OK, here's an update. 2 years later, LOL. Life has been getting in the way of my hot rodding... but I'm back at giving the camaro some attention.
After I finished rebuilding the brakes, I had all the rusty sheet metal replaced, which was extensive. I found a good body shop (SC autocraft) to do the really heavy surgery. New frame rails, new trunk, both new quarters (full), new rockers, new package tray/reat seat area, new gas tank, new shock mounts... pretty much everything aft of the doors is all new steel. I also have new inner/outer fenders, new battery tray, scored an original cowl hood, and new lower valance since I'll be converting to RS grill.
Its not much to look at right now, but basically everything that is black is new metal. This wasn't cheap, but everything I farmed out to the body shop has been done the right way. They did all the work on their frame rack to make sure everything on the car was going together straight. Its a great feeling to have all rust free sheet metal with no bondo.
It turns out that the engine that I THOUGHT was a 327 was actually a 283 when I ran the numbers. That 283 engine ran great, but I want to burn rubber, and a 283 is not enough of the cubic inch stuff, so I ran an ad on craigslist and promptly sold this engine.
I put together a 350 engine. I scored a re-ringed 4 bolt main short block from a drift/racer dude in Puyallup. The bearings in it didn't look bad, but I put in new rods/mains anyway along with a new oil pump. I used some 58cc -416 heads that I had sitting around from an old HO 305. I refreshed those and did a couple tricks to 'em to make them work with the 350. I figure its around 9-9.5:1 compression with the stock dish type pistons. It had some kind of rowdy cam in the block already so I left it in there. The drift guy didn't remember the specs but he said it was 'one or two grinds above an RV'. It sounds pretty brutal through headers and it is definitely not stock. I topped it off with old school 'vette covers, vintage edelbrock C4B intake, pro-comp electronic distributor and a holley 600 that I rebuilt myself.
Lately I've been using it as a test mule for different carbs I have. It now has a 650 carter AFB that I had sitting around. I'm really wanting to get this out and drive it soon. I just called my auto glass buddy to order a windshield. He says it will be here tomorrow, and he'll come glue it in. I'm going to put the front clip on and the tail lights, cobble up an exhaust and a couple other things, and actually drive this sucker. The good weather is here, and I just want to get it out and cruise it. No interior, no paint, no glass, and I don't care. Its a hot rod, and it will work fine as is, at least for august.