Hi I'm Jesse and I'm a Camaroholic - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 10, 04:51 AM Thread Starter
Jesse

Send a message via Yahoo to Jesse James
Hi I'm Jesse and I'm a Camaroholic

68 SS350 5-speed for me under construction.
http://www.myspace.com/jessejames68/...roject/2106572

Last edited by Jesse James; Oct 7th, 10 at 05:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 10, 05:07 AM
Senior Tech
John

Re: My Horror story of my 68 SSCamaro

1. Welcome to TC.
2. This is the longest intro ever.
3. Is your Wife Sandra Bullock?
4. Your myspace account is private.
5. I wasted 5 minutes of my life reading your intro.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 10, 05:49 AM
Senior Tech

Re: Hi I'm Jesse and I'm a Camaroholic

Welcome aboard the SS TC. I see where you have the mid kid. Good luck on your build.

capt

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 10, 06:05 AM
Senior Tech
Chris

Man I am so sorry to hear about your Camaro nightmare you have my sympathies. Making a marriage work is never an easy thing and it sounds like yours was over long before you called it quits. So many people try to make it work despite the huge signs that it is over and cannot be mended. I wish I could say that yours was a new story but the guy that takes out a home equity line only to rush and get taken by the body shop is a story that is as old as time. Truth be told anytime you rush into something like this you will always get burned. It sounds like you were patient for 19 years only to get frustrated, rush the last 12 months and got taken for your 19 years of hard work. Paint and body on a slightly rusty car with a good body man should cost anywhere between $10 & $20K unless your body is really eaten up. For the money that you sepnt you should have been able to get the entire car pretty well done. The body shop totally took advantage of you in this situation. Anytime someone goves you a quote on auto work, household repairs, whatever you always get a contract in writing before you hand over any money. Reputable businesses do not ask for cash up front and then more cash to finish the job. If they were reputable I can see asking for a percentage of cash upfront and the balance upon completion of the car. Unfortunetley you really don't have much recourse in the situation. You can consult a lwayer which will cost more money and since you had no written agreement or contract on the job you probably don't have a case. You can report the business to the bestter bussiness bureau but that won't do you much good either as I am sure the body shop is not a member and doesn't care much about their reputation. The only thing left to do is to reach out to the car community and meet some guys that may be able to help; whether by reccomending a good body shop or by meeting a good body guy that may take some pitty on you and finish the car for a decent cost. The only other thing you can do is to lean how to do it yourself and start tackling the project with the help of the guys here on the forums. Whatever you do in the future take your time, talk to people, and do your research on this stuff. I know how you feel though I lost $6K on a 66 GTO last year and it put a horrible taste in my mouth for the hobby, can't imagine loosing over $20K!

Do your homework!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 10, 07:51 AM
Senior Tech
Vic

Re: My Horror story of my 68 SSCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkbrau View Post
1. Welcome to TC.
loll

Vic
1969 Camaro SS
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 10, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Jesse

Ya I hear that thanks. I decided to take my sob storry off cause it didn't seem appropriate. To make a long story short I am trying to get a guy to paint it in a couple weeks but it will take most of what I have saved up to do. I am paying on huge loans for the car on my own too so I was considering selling it but I don't have the heart, it's all I have left to show for my life since I pretty much lost everything else in my life. The house, wife, family and security of having my own life. Now I have to live with my sister and her family trying to recover from the whole divorce and body guy raping me all at the same time. Tried the lottery but it has not worked thus far. I want to get it painted but after the furtune I put into the body I don't want a cheap paint job and the guy that wants to paint it says he can do it for less than $2,000 that includes the paint too. Ya I use that website all the time. I did plenty of research and planning making all the choices along the way to buy all the stuff I needed.

Last edited by Jesse James; Oct 7th, 10 at 01:55 PM.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 10, 11:52 AM
Senior Tech
John

At least you have a good attitude. If you need any help....click into one the of the forums and ask for help. Sounds like you need it.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 10, 12:23 PM
f68
Tech Team
Alan Mays

If the "Other website" was pro-touring dot com, seems i started a thread about that VERY subject--Guys dumping 10's of thousands in and a wife at the moment that doesn't understand them--and ends up loosing it all-----

and I was banned for being an interloper.

I would stay away from ANY website which only reason to exist is to steer guys to detroit speed, art morrison ,ring bros,etc,etc,etc,etc,etc,etc.etc.etc.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 10, 12:42 PM
Senior Tech
Paul

Thumbs up Re: Hi I'm Jesse and I'm a Camaroholic

Welcome to team camaro!!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 10, 01:57 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Wink Re: Hi I'm Jesse and I'm a Camaroholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkbrau View Post
1. Welcome to TC.
That should be 'was' your wife ...

Glad I missed the intro ... was 'edited' by the time I got here

And as far as;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse James View Post
... I don't want a cheap paint job and the guy that wants to paint it says he can do it for less than $2,000 that includes the paint ...
Uhmmm - I spend $2k on JUST the paint for most decent jobs - so he can't be talking anything BUT a 'cheap' paint job

I would be inclinded at this point to consider putting it in a really good coat of Epoxy Primer - like PPG DPLF (#90 'black') or Southern Poly matte black epoxy primer and wait until you get the money to finish it off right.
The epoxy will be fine for a couple of years if you have a garage to store the car. And, you can still drive it locally and impress folks with your modern matte black look ...
I shot a pick-up for a family friends son a few years back (3~4 now ) as he had 'run-out-of-money' and it still looks good. He hasn't had the money or even decided if/when he's going to get it painted finally, just enjoys it during the warmer/summer months and puts it away in the winter. He's is a young kid with a new family - toys take a back-seat through much of our lives, as he has learned.
You're in the 'sunny' northwest where things rust while you sleep, so you shouldn't count on a car in primer as a daily-driver. But it would help you get through this period and not throw good money after bad until you can get it done right.

Once you get back on your feet and can find a good shop (or friend) to shoot the final color you can get it done right - and not a 'cheap' job ...

Divorce isn't the end-of-the-world - it just seems like it for awhile
Take care of your kids and let them know nothing in the world is more important to you than them and things will all work out! - been-there, done-that ...

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 10, 03:06 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

welcome to team camaro from billy the kid!!

BILL D.
JOHN 3:16
SEMPER FI
if you have a bbc in your 1st gen 67-69 camaro click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post yours up!!

if you have an all original 1st gen camaro 67-69 click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post your up!!

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 10, 10:15 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

X2

Grandma, 69.5, Z/28 Finally Done! Well almost...

My Build Thread

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 10, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Jesse

This is my real name Billy the kid.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 10, 01:41 PM
Senior Tech
topher

Welcome Jesse, I also missed your intro. I would have actually liked to read your story. My story sounds almost identical. Long story short, I too am a Camaroholic, so when the home equity boom hit, I pulled the trigger(no pun intended) and decided to buy my first Camaro. The problem was that the classic car market was booming as well which made it a problem to find a good 69 at a sane price. So I was getting fed up with finding nothing but crap for 20k, I decided to have a local speed shop build me one from a 69 they had in thier shop. I was blinded by my passion for these cars and a little naive to think that these days people will honor a handshake contract. It almost came to a fistfight when I got the car back from him. We all make mistakes in life and this was a big one for me, but I learned an important lesson and I will never get taken like that again. Its been two years since I got the car home in my garage and I have made lots of progress. I see your in southern Oregon so I wanted to tell you if your looking for a good body guy, I can recommend the guy that did mine. He used to work for Bill Hall in Boring Or. who did all the cars that came from the Chevy Store in Portland. He is working in his own shop now Wild Hare Customs check him out if you want. Sorry, I guess it was kinda long. Good luck.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old May 11th, 11, 01:29 PM
f68
Tech Team
Alan Mays

I used to be a camarohaulic --haveing to repetedly change out CHEAP CHINESE JUNK LIFTERS cured me of that, but the two early cmaros are still around. I mainly am a late 30's GM pickup ahaulic nowdays.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode