Ignition Problem Mystery - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 11, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Joe

Ignition Problem Mystery

This is my first time to the forum and I need some advice on an electrical problem with my 69 Camaro RS/SS convertible. When the starter clunked, I first replaced an old battery and then the starter and it continued to clunk. After jiggling the ignition switch with the key inserted, no starter sound.

Then I moved the steering wheel tilt up and ran my hands over the wiring harness on the steering column. Now the car starts.

I don't know what is wrong and I'm afraid to ride it.

Any clues as to my problem?

Joe Kono
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 11, 04:25 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Re: Ignition Problem Mystery

Clunk isn't very descriptive - does it start? Clunk then start or Clunk and then nothing when you turn the key?

69 Pace Car and 69 Hard top
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 11, 05:20 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Welcome aboard Joe. You should post this question in the electrical forum since not everyone reads the welcome wagon. But sounds like you have a short / or broken wire in the column and the tilt either connects it or doesn't. Tilt original? so you have a 69? Its is a good idea every time you post to include details about your vehicle or include these in your signature. That way we can get to the marrow of your issue without ten post back and forth to discover this information.

You can buy a remote starter button at any decent auto parts source. These are used for tuning and testing and hook that direct to your starter. If you hit the remote starter button and the starter engages and sounds strong then your issue is in the ignition/steering wiring in the column.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 11, 06:20 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
Then I moved the steering wheel tilt up and ran my hands over the wiring harness on the steering column. Now the car starts.
on the top of the column is a wire rod that goes from the upper part down to a switch...?It is bloody sensive, the slightest tweeak and bend the wrong way or the switch mounted into its slotted mounting holes incorectly adkust causs intermitent issues

Its quite a few yrs since I ran into issues when rebuilding putting my column in ...so my description may not be 100% acruate, but bloody close.

As to the clunk..that should not relate to the above unless its partly or contactng few a split sec.

Jumpimg the connections from the batt lead on the back of the starter is a quick test to see if the solenoid is throwing/ the starter spins free and both together...use an old screw driver and dont let the sparks intimindate you.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 11, 07:59 PM
Senior Tech

Welcome from another southern central Texan.

Ron
The

An exercise in interchangeability on a Well optioned 67 SS 350 vert.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode