Long time view, first time poster....68 Coupe in need of help - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 11, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dan
 
CHIPSTER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Corpus Christi, Texas
Posts: 68
Long time view, first time poster....68 Coupe in need of help

I've been gathering intel on the best way to begin my project. It started out at a driver, but wasn't really reliable enough for me to trust. First of all, the last owner set up a push button start and a kill switch however the kill switch didn't work. There involved a piece of speaker wire connecting the coil to the battery that would have to be placed on the positive terminal before start and removed from the terminal in order to turn the engine off...or I could just stall it. Decided to rip the entire harness out and start over...that was pretty smooth. They lowered it by pinching two of the sping coils between a u-bolt.

Anyway, she doesn't have the numbers matching engine, but does have the original Muncie, factory front disc brakes, and very little rust. I'm gonna need your guys' help to get this beauty turning heads.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	68 Camaro.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	23492  

-Dan
1968 Camaro (just getting started)
Follow my build thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CHIPSTER is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 11, 10:02 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian
 
69-Pace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Connecticut USA
Posts: 12,511
Garage
Re: Long time view, first time poster....68 Coupe in need of help

Quote:
Originally Posted by danieldouglass View Post
I've been gathering intel on the best way to begin my project. It started out at a driver, but wasn't really reliable enough for me to trust. First of all, the last owner set up a push button start and a kill switch however the kill switch didn't work. There involved a piece of speaker wire connecting the coil to the battery that would have to be placed on the positive terminal before start and removed from the terminal in order to turn the engine off...or I could just stall it. Decided to rip the entire harness out and start over...that was pretty smooth. They lowered it by pinching two of the sping coils between a u-bolt.

Anyway, she doesn't have the numbers matching engine, but does have the original Muncie, factory front disc brakes, and very little rust. I'm gonna need your guys' help to get this beauty turning heads.
Nice project. Doesn't look to ratty unlike most project cars at their starts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
69-Pace is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 11, 12:37 PM
Senior Tech
Paul
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 5,895
Thumbs up Re: Long time view, first time poster....68 Coupe in need of help

Welcome to team camaro!!
1969 RS/SS DROPTOP is online now  
 
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 11, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule
 
Everett#2390's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Va Beach VA
Posts: 32,203
Garage
Re: Long time view, first time poster....68 Coupe in need of help

Welcome, Dan. Correct year. Easy project. Thanks for the picture.
Any more? Ask away.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
Everett#2390 is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 11, 09:53 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tory
 
Camaros-n-Chevelles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island
Posts: 1,338
Re: Long time view, first time poster....68 Coupe in need of help

Hi Dan,
Welcome to Team Camaro. The 68 is my favorite year. It looks like you have a very solid foundation to build upon. Good Luck with your project.

Tory
1968 Camaro Coupe
1964 Malibu SS Unrestored 36,000 Mile Survivor
1964 Malibu SS Hardtop
1966 Chevelle SS 396
1968 Malibu L-79, 1 of 4082 ~ SOLD
1955 Chevrolet Bel Air Unrestored 15,000 Mile Survivor
1955 Chevrolet Nomad
1984 Hurst Olds with Factory Sunroof, 1 of 99 ~ SOLD
1992 Camaro 396 LS, 4L60, 9" Posi w /3.50:1 Gear Set
Camaros-n-Chevelles is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 11, 12:54 AM
Senior Tech
Tim
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,659
Re: Long time view, first time poster....68 Coupe in need of help

Nice starting point! And welcome!

1969 04A Van Nuys-built Z/28. Cortez Silver with dark blue interior and VE3. Sold Clippinger Chevrolet. Raced at Lions in LA.
ZLP955 is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 11, 08:17 AM
David
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 19
Re: Long time view, first time poster....68 Coupe in need of help

Looks like a good starting platform. Like all (most) of us, budget really determines where the car ends up. Be realistic with the budget, then add at least 20% more Suspension and wheels will be your biggest expenses if you don't plan to replace the motor or have the car repainted. Everything else after that is around $200, that's why I love Chevy.

- David
1967 Camaro - In remembrance of my friend Scott
MyFriendScott is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 11, 08:11 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Sonny
 
restore-z28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 1,048
Garage
Re: Long time view, first time poster....68 Coupe in need of help

Dan welcome to Team Camaro site and best of luck with the project.

1969 Z28 (Sold)
1970 Z28 (Sold)
1970 RS Z28 Camaro (Green)



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
restore-z28 is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 11, 08:25 PM
Senior Tech
George
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lakewood, WA
Posts: 1,735
Re: Long time view, first time poster....68 Coupe in need of help

easy project, see my link below to see a moderate project. there are links here of people saving total write-offs.... if it is solid, go for it full throttle

the correct year as has been said already
fix the basics first. I'd see a huge improvement with the wheels being Argent again..and a front bumper

tell us about the engine and the rest of the car, more pics too
your skill level?

George Kettler
US ARMY Retired
o 70 Elky SOLD 9/2016
o 68 Vette 427, 4 spd ac owner 25 years
o 68 Camaro Rallye Green Vert 327/2004R/3.73
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
kettbo is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 11, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dan
 
CHIPSTER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Corpus Christi, Texas
Posts: 68
Re: Long time view, first time poster....68 Coupe in need of help

The 68 is my favorite, but I thought the majority liked the 69. This is a CA Camaro with little to no rust and was running when I bought it, but not like I want it to run. It has a 350 (I think from a 73 C10), a Muncie 4-speed (which I will re-use), and a 12 bolt rear end. The previous owner really rigged it up as I eluded to in my original post. My skill level? Well let just say that I took auto shop as a freshman in high school 15 years ago and learned to change oil, which I have done a few times since (haha). I am, however, mechanically inclined and won't have trouble learning.

I actually just started ripping it apart. Starting with the front end, I'm going to update the suspension with Hotchkis CAs, tall upper ball joints, 2" lowering springs, new steering components, and hopefully while I'm in there update the brakes (it already has factory discs up front, but for some reason I want to spend more money than I have on Baer, Wilwood, etc). At the same time, I plan to have the subframe cleaned up/powder coated and the Muncie & rear end rebuilt. Then, probably a crate motor....Anybody ever here of United Racing Engines?

You can check out the photos at the link below. What do you guys think about build threads?

-Dan
1968 Camaro (just getting started)
Follow my build thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CHIPSTER is offline  
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 11, 07:22 AM
Senior Tech
Russ
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Gilroy,CA
Posts: 1,748
Re: Long time view, first time poster....68 Coupe in need of help

Looks like a great project Dan. 68 is definitely the right year. Took me 12 years to get my 68 convertible back on the road as it was $100 hear and $500 there as I could afford.

When you clean up the sub frame add some welded in sub frame connectors, they really help stiffen the car up. I like the ones made by Hotchkis.

Russ (RJ)
The Garlic Capital, Gilroy,CA

(sold June 15,2014) 1968 RS convertible that is not quite stock

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
rj68RS is offline  
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 11, 12:06 PM
Senior Tech
Hotchkis
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Santa Fe Springs, CA
Posts: 243
Re: Long time view, first time poster....68 Coupe in need of help

Quote:
Originally Posted by danieldouglass View Post
The 68 is my favorite, but I thought the majority liked the 69. This is a CA Camaro with little to no rust and was running when I bought it, but not like I want it to run. It has a 350 (I think from a 73 C10), a Muncie 4-speed (which I will re-use), and a 12 bolt rear end. The previous owner really rigged it up as I eluded to in my original post. My skill level? Well let just say that I took auto shop as a freshman in high school 15 years ago and learned to change oil, which I have done a few times since (haha). I am, however, mechanically inclined and won't have trouble learning.

I actually just started ripping it apart. Starting with the front end, I'm going to update the suspension with Hotchkis CAs, tall upper ball joints, 2" lowering springs, new steering components, and hopefully while I'm in there update the brakes (it already has factory discs up front, but for some reason I want to spend more money than I have on Baer, Wilwood, etc). At the same time, I plan to have the subframe cleaned up/powder coated and the Muncie & rear end rebuilt. Then, probably a crate motor....Anybody ever here of United Racing Engines?

You can check out the photos at the link below. What do you guys think about build threads?

Dan - It looks like you have a great project '68! It looks like you have a good plan with the front suspension upgrades. Thanks for considering Hotchkis in your plans. If you want some advice about engines, you should go to the "Mechanical" section of the forum and post in the "Engine" topic area. You'll get a lot more response about engines there.

Good luck on the rebuild.
Hotchkis is offline  
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 11, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dan
 
CHIPSTER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Corpus Christi, Texas
Posts: 68
Re: Long time view, first time poster....68 Coupe in need of help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotchkis View Post
Dan - It looks like you have a great project '68! It looks like you have a good plan with the front suspension upgrades. Thanks for considering Hotchkis in your plans. If you want some advice about engines, you should go to the "Mechanical" section of the forum and post in the "Engine" topic area. You'll get a lot more response about engines there.

Good luck on the rebuild.
By the way, I posted in the Suspension area a question regarding solid body mounts and subframe connectors. Since I was planning to use Hotchkis SFC's maybe I'll just ask you here......Are you aware of any compatability issues with your SFC and alum body mounts? Some have said that Global West mounts do not fit the Hotchkis SFC. Which solid mounts do you recommend?

-Dan
1968 Camaro (just getting started)
Follow my build thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CHIPSTER is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome