1968 rs vs. z28 - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 10, 07:46 AM Thread Starter
Paul

1968 rs vs. z28

Hey guys I'm new here. Been looking again for a Camaro have found a couple that seem to be what I'm looking for, but here is the question.
Since the 68 is the toughest to tell what it truly is and most dont seem to have the original drivetrain in them are there any other ways to tell ?

Thanks guys any help would be very much appreciated

And I do have the Jerry MacNeish books
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 10, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: 1968 rs vs. z28

Welcome, Paul. You have the Master's book, I can't think of anything more to suggest.
Tire pressure sticker on the glovebox door, only Z/28's came with 15 inch wheels.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 10, 10:17 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bryon

You would have to ask more specific questions about each car.

If the engine is gone, very tough to tell in 68 for a Z28. But there are clues.

68 Camaro SS 396 - 468 BBC now, M21, 12 bolt 3.73 coded housing but w/ 3.31 gears.
Looking for 68 Camaro with body number NOR 181016
CRG -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 10, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Paul

sorry guys about not being specific?. Well the car I'm looking at owner isn't sure which it is. He bought it 15 years ago and it is still the way he bought it. looks like all original body panels, interior, but like i said drive train isnt and he doesnt claim it to be either. Thia car shows well very clean in and out and under. Glove box sticker says 14" tires which I told him couldnt be a Z28 as they had 15" tires. I guess what I'm asking is, even if its a RS car thats ok with me, but then the price would then kinda need adjusting. He wants to still believe its a RS Z28 car, but if I knew what other indications would show its really an RS car then I can tell him this and I guess we could then negotiate a price or he may just keep it. Just dont want to over pay for a car thats not what it might be rather pay for something that really is what it is.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 10, 11:54 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

welcome to team camaro!!
thats why i pick the 69 camaro!!

BILL D.
JOHN 3:16
SEMPER FI
if you have a bbc in your 1st gen 67-69 camaro click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post yours up!!

if you have an all original 1st gen camaro 67-69 click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post your up!!

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 10, 12:06 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Without DOC's (which can be forged also) I would just call it a "plane Jane" and not get hung up on what it "could be". IMO

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 10, 12:53 PM
Senior Tech
Chick

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUG G View Post
Without DOC's (which can be forged also) I would just call it a "plane Jane" and not get hung up on what it "could be". IMO
Yea Doug In a court of law people are innocent until proven guilty. With cars like this they are just another Camaro until proven otherwise. Some other things that could be looked at include the leaf springs being 4 ply, the rear would be at least a 3.73 or higher numerically, three core radiator, signs of any of the Z/28 parts remaining on the car like alternator, distributor, water pump, etc.. Just review Jerry's book and there are a lot of specific parts used on Z/28's. The seller as many may want to believe what they want to believe and sometimes you just have to move on. Good luck with obtaining one and welcome

Chick
68, 69, & 2015 Z/28's
69 Nova's L34 Father/Son & L78 Surv purch-new
67, 68, & 2015 Z06 Corvettes
Our 68Z Restoration
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 10, 03:05 PM
Senior Tech
K.P. Walsh

if you want a Z/28 I'd pass on this one if he "wants Z/28" money. Are you looking for a nice car and not so interested on a specific model or option? I'm sure you could find an actual verifiable Z/28 easy enough. you may point out even if its a Z/28, without the original engine the monetary value drops. not to say you could'nt locate the exact type engine and install. I would research and go from there.

kevin p...................
1972.5 Camaro!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 10, 07:00 AM
Senior Tech
Paul

Talking Re: 1968 rs vs. z28

Welcome to team camaro!! Buy a 69!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode