68 Camaro restore After 20yrs of sitting - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 11, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ron

Talking 68 Camaro restore After 20yrs of sitting

Hello all
After my camaro has been sitting dorment for 20yrs I'm finally getting to start my restore Its a 68 with Factory PW,PS,PB and AC with 2 speed on the column. It needs a trunk pan floor pans and quarters. After removing the front end. I found out the right side cowl tulip (I believe thats what its called) was apparently damaged in an accident before I got it.
After searching this site and following some of the builds on here from you guys. I have decided to replace most of the sheet metal my self.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	19794

68 PW,PS,PB,AC,v8,2speed on column,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by wolfe; Jan 5th, 11 at 06:13 PM. Reason: To fix the attachment
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 11, 04:57 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Sonny

Garage
Re: 68 Camaro restore After 20yrs of sitting

Ron welcome to the site. Way to go with not only getting this car started after 20 years but tackling the metal repair yourself.

1969 Z28 (Sold)
1970 Z28 (Sold)
1970 RS Z28 Camaro (Green)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 11, 04:58 PM
Senior Tech
jim

welcome to TC good luck with your build also have 68 if u need any parts give me a shout may have

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 11, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Welcome, Ron. Enjoy the club, the journey, and take plenty of pictures with measurements for future reference.
You have the correct year.

Imagine, three of us reply within three minutes. Too bad we didn't chose the correct Mega Millions numbers.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 11, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ron

Thanks All

I have the front metal off and the drive train and interior out and already have over 600 pics.

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 11, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by cars68 View Post
welcome to TC good luck with your build also have 68 if u need any parts give me a shout may have

Thanks for the welcome. As for parts the main things I know I need in the right front inner fender and front header panel. I have a right side RS fender so i'm thinking of getting a left side RS fender and add the hide away head light if possible.

I'm sure I will need a lot of other parts.

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 11, 05:44 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bryon

Welcome Ron. I don't have any of the parts you need right now, but I will keep my eye out.

68 Camaro SS 396 - 468 BBC now, M21, 12 bolt 3.73 coded housing but w/ 3.31 gears.
Looking for 68 Camaro with body number NOR 181016
CRG -
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 11, 06:09 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tory

Hi Ron,
Welcome to Team Camaro. Good Luck with your 68 Camaro restoration. That is my favorite year.

Tory
1968 Camaro Coupe
1964 Malibu SS Unrestored 36,000 Mile Survivor
1964 Malibu SS Hardtop
1966 Chevelle SS 396
1968 Malibu L-79, 1 of 4082 ~ SOLD
1955 Chevrolet Bel Air Unrestored 15,000 Mile Survivor
1955 Chevrolet Nomad
1984 Hurst Olds with Factory Sunroof, 1 of 99 ~ SOLD
1992 Camaro 396 LS, 4L60, 9" Posi w /3.50:1 Gear Set
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 11, 09:37 PM
Senior Tech
alex

Welcome Ron .Your on the boat enjoy the cruise,we,re all here to help.I admire you for taking on the sheet metal thats a monumental effort.Make shure the first thing you do after the body get rid of those awfull 9 1/2 front brakes. In my youth i bought a 67s/s no motor or tranny for 400 bucks and then a 69 Boston Police cruiser at the B/P Auction for the 427 rebuildable core .After i finished it ran like a witch with a rocket powered broomstick.I will never forget the first time i poured all the coals to it hoo aah it was a rush ,to stop it i pushed that pedal through the floor board and down shifted it was an experiance in not enough brake for the car. It was TRIPOLI TURQUOISE with A/R wheels.ALEX
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 11, 11:26 PM
Senior Tech
George

Ron,

Welcome to Team Camaro!
I scored my 68 Vert this summer, dream come true. (long story deleted)
Tearing mine down prior to blasting....drop in on my thread and some of the other 68 build threads here.
https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...t+stored+years

Tell us about what is under the hood, your plans for the restoration.
I'm better building engines than doing bodywork and metal stuff but I'm looking at doing some of the metal work myself on the vert....learned a lot watching the fellas working on my 70 Elky this Fall.

Post up more pics! Interior too!

George Kettler
US ARMY Retired
o 70 Elky SOLD 9/2016
o 68 Vette 427, 4 spd ac owner 25 years
o 68 Camaro Rallye Green Vert 327/2004R/3.73
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 11, 11:33 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Welcome to Team Camaro. Dont get discouraged. There are alot of good info on this site and good people that are willing to help.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 11, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ron

Heres a few pics of my Camaro.

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 11, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ron

Hi All
Thanks for the warm welcome. I have been reading several post on here and that what made me decide to join. I have learned a lot just poking around on here. I know I will be needing help and it looks like everyone on here is willing to give their advise and suggestions.

So my plans are to make this a daily driver (Nice dry days that is) My budget for this is very slim. so I will be not be able to replace everything on the car. I'm planning keeping the car pretty much original. I have a 327 that I was told came out of a 65 Vet but I havn't checked the numbers yet. the AC was stripped from the car. I have collected some of the parts to put it back. I'm still needing some duct work under the dash. It is a 2 speed on the column but had a 350 turbo in it. I now have a 2 speed and if I can get it built right I will use it. It originally had blue interior but I'm leaning toward chaging it to black. The power windows actually work other then rollers broke on the quarter windows. I plan on a Dark blue paint with Z stripes and also paint the dash the same color.

But all this could change as I go along. So i'm open to any suggestions.

Thanks
Ron

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 11, 09:41 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Milt

Garage

Welcome Ron and you do have the best year Camaro! Boy do I know how it feels to have to wait to start on restoring a car. It's definitely worth the wait and satisfying when things come out the way you envision it..
Good luck with your build.

Go big, or stay Home!
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 11, 09:41 PM
Senior Tech
George

I'd keep the TH350. A Glide is sooooooooooo not happening. Mine is now out and will remain in the corner of the garage.
Post up the casting and stamped numbers from the 327's pads under TAG TEAM
I'm pretty good in the engine department. Feel free to contact me

This makes the 3rd 68 I have seen with blue deluxe and column shift...
Deluxe with power windows....SWEET!
Having two two cars with black interiors already, my Camaro vert will NOT get black but WHITE. I would consider the blue if my car was other than green! Let me ponder a bit for some stuff to make your blue on blue car pop.

George Kettler
US ARMY Retired
o 70 Elky SOLD 9/2016
o 68 Vette 427, 4 spd ac owner 25 years
o 68 Camaro Rallye Green Vert 327/2004R/3.73

Last edited by kettbo; Jan 6th, 11 at 09:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode