2000 coupe - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 12, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
hans

2000 coupe

Hey,this comming weekend I'm flying from La. to NY. and will be driving back in my new 2000 camaro coupe. It was my fathers and has less than 50k,miles on it. It has also been put up for years since his death,waiting on legal b/s and my ability to retrieve it. Was wondering,all the reviews have been great so far and I plan on doing a thorough inspection and maintenance on it before the 1500 mile trip home but is there anything that you guys can think of that is a common problem with these cars. Any time sensitive parts that give out just because of age. ANY info would help, I own an old ford truck so do know a few things but not much about a newer camaro. I'm definitely going to keep it for as long as posible but for now want to make it back home. Thank y'all in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 12, 11:11 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

Re: 2000 coupe

I just sold one of my 69's and got a 2002 ss le, it's a well engineered car. One thing I've learned is the LS1 has a problem with water pump gaskets leaking. Also I have a slight oil leak which appears to be a valve cover, other than those two things all is fine.

1969 Z28

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Firebird 400

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My new project for 2010 DONE/ Sold.

2002 Camaro SS LE/SLP
67 Nova SS 327, M20, 3.73
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 12, 01:00 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I daily drive a 2002 Z28 and have had 2 other 4th gens as well. I recently sold my 98 with 184,xxx on it and it ran like a champ. They are well built automobiles (if you can get past the plastic interior - doesn't bother me).

If the car has been well maintained it should make the journey without a problem.

And Welcome to Team Camaro!

67 Camaro: 454/TH400/4.10 12 bolt. Lots of options: PS/PDB/PW, tilt, tach, gauges and more. K-K + 797-Z...

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy" - Sir Ernest Benn

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 12, 01:23 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Wink Re: 2000 coupe

Those are usually good vehicles and should be just fine.

But ... before you go anywhere with a vehicle that's been sitting;
- change the oil and filter before you drive it far - there's a lot of 'stuff' in it by now you want gone.
- change the fuel filter (and grab a spare) before you drive home
- fill the tank with a 'fresh' tank of fuel and maybe a 'dryer' additive if it's been sitting where moisture could have entered/accumulated in tank.
- obviously check all the fluid levels very carefully.
- check the brakes and tires
- replace the wiper blades (and fill washer) before you need them
- buy some spare fuses
- take a GOOD flashlight

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 12, 04:08 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

I'd go ahead and put a new battery in it. They go bad with time not use usually plus those side post terminals are prone to corroding and rotting out.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 12, 04:24 PM
Senior Tech
Paul

Thumbs up Re: 2000 coupe

Welcome to team camaro!!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 12, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Welcome to the Club, Hans.
Good suggestions given. Mine sre check the tires for dry rot cracks. If cracked severly, replace them as they will get heated and may have a blowout. Keep tires inflated at least to 32 PSI.
Next, remove the radiator cap and check the coolant. If sludge is on the cap, change the coolant, having a flush performed would be worth the money spent before the trip.
Along with the flashlight, take a bottle of waterless hand cleaner and a sacrifical towel for a rag/hand cleaner.
My condolences on Father's death. He'll be with you on your trip as your guardian angel in case anything happens.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 12, 05:40 PM
Senior Tech
mike

get a garmin , grab your cell , and check the normal things and hit the road . 50 K , thats still a puppy . my 01 z ( that i brought brand new with 3 miles on it ) has north of 135 k and is still a fully functioning car that everything works on . i still get a kick out of driving it and it still looks great .
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 12, 10:35 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Also, if you do change coolant be aware that you can't mix orange DexCool with regular green coolant.

67 Camaro: 454/TH400/4.10 12 bolt. Lots of options: PS/PDB/PW, tilt, tach, gauges and more. K-K + 797-Z...

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy" - Sir Ernest Benn
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 12, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
hans

Thank you all for the welcome and the info.Yes the batterie is dead but will start and run with a jump,according to my brothers. Was going to change all fluids and belt(s). Also check hoses and brakes. They say the tires are good,it was in a garrage untill this last spring. I know that the 90's truck engines had a problem with a heater hose addaptor that would rot and was(is) a major pain to replace. Was hoping there were no suprises like that in store. Sounds so far like it's going to be a great car, will just take some getting used to. My truck sets up very high and I enjoy the visibility, but it's old and I've put it through hell. I will certainly enjoy the fuel milage and a/c in the camaro along with less maintenance and cheeper tires. ? what tires have y'all found are best for these cars ??. thanks again.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 12, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Talk to Discount Tire, a sponsor here.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode