New member just saying hello! - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 11, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Dale

Unhappy New member just saying hello!

I have broused the site before and found it very informative so I decided to join and see if I can get some help sorting out an overheating problem on my son's 68 Camaro with a 468 B/B.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 11, 04:43 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: New member just saying hello!

Welcome, Dale. Correct year even.
Request more info on the Son's set-up.
Some items come to mind are retarded timing, lean fuel mixture, water pump pulley bigger than crank pulley, faulty fan clutch, maybe a faulty gauge, use a high flow thermostat, rad cap, might have to go to a higher rating to prevent boiling over at the water jackets.

Did the 468 come with the car or did the 468 begin in the car as a 454, then bored out?

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 11, 05:30 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

welcome to team camaro!

BILL D.
JOHN 3:16
SEMPER FI
if you have a bbc in your 1st gen 67-69 camaro click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post yours up!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

if you have an all original 1st gen camaro 67-69 click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post your up!!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 11, 05:48 AM
Senior Tech

Welcome aboad the TC site, Dale.

As per the overheating, there's the obvious...old hoses, or a partially plugged heat core. I'd take the rad in to check the health on it as well, eh?

capt
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 11, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
Dale

Thanks for the quick reply! Now here is the story..... I have a couple of street rods now and recently purchased a 68 Camaro B/B for my son at the Turkey Run in Daytona last November. The car was in excellent shape and had everything we were looking for including the B/B. The motor is a 84 model 454 (.060 over) to 468, has a mild comp cam, stock heads, alum. manifold with a 750 holly. The owner produced some paper work indicating that the short block ad been built about a year ago and seem to have the right stuff. We took it for a short ride and it appeared to run very good so we bought it and trailer'd it home. The 1st time out it got up to ~240 and had a boil over! We then proceeded to make our list of things we wanted to do and began ordering parts. Below is a list of things we have dove thus far:
• Pulled the alum. radiator and brought it to the radiator shop - was told rad. was new and in excellent shape so we reinstalled it
• Contacted Griffin and had them build an alum shroud with their 2 high flow fans. also purchased their wiring harness and relays since the car had A/C. Used 160 deg. temp. sensor to kick on the fans. Installed it in the manifold and relocated the mechanical temp. gauge to the passenger side head. Also installed new alum. overflow tank and radiator cap.
• Installed new 180 deg thermostat and replaced the rad. hoses - water pup appeared to be new
• Replaced ignition system with a new MSD system including distributor, coil and electronic box - set timing at 12 deg.
• Installed new Doug's full tube ceramic headers
• Installed new gas tank, s/s braided fuel line, Holly (blue pump), canister fuel filter and fuel regulator.
Besides this work we made several cosmetic changes and replaced rims/tires.

Once we installed everything and tuned the car we experienced high temperatures ~225 . I used an electronic temp gun on the heads and found it to be ~200/205. The intake manifold at the hose connection was ~ 195/200.... top of the radiator under the cap was ~185....bottom of the radiator was ~135/140 (elect fans kicked on at 160 deg). The next step we tried was the restrictor washers starting with the medium size and working up to the large one. Yesterday it ran in my shop for ~40 minutes idling and got up to ~ 205 on the temp gauge in the car... my electronic temp. gun was reading ~ 190 on the heads. I took it for a test drive and it climbed to ~210/215 on the gauge at 45 mph. after getting on the interstate it climbed to ~230 @ 70 mph. I turned around and headed home...by the time I got back to the shop it was up to 240 on the gauge. I checked it again with the temp. gun and it was reading 210/215 on the heads..... top of rad. was reading ~195 and bottom was @ 160 deg.

Currently planning to change the temp gauge in the car for more accuracy. Also have a new Wieland high flow water pump that I am thinking on changing.

Any ideas and/or help is greatly appreciated!

One of my buddies mentioned that if this doesn't work than I should consider pulling the heads and making sure that whomever built the engine used the right head gaskets (not sure about this one) Are all B/B heads interchangeable?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 11, 08:19 AM
Senior Tech
May

Welcome!!!!

LED Taillights
Digital Tail Lights For Classic Cars
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 11, 03:35 PM
Senior Tech
Paul

Thumbs up Re: New member just saying hello!

Welcome to team camaro!! Coolant or straight water?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 11, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Dale

Coolant ... 60/40 mix
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 11, 05:21 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

You might ask your question in Troubleshooting taking your info from the post as it would gain more answers, Dale. Use 40/60 coolant or less.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 11, 06:00 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Welcome to TC

Now as for the over heating.
you say it's fine at an idle,but overheats when driving ?
Could the bottom hose be collapsing ?
Good cap on the radiator (16psi?)
Maybe try to wire the fans direct (on all the time temporary) see if it changes

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 11, 07:50 AM
Senior Tech
Dan Ensign

The high flow water pump could be your problem, they are desgned to be efficient at high rpm and do not circulate efficiently while cruising at low rpm.I am using a Stewart street pump on my big block and it alwalys stays at 180.

Dan E.
69 ss396 4spd. 4.10 posi. x66 coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode