New Chevy Man - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 12, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Mike

New Chevy Man

Hello all,
I'm a Heavy Chevy Man from down south. I've owned many Chevy's but never a Camaro , never had the money or the right Camaro. Too expensive or too much rust.
Here is my situation, I have come across a 1989 Iroc. Original owner [70 yr old Lady] Details on the car: always serviced at the Dealership, All original except Cat back flow master exhaust. Interior is clean no cracks on dash has original floor mats only one tear on driver seat. Body straight no accidents needs paint do to clear cote peeling and faded paint NO rust. She claims car was built for Highway Patrol and came w/o stereo which dealer installed for the sale. Fuel tank only 10 gallons. Mileage:70,000
Asking $2,500
Car is 450 miles from me and I'm waiting on pics of the car and RPO codes before I travel to buy.
I really wasn't looking to buy an Iroc but it seems like I have an opportunity to buy a piece of history at the right price.
What do yall think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 12, 11:40 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: New Chevy Man

Welcome to Team Camaro!

If it's an IROC then it's not a B4C (cop car RPO) as all 3rd gen B4C's were RS cars (IIRC). A couple of friends of mine have 3rd and/or 4th gen B4C's. They make great race cars. Basically heavy duty everything in the lightest model...

At any rate, if it's clean and has only 70,xxx miles on it then it's hardly been used. I used to have an 89 RS and sold it after it accumulated 225,xxx on the original drivetrain.

67 Camaro: 454/TH400/4.10 12 bolt. Lots of options: PS/PDB/PW, tilt, tach, gauges and more. K-K + 797-Z...

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy" - Sir Ernest Benn
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 12, 03:25 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Welcome, Mike.
Read the RPO sticker and as Jim suggests, look for B4C.
However, up to you. Reads like a good deal.
Was the car ever repainted by the GM paint defect?

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 12, 07:00 AM
Guess

Welcome Mike,

If it's as clean as that with 70K miles, and the records add up, $2500 isn't bad.
Take into consideration how far away it is, and is it really what you want? You said you weren't looking for one.
If it really is a B4C car, what will your plans be?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 12, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
Welcome, Mike.
Read the RPO sticker and as Jim suggests, look for B4C.
However, up to you. Reads like a good deal.
Was the car ever repainted by the GM paint defect?
No the car has original paint. Why do you ask?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 12, 07:46 AM Thread Starter
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by HwyStarJoe View Post
Welcome Mike,

If it's as clean as that with 70K miles, and the records add up, $2500 isn't bad.
Take into consideration how far away it is, and is it really what you want? You said you weren't looking for one.
If it really is a B4C car, what will your plans be?
I wasn't looking because of the economy, my Business is seasonal and I'm going into my slow season. I've always wanted a "69","73" and an IROC, just never the right deal. My plans would be to keep it original.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 12, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
Mike

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome and great responses. I'm waiting on more info from seller and I will update at that time.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 12, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Here is some info on the GM paint used back then:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/autom...e-so-many.html

My black '88 Dually has been repainted in '94-'95 due to this problem.
As said in the article, the darker paints were affected the most because of the thermal expansion, er, lack of.
Years later now, the clear coat is peeling off in sheets and base coat is left. It doesn't owe me anything.

Will it reduce the value, probably not, it's a used car.
Does it mean anything, no. If the car goes in for a repaint later, the shop will have to use their expertise in determing how far/much to sand off to get a good adhesive base.

A B4C looks like a Plain Jane. Up to you to make the decision. Weigh the odds carefully along with the ends.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 12, 08:03 AM
Team Member
Jerry R.

Mike, pull the trigger on that deal. For not that much money it's a pretty cool car to own.

my Magnaflow X-pipe system sound clip, click the link

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 12, 09:53 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

In case you don't know, the RPO codes for a 3rd gen are inside the center console on the right (passenger) side. Should be a white sticker with all the codes of everything the car came with.

67 Camaro: 454/TH400/4.10 12 bolt. Lots of options: PS/PDB/PW, tilt, tach, gauges and more. K-K + 797-Z...

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy" - Sir Ernest Benn
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 12, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Mike

Here are a few picks her Granddaughter took. still waiting for rpo codes.[IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG] maybe not. I'll try and load them some other way
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 12, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Mike

Hope this works
http://s1132.photobucket.com/albums/...1/1989%20Iroc/
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 12, 07:28 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Welcome to Team Camaro
At that price I don't see how you could go wrong

69 Z28 x77 10 10 B
02 Z28 black

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 12, 09:58 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Well, it's for sure not a B4C as all B4C's were hard top cars.

Does it have a 350 or a 305?

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 12, 02:54 PM
Senior Tech
harvey

Welcome ,looks like a nice car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode