I finally got a 1969 Camaro w/383 and four speed-..NOW WITH PICS - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 10, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Sean

I finally got a 1969 Camaro w/383 and four speed-..NOW WITH PICS

Hey I have been on here for a lil bit and have posted a few times but havent introduced myself....Im a camaro lover and had a 69 for a few years when I was 19....sad story...had to get rid of it...

twelve years later I bought another one...searched for months and found one local that needed a lil love and was in my budget....

Only thing is the motor that came in it...383...I have no info on that engine at all...and the kid didnt know much either....it runs good and sounds great...he said originally it came with a 396..it had a/c in it power brakes and steering...did the 396 come in the standard model?...or ss?...any way to tell if it really came with that motor?...

For some reason before they dropped the motor the firewall was painted and they painted over the trim tag...can I find out if the car was ss or z28 from the vin?....or just on the trim tag?..

anyways...I love workin on cars and I love this site...it has helped me a ton in the work I have done over the last month on my new Camaro...So thanks guys!!....more questions to follow...lol

Last edited by irish420; Sep 24th, 10 at 08:48 PM. Reason: pics added
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 10, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Sean

Re: I bought a 1969 Camaro w/383 and four speed

oh...and I would like to rebuild the motor and maybe get some more horsepower at some point....would a 383 be a good reliable motor at 500+ horsepower? or would BBC be better?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 10, 07:50 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Just take a wire brush and take the paint off the trim tag to start. My guess is most guys are going to recomend big block power, but if you already have the 383 I say just check it over and if it is all good, I would run it and save the cost of the big block conversion. If you go big block you will need a new exhaust, headers, heater core and set up. Most likely a new diff, rad, suspension, just to start. Not sure if you have disc brakes but you will need them if you go big block or over 500 HP to be safe. 396 was not the standard model and was an option coming in the SS model. Some will chime in and give you all of the tell tale was to confirm what you have. If it was me because I don't have a big budget I would kep it simple. Since these cars cost so much to restore it is always better to confirm if you have a special car to start with. If it is a plain Jane don't go too crazy. If it has sentimental value that is a different story.

Grandma, 69.5, Z/28 Finally Done! Well almost...

My Build Thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 10, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Sean

heres some pics....prob. gonna go with black paint...and I def gotta put a new suspension, and drop the front...it just sits too high.... like there is no engine in it or somthin...

Last edited by irish420; Oct 21st, 10 at 09:10 PM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 10, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Sean

I cant seem to upload any more pics..so here is the link that originally got sent to me...since I bought the car I have put new seats, door panels, dash instrument carrier, dash pad, fixed some electrical problems with the rear harness, replaced the pitman arm and steering gear box...the job never seems like its gonna be done, which is actually the funnest part for me...lol..
anyways heres the links...gimme all ya'lls thoughts and opinions please...yall think its ready for paint....or should I do more body work?.....but theres no rust whatsoever...its a los angeles born car a still in Ca....
.it was def. in a wreck or two at some point in its life and I had origianlly planned on replacing much of the metal on the car..but have run outta funds for now ....

http://www.nikonipcss.com/P2PwebCmdC...4FFF01E464065E

http://www.nikonipcss.com/P2PwebCmdC...D95D068EE17B50
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 10, 10:29 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Re: I finally got a 1969 Camaro w/383 and four speed-..NOW WITH PICS

Definitly a few different things going on here. Hood had hood pins at some point with an SS hood. Hard to tell from the picture but the heater box on the firewall does not appear to be there and it looks like the hoses are in the big block positon. A lot of those parts look really different to me so I would say this car has been through a lot in its years. Wiper motor? master cylinder, brake booster?

What are your plans for the car? I would confirm what you have first then build from there. You never know what you have. If it is a big block car or Z28 you have your answer. If it is a six or base car with, judging by the looks of things alll of the drive train long gone, you can build whatever you want. Check the trim tag and vin first and post the number here for the experts to decode.

Have fun and good luck. You have come to right place to discus 1st gen Camaros!

Grandma, 69.5, Z/28 Finally Done! Well almost...

My Build Thread

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 10, 10:40 PM
Senior Tech
Jeff

Welcome aboard and congrats on your purchase!

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 10, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Sean

the hood pins are here...just not installed yet....the wipers work and I guess the kid and his dad did the brakes...power brakes, however the booster looks HUGE...gotta upgrade em....If its a true SS or Z then I might go back to the stock look and all...otherwise I want to build a badass handling/performing 69 Camaro....the engine thats in it now, aint half bad...I havent really taken the rpm's up too high yet, because I want to fix the valve stem seals first...but then its on to a suspension upgrade....every time I make a decent turn, I get this crazy noise from the rear suspension/body???...possible bad/wrotten bushings in the back
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 10, 07:46 AM
Senior Tech

don't use a wire brush on trim tag.i did on my 67 & distorted numbers.best way is to tape around tag & get some paint remover & a piece of steel wool & go that route.don't put stripper on tag instead put it on steel wool & scrub tag till its clean.just thought i would let you know.tag will come out pretty & shiney this way
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 10, 08:30 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Sonny

Garage

Sean welcome and nice project car

1969 Z28 (Sold)
1970 Z28 (Sold)
1970 RS Z28 Camaro (Green)

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 10, 10:07 AM
Senior Tech
Timothy

A 383 is a stroked 350. Not a bad engine to start with. Im sure a lot of guys dream of getting a 383. You can probably get it to where you want it or close. Or if you have the funds go big block.

My 69 RS/SS 396 Project -

"I may be dumb but I aint stupid"
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 10, 10:10 AM
Senior Tech
May

Congratulations to a job well done and to all who have helped you in your project. Take good care of your Camaro.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 10, 07:15 PM
Senior Tech
Paul

Thumbs up Re: I finally got a 1969 Camaro w/383 and four speed-..NOW WITH PICS

Welcome to team camaro!!
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 10, 04:47 AM
Senior Tech
Ryan

Welcome to team camaro....for what it is worth 500hp is well attainable on a small block these days. I have a big block Camaro, and after driving a small block SS I think the small block car handles much better....but parked at the car shows I definitely prefer my big block.

1969 X66
1964 Corvette 327/300
1998 SS Vert
1987 Regal

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode