Hey there! - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 12, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Alex

Hey there!

Hey there, everyone! Just thought I'd pop in and introduce myself, since y'all seem nice and friendly, heh.
My name's Alex, I'm 16, and I'm from Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania.
I don't actually own a Camaro, but I've been saving up for a good while to get one for my first car. I signed up here so I could look around and ask questions about them, pretty much.
I plan on buying a project car, and working on it with my old man. He used to have a '69 Camaro, so he should be of use to me, haha. I'm hoping to get a '68 or '69 to work on with him.

Oh, I should also point out that I know absolutely nothing about cars, haha!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 12, 03:56 AM
Guess

Re: Hey there!

Welcome Alex... you came to the perfect place to get started. Good luck finding a project car.
Remember, if it doesn't look rusty from the outside, it most definitely IS rusty on the inside.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 12, 04:17 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Welcome to TC....

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 12, 06:36 AM
Senior Tech
Paul

Thumbs up Re: Hey there!

Welcome to team camaro!!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 12, 06:45 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Always nice to see new blood. Welcome aboard.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 12, 06:57 AM
Senior Tech
Bob

Welcome. As someone said above- if you're buying a 40+ y/o car in Pennsylvania, count on there being 2-3 times the amount of rust that you can see from the outside (or more....lol).

And stop calling your dad your "old man"- he may have to whoop your young butt.....lol
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 12, 06:57 AM
Senior Tech
Rob

Hey there, welcome to TC.

Rob

Sold 6-1-2014 after owning the car for 18+ years

69 Z-28 X-77 HO * DZ Put away * M20 * 4.10
406 CI * CC XR274R 236/[email protected] 564/570 110 LSA/106 ICL * Brodix IK 200
475 HP, 495# tor
Street Tires, Full Exhaust Sep 07 -12.68 @ 113 MPH * Street Tires, Open Headers Oct 08 - 12.65 @ 116.2 MPH
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 12, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Alex

Thanks for the welcome, guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Welcome. As someone said above- if you're buying a 40+ y/o car in Pennsylvania, count on there being 2-3 times the amount of rust that you can see from the outside (or more....lol).

And stop calling your dad your "old man"- he may have to whoop your young butt.....lol
He calls himself old man, haha.

Quote:
Welcome Alex... you came to the perfect place to get started. Good luck finding a project car.
Remember, if it doesn't look rusty from the outside, it most definitely IS rusty on the inside.
Thanks for the tip, heh.

Like I said, I know absolutely nothing about cars, is rust going to be a huge problem if there's a lot of it?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 12, 09:31 AM
Senior Tech
Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex. View Post
Is rust going to be a huge problem if there's a lot of it?
Only if the holes are larger than your wallet......

The nice thing about these cars is that you can buy just about any piece of sheetmetal you need to replace and it'll fit with only a little bit of tweaking. When I was getting started with cars at your age (25+/- years ago), there was very little available beyond poorly stamped quarter panel patches, so anything that needed to be replaced started out as a flat sheet of metal and had to be formed to fit.

The bad part is, if you decide to tackle a car with a lot of rust, the cost of the above mentioned parts can add up fast- my current project was a real rust bucket (only the roof, cowl, and inner structure will be salvaged), and the total sheetmetal cost will end up being around $5k (just material). Sometimes it's better to spend a little more up front to get a car that's more solid, but you've really got to dig into it to make sure someone hasn't done some half-azzed repairs that are hidden under carpet or paint.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 12, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Alex

Oh, alright. By the end of this, around how much should getting a car up and running cost? And how much to just get the project started? Not looking for an EXACT number obviously, just in the ballpark.

I've got about $5k saved up by this point, by the end of the summer I should have around $8k.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 12, 10:36 AM
Senior Tech
Bob

Depends on your starting point. Here's a link to a '69 on Craiglist that's laughably overpriced at $13k- should be more like $3-5k (sadly) in that market given it's condition.

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/3083883274.html

You could easily spend $15-20k getting that car to look like something you'd be proud to drive.

Here's another one that's listed for $16k, that looks to be a great deal if it looks as good in person as it does on Craigslist.

http://allentown.craigslist.org/cto/3086500625.html

And here's one that's listed for $11k that still needs $10-15k to get it together, between interior, drivetrain, paint, etc.

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3004201690.html
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 12, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Alex

So, basically, 8 grand isn't even close to enough to get a car started? xD
Seems like I'll have to save up for a while :/
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 12, 10:47 AM
Senior Tech
Bob

Sometimes you get lucky, and you might stumble across something drivable for $8k, but seeing how the weather beats the snot out of old metal up there, most drivers are going to be more than that. Keep an eye out, and maybe you'll get lucky, but don't get excited and jump on the first thing that comes along- things that are "too good to be true" usually are....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode