Inherited a 69 - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 10, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
billy

Inherited a 69

Hello to all. I just registered here and wanted to see if folks here could lend some advise........
Ive inherited a 69 Camaro. Dont know much about it other than its pretty much stock. I was told that its a Z28 rally sport?
It has the hideaway headlights and black racing stripes on it. Its pretty dusty since it has been in storage for about 30years or so. It was in one of those industrial storage units which was really hard to get the car out of. Tires still had air in it and overall it looks pretty clean other than all the dust on it.
It has a 4 speed manual in it too. Not sure about the engine other than it has some aluminum valve covers on it and a chrome air cleaner. lol
the car came with another engine too that looks pretty stock. It kinda looks like the stock engine was pulled and then a more racier engine put in???
I don't know, just guessing on that.
Anyways, I ran across this site and I was wondering what I should do with this car? I was thinking along the lines of getting it running(which it looks like it will run other than a battery and some gas of course). Or sell it.
Im not up on what is what as far as Camaros go so I thought to chime in here to see if maybe I can get some help as to what exactly I am looking at. Right now I got it parked out on the street(my garage is filled with kid stuff). Thanks for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 10, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: Inherited a 69

Welcome, Bill. Briefly, should have Z/28 emblems, tire pressure sticker on glovebox door will show E70-15 tires, and engine code on pass side under alternator should have DZ stamped.

Pictures would be nice. You'll need alittle more than new gasoline, might need a complete flush of the fuel system to remove the varnish.

Congrats on the new ownership.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 10, 11:45 AM
dennis

hallo jou have picture

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 10, 11:56 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Vince

Garage

Wow... looks like you just got one of the most coveted camaros produced. If you take a few photos of the engine stamp pad located at the front of the motor on the pass. side just in front of the head there will be some stampings. With these you can confirm if you have the original motor. The cowl tag is on the firewall on the driver side. Take a photo of all of these and members of the site will help you out. Also check out www.camaros.org and you can run the numbers yourself. Congrats!

Vince
69 Base Coupe "The Wrecker" Project -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 rs/SS L48 4spd Convertible -
- SOLD
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 10, 12:19 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

...IF that car is a real '69 Z, ...do your homework, ...it may be worth more than you think.

This site and the 'CRG' site (www.camaros.org) are two great sites for Camaro related info...

post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 10, 12:22 PM
Kevin

First, welcome to TC!

If you have the car parked on the street, I would not be surprised if suddenly was no longer there. 69 Zs have a strange habit of not remaining on the street unattended for long. You would be better leaving your kids stuff in the back yard, then a potentially 30-40K car on the street.

4 speed and other things you mentioned are a good start, take some pics and protect the car better!

Kevin

post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 10, 12:26 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Welcome. Sounds like you may have something special. Post pictures, numbers, codes for sure and you'll know what you go in no time.

Matt

post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 10, 01:05 PM
Senior Tech
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerof69 View Post
Hello to all. I just registered here and wanted to see if folks here could lend some advise........
Ive inherited a 69 Camaro. Dont know much about it other than its pretty much stock. I was told that its a Z28 rally sport?
It has the hideaway headlights and black racing stripes on it. Its pretty dusty since it has been in storage for about 30years or so. It was in one of those industrial storage units which was really hard to get the car out of. Tires still had air in it and overall it looks pretty clean other than all the dust on it.
It has a 4 speed manual in it too. Not sure about the engine other than it has some aluminum valve covers on it and a chrome air cleaner. lol
the car came with another engine too that looks pretty stock. It kinda looks like the stock engine was pulled and then a more racier engine put in???
I don't know, just guessing on that.
Anyways, I ran across this site and I was wondering what I should do with this car? I was thinking along the lines of getting it running(which it looks like it will run other than a battery and some gas of course). Or sell it.
Im not up on what is what as far as Camaros go so I thought to chime in here to see if maybe I can get some help as to what exactly I am looking at. Right now I got it parked out on the street(my garage is filled with kid stuff). Thanks for the help
That's an amazing story.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 10, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
billy

On my lunchbreak here.
Yeah its got 15" wheels on it. and it does have the z28 emblem too. I dont know any numbers. I got a little info on the engine deal. I talked to a relative that knows a little about the car and he said that he remembers that the original engine was taken out when the car was bought and another engine was installed. A more racier one. He said that he thought the original one was a 302, and that the other one has a bunch of internal stuff done to it. He said something about solid lifters and something else. Anyways im not how reliable he is cause I thought 302s were a Ford.
The only other thing I know right now is that it has vinyl interior with bucket seats and some ugly woodgrain in it.
Yeah I didnt think parking on the street was safest place for it. especially watching the all the kids playing out there. It does get some lookers though as Ive seen where someone has wiped some dust off the window.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 10, 01:25 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

302's were the motors that came in z28's... Get that thing of the street for sure!

Matt

post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 10, 01:25 PM
Senior Tech
Chris

302's are actually the standard motor in the Z/28. Chevrolet was competing in Trans Am racing heavily in the 1960's and the Z/28 was their car of choice for racing in this series. The Trans Am racing series had a rule banning any engines over a certain cubic inch (305 I believe) from 1967-1969. Chevrolet had built their first and very successful 302 by taking a 283 crank and marrying it to a 327 block with a solid lifter camshaft, and high compression making it a competative engine for sure. The montra back then was race on Sunday, sell on Monday so GM began production of the Z28 in 1967 and it lasted on and off until 2002 when the Camaro nameplate was discontinued. Today Camaro is back but GM has not yet released the highly debated 5th generation Z28.

Do your homework!
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 10, 01:32 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

Let me get this straight. You inheritated a '69 Camaro Z/28 and have it parked out in the street where people are wiping the dust off the windows to peer inside. I buy a rolling body and build a car with my dollars and sweat and one just happens to fall in your lap. Something just isn't right.
If this is true, like KevenW said, get that thing off the street into secure storage before you are talking about the one that got away. Oh, and we need pictures too.
Something smells fishy.

Skunk Works
302DZ, M22W Muncie, GV overdrive,12-Bolt Rear 3.73
Some photos:

Member # 159
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 10, 01:36 PM
Senior Tech
Chris

Edited for content by me.

Do your homework!

Last edited by 78MBA; Aug 26th, 10 at 01:59 PM.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 10, 01:43 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Too cool thread to bring in politics and get it shutdown ....

Matt

post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 10, 02:57 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by X33D80 View Post
Something smells fishy.
I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking that, Andrew!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode