrupulous people try to make a buck .. The people on TC will help you get the right car and save you from getting burned,

" Burn rubber not your Soul "
Camaro,Camaro,Camaro,Camaro
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 10, 04:24 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Christopher

Welcome;
Don't worry; we will let you know if you ever do that again. I have found this is a great set of people with a good knowledge pool. They are always there to give you a hand when you need it and a poke in the ribs when you need it also.

When looking at a Camaro, just know that what ever you see wrong, that is just the tip of the iceberg.

Everything is as bad as it looks. (And sometimes worse!)

If you page through here you will see the restoration of cars that are nothing left but a screen door for body panels.

Time is your friend.

Don't try to fix everything at once, and always have a written plan on paper before you start anything. Then STICK TO THE PLAN! It is the only way to get anything finished.

Last edited by psy4s; Jun 16th, 10 at 06:26 PM.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 10, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Matthew

Thank you all for the information, it was exactly what I was looking for. I will certainly give you a heads up before I buy a Camero.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 10, 07:22 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMMD View Post
Thank you all for the information, it was exactly what I was looking for. I will certainly give you a heads up before I buy a Camero.

Wow,,he spelled it wrong again. Is he trainable????

Oh yeaa,,welcome to TC.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 10, 07:40 PM
Senior Tech
Doug

Welcome to TC. Buy the best Camaro that you can afford. I would rather go for a solid rust free car with no drive train compared to a bondo rust bucket with a fast engine. Body work is a killer on these old cars. Best of luck and have fun. My first '69 Camaro was at age 16 in high school. You will get hooked for sure.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 10, 08:04 PM
Senior Tech
Maurice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMMD View Post
I'm looking to buy a Camero

Hey, at least you didnt say Mostang !

you ARE in the right place,feel free to ask any questions you like.

Oh ya, welcome aboard !

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 10, 08:20 PM
Team Member
Jerry R.

Back to your corner Matt.

my Magnaflow X-pipe system sound clip, click the link

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 10, 09:32 AM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Welcome to Team Kamaro!

Kevin

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 10, 10:04 AM
Senior Tech

Matthew, welcome to TC! Always good to see the new generation of Camaro owners starting up, considering it seems like most guys your age seem to be into the imports.

You will need to give some hard thought to what you want to do with the car, and your budget. If you're thinking a 70s Camaro, that is what we would call a 2nd gen.

1st gen - 67-69 models, available in both coupe and convertible (vert) models.

2nd gen - 70-81 models, coupe only (t-tops in waning years, but those can be pretty leaky); 2nd gen further divided into "chrome bumper" (70-73), "big bumper" (74-77), and "soft bumper" 78-81. Excellent info, including another good, responsive forum, can be found at: http://nastyz28.com/ Not, trying to run you away from here, because this is a good group of folks and many 2nd gen owners belong here. Just making sure you get all the info you need/want.

3rd and 4th gen - 82-92 and 93-02.

It still remains that 2nd gens lag behind the 1st in popularity and pricing, which is good if that is what you like. Good, solid 2nd gens can be bought for less (sometimes half) of an "equivalent" 1st gen. 2nd gens were a huge leap ahead in handling and refinement, and can be a blast to drive.

Once you start identifying potential cars and plans, feel free to post up here and ask advice. Lots of us will look over pics and offer opinions/advice, and once you get serious about a car, you may find a member here that is local to you and can provide another set of "expert" eyes.

So, if you want, tell us which particular years of cars you are thinking of, and maybe we can find some examples to start discussing.

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode