95 Z28 Just purchased! Tulsa - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 11, 05:09 AM Thread Starter
Clark

95 Z28 Just purchased! Tulsa

Hello all. I have had several older muscle cars but this is my first "newer" Z28 I just bought it. The front main seal was leaking so they are replacing that today. So what motor do I have in mine? What are the pros and cons? upgrades?
it's an auto which was kind of disappointing but the price was right so here I am!
It wasn't as fast as I thought it would be really. I do want to research and find out the issues and problems that are most endemic to these cars! I look forward to driving it and learning all I can about it!
Clark in Tulsa

Last edited by Tulsa95Z28; Jan 7th, 11 at 05:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 11, 06:36 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Sonny

Garage
Re: 95 Z28 Just purchased! Tulsa

Welcome Clark to Team Camaro. I had a 1991 Z28 years ago I bought new, you will like the ride and handling of these cars.

1969 Z28 (Sold)
1970 Z28 (Sold)
1970 RS Z28 Camaro (Green)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 11, 06:56 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Welcome to the Club, Clark. Enjoy the ride.

One con is the igniton system, Optispark, more commonly the slang "Op-no-spark" due to the dist dying either because of failure of planet alignment or it gets wet. The vented dist from 95-97 are better than earlier non-vented years. Expensive item to replace and labor intense because coolant system has to be drained and water pump removed. Therefore, when changing dist, might as well change water pump also, you're already there.

Snowball Effect comes into play, replace hoses, coolant, clean/replace radiator, cap, spark plugs, oil, thermostat, the list goes on......belts.

A couple of things, always check to make sure when selecting A/C, both fans come on and make sure all the front body parts for air flow through the radiator.

Anyway, enjoy your new ride and membership here.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 11, 06:59 AM
Senior Tech
Jason

Hey Clark, welcome! Really the major thing to look at on the 95 LT1 350, is the block is a reverse flow cooling system and the water pumps arent the best. When they start to go out, they will leak on the Opti-Spark sensor right below it, which is the distributor in that engine. GM moved it there because you couldnt get to it in the back on that Camaro body. Anyway, it will cause the Opti-Spark to fail so your stuck replacing the water pump, and opti-spark at the same time. Summit sells a better opti-spark replacement so whenever it happens, you'll know whats up. The engine makes good power with simple bolt on's, 1.6 rocker arms, 3" exhaust, chip, pullies, cold air kit, stall converter, etc. I had a 94 6 spd and stock with a flowmaster ran some 13.70's. Give it a good overall tune up and enjoy it!

1967 Camaro Yenko Pro Touring Tribute (being built)

Follow my build
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 11, 08:30 AM
Senior Tech
Ryan

Welcome Clark....Good advice above with the Opti Spark, as well as with the bolt ons mentioned. To get to into the 13's you will probably want some sticky tires. I recently updated my 98 with some aftermarket Lower Control Arms, Torque Arm and Panhard bar. I was always skeptical of these type mods, but it made a big difference in how the car responds to hard acceleration.

Many folks make bolt on wet nitrous kits if it just still isnt enough!

1969 X66
1964 Corvette 327/300
1998 SS Vert
1987 Regal

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 11, 02:15 PM
Senior Tech
Jason

guess we posted at the same time!

1967 Camaro Yenko Pro Touring Tribute (being built)

Follow my build
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 11, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
Clark

Thanks for the warm welcome! Well they put a new main seal on and it leaked worse. I went back there. He had it on a lift and was removing the seal he had installed that morning. he said there as a sleeve that is included with a kit. He will install the sleeve and new seal Monday. Is this a common problem with these? I suppose the best thing to do would be to have the water pump replaced. is there a specific pump that is better than others?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 11, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Should of installed the sleeve to begin with. Usually, if a groove is worn in the balancer, one would not install the seal as far as originally inserted giving the new seal a new surface to seal against, if there is room.

Depth is limited by the cover depth, the seal can't be inserted further, it is against the flange at end of the hole. Depending if there is room, 1/16 inch is needed, for a new surface. Whether or not leaving the seal out 1/16 inch, is determined by how close the balancer is to the cover holding the seal.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 11, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Clark

Sounds logical! I have the same issue on the Fiat 2litre I am currently building and will be doing the same thing as it has a slight groove
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 11, 05:34 PM
Senior Tech
Paul

Thumbs up Re: 95 Z28 Just purchased! Tulsa

Welcome to team camaro!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
new user

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode