New to Camaros - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 12, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ben

New to Camaros

Hi everyone.

I just purchased a Camaro this past week that I will be doing a restoration on.

it is a standard 67 convertable with a small block and a 2 speed powerglide in it.

It needs a lot of attention including new rockers/floor/ quaters/ rear frame rails and interior so just about everything needs to be done.

I purchased all the new metal on monday and will start bracing the doors tonight so I can replace the rockers 1st. any tips would be appreciated . I dont need any welding help as I have been teaching welding at the college level for 12 years now but rather any do's and donts on these cars would be appreciated. This is my first camaro project and am really looking forward to driving the car next spring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 12, 09:09 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

Re: New to Camaros

Welcome to Team Camaro
I haven't purchased many repro panels, but be aware of the work involved in getting some of those parts to fit. You're into welding, so you know there is always some work. Bottom line, if you haven't already, .. take note of the brand panels that some are having luck with.
Congrats with the purchase, ...and of course the project

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 12, 09:12 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Carl

Re: new to camaros

Congratulations on your first Camaro! As everyone here will tell you, you picked the right year

There is a lot of good information on this site. Try using the search feature and you'll find a wealth of information. Good luck with your build and post pics periodically.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 12, 05:31 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Welcome, Ben.
Congrats on the buy, enjoy the journey.
Take plenty of pictures and make notes for later reference.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 12, 06:19 PM
Senior Tech
Paul

Thumbs up Re: New to Camaros

Welcome to team camaro!!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 12, 06:33 PM
Senior Tech
Bob

I just finished te replacement of pretty much everything but the roof on my '69, so I know exactly what you're about to embark on. Other than quarters, which everyone recommends buying from AMD, you're not likely to have too many issues with pieces fitting- I used stuff from Dynacorn, CHlL, and GoldenStar, and everything fit very well.

I'd recommend taking out one piece at a time so you've always got the rest of the existing stuff to refer back to. I mounted my shell on a body jig so the factory mounting points were kept in position, and started with one rocker at a time. I did the inners and outers on both sides, and also had to replace the lower door jamb and inner quarter on both sides. Once those were done, I replaced the inner and outer wheelhouses, then took out the floor, entire trunk and frame rails together. The pieces to replace those all went in at once, using the jig to align them.

I installed new door shells next, using the old quarters to align them, and was then able to use the door shells to align the new quarters. The quarters, deck filler and tail panel were then replaced together.

There's a thread in the Build Projects section with a link to my photobucket album. I'm on an iPad right now, so I don't have the link handy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode