1967 Camaro Project Car - reality check please! - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 10, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Paul

1967 Camaro Project Car - reality check please!

Greetings all!

First time poster here - recently got the bug to rebuild/restore a 1967 or 1968 Camaro, and looking for a sanity check on a project car.

Seems like current trends can get me a rusty shell (maybe with/without engine) for $3-4K and below. On the flip side, I'm seeing cars in the $15k-$25k range that are at various levels of restoration (but I wouldn't "have" to do work right away).

Now I'm looking at a frame (relatively speaking, minimal rust - bit in floor pan, firewall on passenger side); front disc, 350 engine that's possibly-rebuild ready, 4 speed (but car was auto, so some work there) - they're asking $7k

Not that I "need" a car - lol - but I do want one - and something like $5k sounds like it would be a good deal (even if I just keep in my garage and save up over time to replace engine, tranny, etc.).

What's reasonable these days re: starting point cars? Any and all advice appreciated! Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 10, 10:30 AM
Senior Tech
Camarodude67

Re: 1967 Camaro Project Car - reality check please!

Yes, the project cars range from 3K to 7K from your description is right on. If you start adding factory options, then price goes up.

So 7K is not out of line, but if you can get it cheaper than great....

Jeff G.
69 Verts
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 10, 10:51 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

...what CamaroDude said...

and I'll add that one can not overstate the value in a project being "rust free". I think most of us pretty much know that, ...but it's worth repeating.
For example, ...if considering a car that is completely together but rusty, ...one might be better off finding somethint rustFREE even if in pieces.

...visualize a prospective project with all the parts absent that you would have to replace, ...you'd be surprised what little remains.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 10, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Paul

Thanks guys! I'm considering making an offer for $5k (worst he can say is no), and then at least this one can be off the plate. Gut feel is that last rust comment - overall body is really solid - few spots to deal with that aren't unusual (for example, doors good, couple spots in floor pans) - so while I can run up a tab pretty quick on the macro bits - I'd be starting with a solid framework to build up from.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 10, 05:54 PM

Welcome and good luck to you buddy - 5k sounds reasonable enough Keep us in the loop
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 10, 03:27 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Max Stewart

Send a message via Yahoo to bigbuckcity

What I have looked at here in the Las Vegas, NV area with the 1st Generation Camaro's, I have seen 3 different one's advertised on Craigs List Las Vegas Nv. Went and checked out all three of them, all priced $3-4,000, And you talk about Project Car's, No Front Clips, No Motor, No Transmission, floor boards COMPLETELY Rusted out, one besides all this did not have any guages, wiring, glass and no doors. If you are not a Journey Man Body Man, or have a Friend who is one, stop and think before you even consider buying one. Every body wants to build a 1st Generation Camaro, but don't have the expertise, money or have any idea what the Restoration Part's Companies, Ricks/Ecklers/Classic Industried/Year One what each individual part will cost them, plus shipping charges thru UPS/Fedex, etc is very expensive on top of the part. And if you will check it out, alot or most of the reproduction parts are made in China, Taiwan or some foreign country where I would guess they have never even seen a 1st Generation Camaro. If you are going to purchase reproduction parts try to buy the one's made in the U.S.A., they may cost a little more, but nearly every thing I have purchased made in the USA fit's like it is suppose to, and you don't have to rework the parts to make them fit, or try to send them back to the Company you bought them from for a refund, and guarantee you they will make the comment that they have sold alot of this particular part, and have had no complaints other than the one I have made, Also normally if you return a part, YOU will pay the return postage, the Companies do not normally pay the return shipping!!!!!!!!!
Why pay the $5 to 7,000 dollars for a project that needs every thing rebuilt. If you can afford it, why not find one in the $15,000 to $25.000 price range, and have to do very little if any thing, other than getting in it turning the key, putting it in gear, drive it and enjoy it. Let some one else do all the work and them putting the money into it. And in most cases, people who do this, seldom get the money back that they invested. Think about it, And what ever you do make sure the Car has a Good, Clean, No Problem Car that you won't have any problem registering it when you go to DMV.
I bougt a 79 Corvette one time in Denver, CO, registered it, and a year and a half later, Colorado Highway Patrol, called me, and asked if I owned a 79 Corvette Coupe, and I said Yes, they asked me to bring it to their location for them to check it, possible Stolen Vehicle out of DesMoines, Iowa, they checked it, and YES it was indeed stolen, had a tough time keeping it, because of the Insurance Company who payed off the claim to the guy who owned it. It was bought at Denver Auto Auction, and they would not do any thing for me, learned my lesson real quick. I had to repurchise it from the Insurance Company..Restoring a Vehicle is a whole lot of work, although if you enjoy doing it, then go for it, Body Shop's will eat you up, I guarantee you.....Just ask a Body Shop what they charge to paint a 1st Generation Camaro, you may be shocked..............................
Not trying to be mean, cruel or nasty in my remarks, but I have been thru all this, and you better have deep pockets................................
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 10, 08:40 PM
Senior Tech
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuckcity View Post
What I have looked at here in the Las Vegas, NV area with the 1st Generation Camaro's, I have seen 3 different one's advertised on Craigs List Las Vegas Nv. Went and checked out all three of them, all priced $3-4,000, And you talk about Project Car's, No Front Clips, No Motor, No Transmission, floor boards COMPLETELY Rusted out, one besides all this did not have any guages, wiring, glass and no doors. If you are not a Journey Man Body Man, or have a Friend who is one, stop and think before you even consider buying one. Every body wants to build a 1st Generation Camaro, but don't have the expertise, money or have any idea what the Restoration Part's Companies, Ricks/Ecklers/Classic Industried/Year One what each individual part will cost them, plus shipping charges thru UPS/Fedex, etc is very expensive on top of the part. And if you will check it out, alot or most of the reproduction parts are made in China, Taiwan or some foreign country where I would guess they have never even seen a 1st Generation Camaro. If you are going to purchase reproduction parts try to buy the one's made in the U.S.A., they may cost a little more, but nearly every thing I have purchased made in the USA fit's like it is suppose to, and you don't have to rework the parts to make them fit, or try to send them back to the Company you bought them from for a refund, and guarantee you they will make the comment that they have sold alot of this particular part, and have had no complaints other than the one I have made, Also normally if you return a part, YOU will pay the return postage, the Companies do not normally pay the return shipping!!!!!!!!!
Why pay the $5 to 7,000 dollars for a project that needs every thing rebuilt. If you can afford it, why not find one in the $15,000 to $25.000 price range, and have to do very little if any thing, other than getting in it turning the key, putting it in gear, drive it and enjoy it. Let some one else do all the work and them putting the money into it. And in most cases, people who do this, seldom get the money back that they invested. Think about it, And what ever you do make sure the Car has a Good, Clean, No Problem Car that you won't have any problem registering it when you go to DMV.
I bougt a 79 Corvette one time in Denver, CO, registered it, and a year and a half later, Colorado Highway Patrol, called me, and asked if I owned a 79 Corvette Coupe, and I said Yes, they asked me to bring it to their location for them to check it, possible Stolen Vehicle out of DesMoines, Iowa, they checked it, and YES it was indeed stolen, had a tough time keeping it, because of the Insurance Company who payed off the claim to the guy who owned it. It was bought at Denver Auto Auction, and they would not do any thing for me, learned my lesson real quick. I had to repurchise it from the Insurance Company..Restoring a Vehicle is a whole lot of work, although if you enjoy doing it, then go for it, Body Shop's will eat you up, I guarantee you.....Just ask a Body Shop what they charge to paint a 1st Generation Camaro, you may be shocked..............................
Not trying to be mean, cruel or nasty in my remarks, but I have been thru all this, and you better have deep pockets................................
Very well said. Takes lots of $$ this day and time to restore a car. Way more than most people imagine.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 10, 02:51 PM
Senior Tech
Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969 RS/SS DROPTOP View Post
Very well said. Takes lots of $$ this day and time to restore a car. Way more than most people imagine.
+1. I'm learning the hard way too. I bought my 67 for $5000 and it needed everything. Its currently getting all new sheetmetal. I should have just saved up and bought a turn key. BUT, now I can build the car I want taylored for me.

1967 Camaro Yenko Pro Touring Tribute (being built)

Follow my build
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
1967, camaro, rebuild, restoration

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode