Texas 1969 Z28 Tribute - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 77 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 10, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brad

Texas 1969 Z28 Tribute

Greetings to all. Just bought my newest toy a 1969 Z28 tribute and thought I'd say hello to everyone!

Has a very nice 327 with Edelbrock aluminum heads, intake, carb, headers...etc. Factory AC (big deal in Texas), steering and 4 wheel power drum brakes.

I'm having the stripes in the rear fixed (wrong spacing) and adding some big brakes next week.

It's had a full restoration and is incredibly straight and clean.

Built at Norwood in the 1st week of November 1969 so it's a late year 69.

Paint 59/59: Frost Green
Trim 723: Midnight Green Standard

It's a non SS X11 car.

I've never been big on green cars but this one got me... something different... I've always been a red or black car guy but I fell for it hook line and sinker. Should stand out nicely in a sea of other cars. The paint really pops in sunlight.

I'm looking at a Gear Vendors OD for the TH400 and may go to black interior at some point but it's just too clean to replace/dye right now. 3.73's in the rear.

The 327 is very nice, idles with AC nicely but has a real bark to it, very responsive.

I'm sure I'll start making it to some of the local shows and gatherings so if you are in the DFW area let me know what's going on.

Brad G
1969 Camaro - 406 - 2004R

Last edited by American; Aug 4th, 10 at 10:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 77 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 10, 11:26 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Re: Texas 1969 Z28 Tribute

Very nice score. Congrats. Enjoy the ride!

Grandma, 69.5, Z/28 Finally Done! Well almost...

My Build Thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 77 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 10, 12:20 AM
Senior Tech
Paul

Welcome to team camaro!

post #4 of 77 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 10, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brad

Thanks.

The photos don't do it justice. I was there today to go over some details, going to restripe and reclear the whole car, replace the door weather stripping...was hard and cracked, and of course the 13" brakes. Took it for a spin down the road before teardown.. man she hits hard! Really nice powerplant.

Should be ready late next week.

Brad G
post #5 of 77 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 10, 08:05 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Sonny

Garage

Welcome Brad and very nice car.

1969 Z28 (Sold)
1970 Z28 (Sold)
1970 RS Z28 Camaro (Green)

post #6 of 77 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 10, 08:14 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Welcome to Team Camaro. Nice car.

Checkout this post for DFW.

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=183495

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

post #7 of 77 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 10, 08:22 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

Don't be too quick to "fix" the stripes in the rear. The early built '69 model cars had stripes that were closer together than later. Yours may be correct for the early production cars. I do say that without seeing them myself, there may be other issues you wish to correct.

Skunk Works
302DZ, M22W Muncie, GV overdrive,12-Bolt Rear 3.73
Some photos:

Member # 159
post #8 of 77 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 10, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by X33D80 View Post
Don't be too quick to "fix" the stripes in the rear. The early built '69 model cars had stripes that were closer together than later. Yours may be correct for the early production cars. I do say that without seeing them myself, there may be other issues you wish to correct.
As I stated above, it's a November 69 car but more than that the stripes are all wrong. The spacing and width up front is wrong but better than the back. Notice that the stripes don't extend to the back window (I know, they terminate just below it)? The outer edges of the stripes should also be roughly (forget the exact measurements) even with the outside edge of the back glass AND the stripes should not extend below the spoiler on to the edge of the decklid... just all wrong:

One other thing. I bought this from Atlas Muscle Cars ( http://www.atlasmusclecars.com ), north of McKinney in Blue Ridge. Matt and Harvey are good guys and not only do they keep some really great cars but they do all of their own work...very nice work at that.

=== YOU WILL HAVE TO COPY AND PASTE THE LINK SINCE THIS SITE'S URL REDIRECT SYSTEM IS MESSED UP===

Brad G

Last edited by American; Aug 6th, 10 at 01:59 PM.
post #9 of 77 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 10, 06:49 PM
Senior Tech
Ryan

Welcome from Houston...nice car!

1969 X66
1964 Corvette 327/300
1998 SS Vert
1987 Regal

post #10 of 77 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 10, 07:09 PM
Senior Tech
Brian

I wouldn't be in too much of a rush to change the Green interior. I was at the Camaro Nationals here in Canada in June and cars with colors you don't see much were a bug hit.
One thing I think really should be on a Z Tribute is the rear bumper guards. I like that color combo and the brakes will be a great addition.

I have owned 3 69 Z/28s: Garnet Red 30,000 mi unrestored.
Glacier Blue, documented Canadian Z
Rallye Green purchased new in 1969
1968 Camaro Coupe L30 275 horse. ]
post #11 of 77 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 10, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brad

I'm liking the green more and more. I love the frost green paint I've just always had and liked black interiors but I will give it time as it is too nice to mess with now.

As far as the bumper gaurds I have never really paid much attention. Not sure I like the Z gaurds.

I appreciate everyone's kind words and advice. This is my first 1st Gen so I am learning.

Brad G
post #12 of 77 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 10, 03:57 AM
Senior Tech
Elias

Welcome! Awesome looking car you have there! I really like your rims/tire combo! What are they?

But I'm probably stupid, but if it's a Z/28 tribute, shouldn't it have a DZ302 in it instead of a 327?
And I've never seen those rear stripes before, so my guess is they need to be changed

Elias

There is no replacement for displacement.
post #13 of 77 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 10, 06:40 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by American View Post
I'm liking the green more and more. I love the frost green paint I've just always had and liked black interiors but I will give it time as it is too nice to mess with now.

As far as the bumper gaurds I have never really paid much attention. Not sure I like the Z gaurds.

I appreciate everyone's kind words and advice. This is my first 1st Gen so I am learning.
Since you are going with a Z/28 Tribute theme, and you are fixing the stripes, the bumperettes would complete the exterior Z/28 look. Once someone sees the automatic shfter they will know it isn't a Z. Although I did see a local Z that was changed to a 400 for racing. It was funny with the 4 speed brake pedal. i was an actuall X33 car.
I have had the bumperettes on all of my Zs and I have them on my 68. I do like them.

I have owned 3 69 Z/28s: Garnet Red 30,000 mi unrestored.
Glacier Blue, documented Canadian Z
Rallye Green purchased new in 1969
1968 Camaro Coupe L30 275 horse. ]
post #14 of 77 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 10, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brad

I guess the real question here is... how serious do I want to get about this car being a Z28 clone? Something for me to think about.

Brad G
post #15 of 77 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 10, 10:07 AM
Senior Tech
Elias

True, because you could keep the 327 and just delete the Z/28 badges or you can change it to a 302 or just get you an aftermarket one.

But I find an automatic quite a giveaway that you're not rolling in a Z...

Elias

There is no replacement for displacement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode