New to forum - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old May 20th, 12, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
ryan

New to forum

Hey all,My name is Ryan and I inherited a 68 convertable from my Dad. It was his pride and joy and I would like to keep it that way for my son as well. But it has sat in his garage for years when he was sick and never driven. So when I went to get it out and look to see what needed to be done to it, unfortunatley it needs a new clutch and I have no idea what kind to get. So, Iam hoping the online community could make a few suggestions. I will tell you all I know about the car is that its 68 396/427 convertable. The engine came from a Chevelle that he had a long time ago. I tried looking on some sites like Jeggs or Ricks Camaros, but couldnt really make any sense out of any of it. Iam not a restorer by any means but am pretty mechanically competent. If I have directions I can get it done so I originally planned on doing it my self but if its something I should have someone else do I have no problem with that. Just thought about saving a few hundred..lol. Anyways if you need more info to help with my situation I can give what I know and thanks in advance!!!!
Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old May 21st, 12, 05:44 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: New to forum

Welcome, Ryan. Congrats on the inheritance.
Reads like a good story, both past and future, for the car and family.
Correct year by the way.

No problem with doing the clutch swap-out on your own. Pretty much an easy job for the DIY-er.
But, I must warn you, safety is the key. If you have not done a simular job, you might get a book/manual and read-up. Do you have the shop tools - jackstands, jack, as well as a good set of hand tools?
Do you think you can bench press 80 lbs?
Need a trans jack?
Need a jack for the engine support underneath?

You will get a lot of good suggestions here.
As far as clutch package, I have never had a problem with GM parts, but listen to others here.
Keep in mind, 'Snowball Effect'
Also, 'Think before executing.'
Warning - you'll be gigged for pictures.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old May 21st, 12, 10:55 AM
Senior Tech
Paul

Thumbs up Re: New to forum

Welcome to team camaro!!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old May 21st, 12, 11:02 AM
Senior Tech
Russ

Welcome to TC and as Everette said, right year ! On the clutch you have choices in how stiff the pressure plate springs are and the material the disc is made of. If you are mainly street driving don't get a strip/race clutch or your leg will never forgive you as you drive around town. Look for clutch kits which include pressure plate, disc, and throwout bearing. Some of the big name manufacturers are Hays, McLeod, RAM, Zoom. Check Summit Racing for package deals.

Russ (RJ)
The Garlic Capital, Gilroy,CA

(sold June 15,2014) 1968 RS convertible that is not quite stock

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old May 21st, 12, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
ryan

Thanks for the replys guys. I made quick peak at the car today and it seems he had a Hays clutch in it before. I really dont want it as stiff as he had it before. Like you were saying it was a pain to drive around and just cruise with the stiff clutch like it was. As far as tools and such yes I have a good tool set with jacks and jack stands. I dont however have a trans jack. Is that somethiung I will be needing? Also, what kind of book would you suggest for such a task? I have several Chiltons but not for this car and not sure that it would even say how to do major work. Anyways, keep the suggestions coming I love it. Also any links to the correct clutch? Thats really my dilema now is which one fits the car
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old May 21st, 12, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
ryan

oh and as far as pics....if I can get the darn thing out of the garage I will surely grab some for ya guys...lol
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old May 21st, 12, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
ryan

would something like this work for my application?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MCL-75121/
or am I going to need something beefier?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old May 21st, 12, 06:53 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Armando

New member , Armando from kirkwood ny
paint next week
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	69camaro1.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	28612  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 12, 11:29 AM
Senior Tech
Russ

I don't use a trans jack, find them to be too clumsy when under the car on jack stands. I use my standard floor jack and loop a tie down strap around the trans and through the arms on the floor jack. Been doing it this way for over 30 years and never dropped a trans or crushed a finger.

Not sure what to suggest on a manual as I haven't had to buy one in years. In the old days it's was Haynes or Chilton, maybe something better now ?

Russ (RJ)
The Garlic Capital, Gilroy,CA

(sold June 15,2014) 1968 RS convertible that is not quite stock

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 12, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

MHO, it may be a little strong. A lot of members here use Centerforce.

I believe your bellhousing is going to determine the diameter of clutch, but since a BBC, you may already have a -621 b/housing for an 11 inch clutch as a -403 b/housing is for a 10.5 inch diameter. Once clutch is out, or you find these numbers on your b/housing, I wouldn't get the cltch set-up until known what is there.

I would not buy rebuilt. I did once and learned the hard way.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 12, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
ryan

Quote:
MHO, it may be a little strong. A lot of members here use Centerforce.

I believe your bellhousing is going to determine the diameter of clutch, but since a BBC, you may already have a -621 b/housing for an 11 inch clutch as a -403 b/housing is for a 10.5 inch diameter. Once clutch is out, or you find these numbers on your b/housing, I wouldn't get the cltch set-up until known what is there.

I would not buy rebuilt. I did once and learned the hard way.

Thanks Everett, thats the kind of info Iam after
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 12, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Chilton's manual:
http://www.amazon.com/Chevrolet-Camaro-1967-81-Chiltons-Manuals/dp/0801990580/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1337731383&sr=8-4A little pricey, but, available.

'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode