Hi there, I'm new - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 11, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Derek

Hi there, I'm new

I'm here registered up because a friend referred me here saying this is "The place" to go for old camaros

I don't own one, but my dad does.. i'm here in search of guidance for restoring it as a surprise for him.

I specifically am not knowledgeable about camaros or chevy in general. I really only know what my dad has talked about and a little here and there about his. My interest in cars is a bit different than his. But I'm here so I can research and figure out more about it so I can help him finish his baby and have it back on the road.

Last edited by Corse; Apr 28th, 11 at 12:14 AM. Reason: (typos...)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 11, 11:43 PM
Senior Tech
Jess

Re: Hi there, I'm new

Welcome! You came tot he right place. What kind of car does he have??

Jess67
67 Camaro Blue 427, 4-speed, 12 bolt
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 Camaro 350, 200-4R, PS, AC, PB, IN PARTS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 11, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Derek

He has a 69' Z-28

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 11, 12:30 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

Welcome, Derek! Plenty of help and info available here. Is it a real Z? Be warned that most of them aren't. Not a big deal if he just wants to drive it, but will help determine how much money it's worth putting into it.

Experience...... It's what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 11, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Derek

Quote:
Originally Posted by buenymayor View Post
Welcome, Derek! Plenty of help and info available here. Is it a real Z? Be warned that most of them aren't. Not a big deal if he just wants to drive it, but will help determine how much money it's worth putting into it.
I was told since I was just a little kid that it's the original engine that came with the original car. He took the 302 apart, it is in pieces, it's tired and needs a rebuild. Last time I saw the block and crank they looked great, so I'm not sure if his "it's tired" story is the case or if it's another one of his reasons for me to not spend money on his car.

I did some research and only recently found out how to check and see that they are legit, I'll be checking that the next time I go to visit. But as far as I know it's a real z-28 with the original 302. I'll find out next time I go over there since the car is in pieces it'll be easy to look at the vin and numbers. He claims he already checked years ago. I asked a few of his friends and they told me it is. But I don't plan on buying anything for the originality factor until I've matched them up with my own 2 eyes in case something /is/ different.

Either way the engine is a 302, i'm assuming since it needs a rebuild and he told me it has been bored that I'm going to need to measure the cylinder walls and dive into things to see where exactly the engine is on a rebuild and what kind of rings I'll need, etc.

I know the seats need reupholstered, and I know some of the interior parts aren't in the best of shape. The car was disassembled before I was born. The car has sat under a cover in his garage for about 26 years now. Money is the issue and he never could afford to put his baby back together.

A few years back he bought the paint he wanted, which I believe is daytona yellow and gloss black for the stripes. I know he has also bought /some/ stuff.

I don't know a lot about these cars, he's always been the Chevy guy in the family and told me he had a "special car" and couldn't let go of it since he wouldn't find another like it.

I'm wanting to buy the stuff he needs to rebuild the engine, get it back together. He always talked about getting the frame powdercoated as well, so I'd like to sneak that in too, although I don't know how I would do such a thing without him noticing so I may just pay a local shop time and materials and setup a trailer ride for his baby and surprise him for his birthday.

I'm basically looking for original parts and to get it back to original condition. Thus far he has complained about money to rebuild the engine and reupholster the seats. He has stored most of the parts like the hood and interior pieces in his garage or in the barn in plastic bags to keep them safe. I recently started bugging him about it, but money is an issue for him and I'd like to give back to my dad and do something special for him. He got me into cars, it's only fair that I give back after all he has done for me and my sister.

I'd like to get a list going of things to replace on the car, hoping to seek out the help of some members who know about these cars since I know nothing about Chevy cars. I'd basically like to surprise the hell out of him and give him no excuses not to get it done so he can have his baby on the road and enjoy it again

Is there anyone in chat this time of night? i definitely have lots of questions lol.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 11, 03:01 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

If the engine is dis-assembled, it shouldn't be too hard to verify if it's numbers matching or not. Here's a link to help you out: http://www.camaros.org/drivetrain.shtml We love pictures, so don't forget your camera!

Experience...... It's what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 11, 03:04 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Derek

Buenymayor, VERY good info right there. I'm a very visual person so that'll be perfect.

Either way if it ends up being that it isn't what he said it is, I at least want to find out what it is so I can help him get it where he wants. It would be really cool if it is what he says, either way, despite the value of what it ends up being (good or bad) the car is priceless to him. I just want to get it where it needs to make him happy with it.

Hopefully this weekend I can go over there. I'll bring a camera with me and will be sure to take pics.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 11, 03:56 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

Welcome to team camaro!

BILL D.
JOHN 3:16
SEMPER FI
if you have a bbc in your 1st gen 67-69 camaro click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post yours up!!

if you have an all original 1st gen camaro 67-69 click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post your up!!

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 11, 03:59 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Derek

Thanks! Wow everyone here is real super friendly, I like this place already!
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 11, 05:11 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rocky

Welcome to T.C from down under!
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 11, 09:45 AM
Senior Tech
George

I'm sure I speak for many, that only wish they had family members that wanted to "give back". Hope all goes well for you and your Dad's project - That's great - Welcome
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 11, 11:13 AM
Senior Tech
alex

Welcome DEREK . AND SEEIN THAT THERE IS NO OTHER PLACE AROUND THE PLACE I RECKON THAT THIS MUST BE THE PLACE I RECKON . ALEX
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 11, 03:06 PM
Senior Tech
harvey

welcome
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 11, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Welcome, Derek. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 11, 07:35 PM
Senior Tech
Paul

Thumbs up Re: Hi there, I'm new

Welcome to team camaro!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode