Bessies transformation - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 11, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Corey

Bessies transformation

Well guys, first off I'd like to thank all the members of this site for the endless ammounts of help, and knowledge possesed in these forums. You may notice I've been here for years, but never gave an introduction. This post is primarily to THANK those who have helped thus far, and reassure new owners they've come to the best first gen site online!

When I joined this forum I must of been 15-16 years old. I've been lurking the entire time, wearing the search function out.

After all the help from this great forum, I finally have something to show for it, aside from credit card bills lol!

My car started out as a plain jane 327 2 speed. It had two owners before my (now) 94 year old grandmother bought it for my 16 year old mother, in the early 70s. She loved it, poured $$ into it. Gave her a name, "Bessie". When it became an old money pit, traded it for economical new car regretably. Bessie drove by with new owner behind wheel, new 350 4 speed, cowl hood and exhaust cut off. She told her disgust of selling car to her auto body husband. When he heard it was parked behind barn wrecked front and rear, missing engine/trans he went to check it out and work a deal. Brought my mother to see it, ask if she was interested in it back. She declined "its not the same car anymore, bessie is gone". Brought her home, and went back to buy it for himself. A deal was struck, and it was in driveway. Mother said "I told you I didn't want it". He informed her she had first choice, now it was his. Stockpiled parts, but with family life and newborn, Bessie sat outside untoched until the newborn son turned 15 and had earned enough cash detassling and working odd jobs, to attempt a complete father/son resto.

I swear, first month of restoration seemed like it involved nothing but scraping algae and mold off Bessie. She was a mess. Interior piled to ceiling with spare parts so I wouldn't play in muscle car as a kid. Fast forward many years, countless dollars, and long nights in garage. It started with a modest budged and goals, make it safe, drop a nasty motor in her and let her run ugly and dented. Subframe mounts patched, floors replaced, etc etc..make it solid. Then came introduction to this forum. Might as well go with a 4-wheel disc brake conversion. Iroc box conversion. Etc, etc. Anytime I had a doubt as to "what's best way to do this?", this forum was scoured. Original goals have been surpassed ten fold.

"Bad Bessie" is back on the road for first time in 30+ years. She is far from completed. However, allowing my grandmother to ride in the same seat she did all those years ago teaching my mother to drive, in a resurected car she remembered by name....is a memory I'll never forget. A memory that probably wouldn't of happened without this forums help.

After all that, I just want to say THANK YOU once more to community. My name is Corey, and now that I've got some time to get out from under car and online I look forward to becoming a contributing member of camaros.net. Attached are two pictures of ressurected "Bad Bessie". One with original owner in passenger seat, one immediately out of booth. I've been too busy driving her for past few months to snap a pic of car currently! You guys have been a great help, and I'm proud to be a member of this forum.

Last edited by apbtrock; Sep 20th, 11 at 05:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 11, 12:40 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

Re: Bessies transformation

Cool story.... and congrats!

Ah..... detasselling corn. The great Rite of Passage in the heartland! Did it for 4 years in high school, and the first summer I got out of the Marines.

Experience...... It's what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 11, 12:46 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

That's an awesome story. Nice work! More pics, please!

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 11, 12:50 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Awesome story Corey and a great looking car. Well done!

Grandma, 69.5, Z/28 Finally Done! Well almost...

My Build Thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 11, 03:09 AM
Senior Tech
Jess

Great job... Another 67 saved...

Jess67
67 Camaro Blue 427, 4-speed, 12 bolt

67 Camaro 350, 200-4R, PS, AC, PB, IN PARTS
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 11, 05:56 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rocky

Great story, best year and your absolutely right, this site is awesome. Cant wait to see more pics of which I'm sure is gonna be a cool project. All the best with it.

What's a mid life crisis

67 SS
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 11, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Excellent story. Keep the journey going.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 11, 09:10 PM
Senior Tech
Paul

Thumbs up Re: Bessies transformation

Great story!! Great car!!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 11, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Corey

Thank you guys. I will snap some uploaded pictures tomarrow. Only downside to this story is mother and grandmother are scared to ride in Bessie anymore! A 500 horse 383 is a different animal entirely from 210 horse 327. This car was made barely legal in a hurry after paint as grandmother suffers from a form of alzheimers. Long term memory is great, but will forget who even family members are on bad days. I warn some, at the moment its crude. To worry about correct trim, interior, etc would take longer than I had before winter. Next summer may well be too late. Details will be finished correct this winter.However to create a phyiscal sensation reproduction of 30 year past was imporant to me. Although some days she won't remember that cracked vinyl seat, I"ll never forget.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 11, 12:32 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by apbtrock View Post
Thank you guys. I will snap some uploaded pictures tomarrow. Only downside to this story is mother and grandmother are scared to ride in Bessie anymore! A 500 horse 383 is a different animal entirely from 210 horse 327. This car was made barely legal in a hurry after paint as grandmother suffers from a form of alzheimers. Long term memory is great, but will forget who even family members are on bad days. I warn some, at the moment its crude. To worry about correct trim, interior, etc would take longer than I had before winter. Next summer may well be too late. Details will be finished correct this winter.However to create a phyiscal sensation reproduction of 30 year past was imporant to me. Although some days she won't remember that cracked vinyl seat, I"ll never forget.
Nice job Corey. I have something in common with you. My car was a grandma car. Not my grandma, but I bought my car off the original owner. She was 88 last year. She won't be driving it anytime soon, but the car will stay local and I have been showing the family what I have done to the car so far. Not sure if she would be proud about the power upgrade, but I am sure she can appreciate bringing the car back to new condition or as close as I can get on my budget.

Its nice to have something in common with another project and a great one at that.

How did that song go? "She was alittle old lady from Pasadena?"

Grandma, 69.5, Z/28 Finally Done! Well almost...

My Build Thread

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 11, 07:58 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Sonny

Garage

Awesome story Corey and thanks for sharing.

1969 Z28 (Sold)
1970 Z28 (Sold)
1970 RS Z28 Camaro (Green)

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 11, 04:57 PM
Senior Tech
harvey

pretty cool, enjoy it
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 11, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Corey

Talking Re: Bessies transformation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69z28freak View Post
Nice job Corey. I have something in common with you. My car was a grandma car. Not my grandma, but I bought my car off the original owner. She was 88 last year. She won't be driving it anytime soon, but the car will stay local and I have been showing the family what I have done to the car so far. Not sure if she would be proud about the power upgrade, but I am sure she can appreciate bringing the car back to new condition or as close as I can get on my budget.

Its nice to have something in common with another project and a great one at that.

How did that song go? "She was alittle old lady from Pasadena?"
That's great! I'm sure if she was the original owner of a 69 z, she appreciates power, and more is always better . I'm going to check out your build thread now, sparked my interest with a great story, and keeping family up to date is awesome!

Anyways, day late on promised pictures. Got some unexpected warm weather, and was too busy putting miles on her before she gets torn apart for winter work

Thanks for the words guys. Off to look at grandma car, and scour for more t56 info
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20110920_171637.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	24666   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20110920_171625.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	24668  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode