New and a little bit about my car - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 12, 07:03 AM Thread Starter
Alex

New and a little bit about my car

Hey everyone. So I finally talked my father out of his Camaro. He bought it brand new and drove it until he parked it in 1975 and it has sat in a garage ever since. Everything is original with around 78k miles on it. The small barn it was parked in started coming down around it and we moved it to his garage in town about 8 years ago. Just this week I finally convinced him to let me take it and try to restore it to it's former beauty.

I could use a little bit of help with it and I turned here for some information. It is a 1968 Convertible. The Color is Ash Gold. It 327/210 hp engine in it. It came with a 4 speed on the floor, which is something I noticed isn't as common. It also has a front stripe around the front which he said came factory. It is a non RS/SS as far as I can tell. I'll post a couple pictures. It seems to be in pretty good condition when comparing it to other cars of it's year.

I talked to a shop here in town and they said they take on engine rebuilds like this during the winter in their down time so I will probably have it worked on this winter, trying to keep it as stock as possible.

I'm sure I will be asking some questions in the future. Thank you everyone for reading my story.

Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03785.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	29562   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03789.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	29563   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03795.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	29564  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 12, 07:10 AM
Banned
Rob

Re: New and a little bit about my car

Welcome to TC. Great story and you will find a bunch of great guys and gals with a ton of knowledge.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 12, 07:13 AM
Senior Tech
Camarodude67

Yes plane jane car, does this car have a 12-bolt? If it was a 327/275 Car then a more rare car, still 1 one owner car still a big deal. Have fun you came to the right place for information and support.

What is the code on the front pad, are you are it is a 210HP car, 2-Barrel?
Jeff G.
69 Vert

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 12, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
Alex

Information from the Cowl plate:

Body by fisher
ST 68 12467 LOS 00417/ Body
TR 721 G-2 Paint

I'm not sure if that is what you were looking for? I have a picture of the engine, but I guess I've already maxed out my uploads. It says 327 turbo fire and 210 horsepower on top.

Last edited by CamaroAlex; Aug 9th, 12 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Mis read a couple numbers
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 12, 07:37 AM
Kevin

Very nice! Hold on to EVERY original part you take off, do not throw ANYTHING away. most of the original parts can be refurbished/rebuilt instead of using incorrect repro parts. Do not let the machine shop deck your engine numbers!

The ash gold deluxe interior is very rare and you may not be able to replace it so you should try to clean/repair/save every part! (except for the carpet, that can go once you get the new one installed after using it as a template on how to cut the new one ) good luck!

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 12, 08:19 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

Here's a link to help you find the engine numbers the guys are talking about: http://www.camaros.org/drivetrain.shtml

Experience...... It's what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 12, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Welcome, Alex. Nice story, great looking Camaro.
As others have suggested, save the old parts.
With a 210 HP engine, you would have a cast iron Saginaw transmission, a 10-bolt rear axle (bolt count relating to number of bolts on both functions, holding on the inspection cover and securing the ring gear to carrier inside), more than likely a 3.08 gear ratio, and monoleaf rear springs. You can get the rear axle code from the front of the pass axle tube - take a wire brush or sandpaper to get the numbers.

My suggestion is to take pictures and make an album during disassembly for use later in life as a reference.
As Brian suggested, read up over at camaros.org to learn about her.

And there is nothing wrong with the rear tire, it is flat just in one spot - no problem.
Does she have a name?

Oh, correct year, BTW.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 12, 01:01 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Welcome to TC!

Looks to have deluxe interior also. What other options does it have (besides V8/4-speed combo)?

Correct year????? We all know that 67 is the only correct year... Gotta have wings if ya wanna fly!

67 Camaro: 454/TH400/4.10 12 bolt. Lots of options: PS/PDB/PW, tilt, tach, gauges and more. K-K + 797-Z...

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy" - Sir Ernest Benn
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 12, 01:29 PM
Senior Tech
James

Definetly has the Custom Interior (aka deluxe) and Z21 exterior style trim.
Gold vinyl soft trim should be available, but colored hard plastic trim will only be available in black and require dying gold. So save any gold trim thats usable.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 12, 01:50 PM
Senior Tech
harvey

very nice camaro ur very lucky to have and maney years enjoying her Happy Motoring
Welcome Alex to team camaro P.S. i like hearing stories like urs
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 12, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Alex

Thanks everyone for the welcome. As you can tell my little one car garage gives me very little room to manuever. I'm planning on this being a true project car and it's going to take a little bit of time. When I start digging into it I'll make sure to take a lot of pictures. I'll try and check around the forums for guides before asking too many questions.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 12, 06:18 PM
Senior Tech
Paul

Thumbs up Re: New and a little bit about my car

Welcome to team camaro!!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 12, 12:43 PM
Senior Tech
Rich

Welcom Alex! you have a great start and the best part is its all there -original engine trans and diff - not too many here are anymore! please keep this one bone stock or save to install at a later date. If you get the urge to pump the engine up- start with another block and well you know what were getting at. i had a chance to help a friend bring a stock 68 to texas this summer on power tour - all original triple black car 327 and powerglide- a real nice ride - wait till you get it running again and the looks people will give you it will amaze you - not to mentions of all the offers to buy it! really neet heirloom you have there!

69 R/S Z/28 302 X33 D80 late 09C
69 T/A clonification LS6-6speed under construction
15 ZL1
64 Chevelle wagon 6.0l planned sons toy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode