New Guy Gonna Build a Z28!!! - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 12, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

New Guy Gonna Build a Z28!!!

Hey everyone, I joined this site to help me through the steps of building a '69 Z28. The car isn't mine, I'm building it for someone else. This isn't my first build but it is my first Camaro. Forums like these are invaluable when it comes to advice and information when your working on a project, and I look forward to learning from everyone here.
Anyway, more about the car. The guy I'm building it for bought it back in the early '80's when he was a teenager. He drove it for a few years, took his future wife on dates, all the good stuff. In 1983, the car was a little worse for wear and he and his brother decided they would rebuild the car. They went to the local Chevy dealer and ordered EVERY single body panel and replaced them all on the car. (the panels still have the original GM stickers on the backsides of them, I wonder what they'd be worth now?) Then they had the car painted. After that the car went into storage waiting for the next phase of the rebuild, and that's where it has been since 1983!!!

He wants me to finish the car for him just like the car would have been in '69. The car is an original 4-speed car, but not an original Z28. However, he has managed to find a '69 vintage 302 which is currently sitting under my workbench. I'll be asking you folksl ots of questions along the way, since I was not there when the car was dismantled (I would have only been 6 years old in 1983!)

Last edited by Z28BUILD; Nov 14th, 12 at 03:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 12, 06:06 PM
John

Garage
Re: New Guy Gonna Build a Z28!!!

Welcome to the club.

Great start for a build. I would not bother with building the 302. The 302s are just not that good of street motor.

I'd do a 350 based roller motor and dress it as a 302.

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 12, 06:10 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

Welcome Chris - nice story! Any chance you could post a photo of the pad stamp from the 302 you have there?

1969 04A Van Nuys-built Z/28. Cortez Silver with dark blue interior and VE3. Sold Clippinger Chevrolet. Raced at Lions in LA.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 12, 06:11 PM
Senior Tech
Brad

I to just started a project Camaro that looks almost identical to yours except blue. Looks like we will be learning together. The guys on this site are great and really know there stuff! And once you get done with that Camaro I promise you will want one for your self.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 12, 06:12 PM
Senior Tech
harvey

Welcome , awesome they like to rev to 8 to 9000 rpm's i know a guy here in town who has one it's all orginal they scream
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 12, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

Thank guys for the kind words. I may try to talk the guy into a more "street friendly" engine too, but he's pretty particular when it comes to his cars. This isn't his first build either. Everyone of them has been exactly like what they would have been like coming off the showroom floor.
Don't get me wrong, he is a great guy ( he let me drive his recently finished '70 Road Runner, 440-6-pack, 4-speed).
As far as the stamp on the engine block goes, I don't have a picture handy, but I did all the on-line research to confirm it, and it IS a DZ block. He's trying to track down a set of heads and an original carb for it now. He has an original aluminum intake manifold and NOS Z28 valve covers.
Right now, I have the 12-bolt out on the floor and all the parts are on their way to rebuild it.
One thing we're trying to get sorted out is a good parts supplier up here in Canada, Ontario if possible. We've found one place called "Early Birds" and they are only 3 hours away. They seem like they will be a good place to deal with. Anybody in here from Canada had any experience with Early Birds?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 12, 07:11 PM
Banned
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
Welcome to the club.

Great start for a build. I would not bother with building the 302. The 302s are just not that good of street motor.

I'd do a 350 based roller motor and dress it as a 302.
I would disagree with statement that the 302 is not that good of a street motor.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 12, 03:01 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Welcome to the Club, Chris.
Good story and good luck with the journey.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 12, 03:17 AM
Senior Tech
STEVE

Early Birds are Okay, Camaro Heaven might be more aligned with your needs.

Nice project, all the tough stuff is done !

regards,

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z28BUILD View Post
Thank guys for the kind words. I may try to talk the guy into a more "street friendly" engine too, but he's pretty particular when it comes to his cars. This isn't his first build either. Everyone of them has been exactly like what they would have been like coming off the showroom floor.
Don't get me wrong, he is a great guy ( he let me drive his recently finished '70 Road Runner, 440-6-pack, 4-speed).
As far as the stamp on the engine block goes, I don't have a picture handy, but I did all the on-line research to confirm it, and it IS a DZ block. He's trying to track down a set of heads and an original carb for it now. He has an original aluminum intake manifold and NOS Z28 valve covers.
Right now, I have the 12-bolt out on the floor and all the parts are on their way to rebuild it.
One thing we're trying to get sorted out is a good parts supplier up here in Canada, Ontario if possible. We've found one place called "Early Birds" and they are only 3 hours away. They seem like they will be a good place to deal with. Anybody in here from Canada had any experience with Early Birds?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 12, 04:41 AM
John

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by satz28 View Post
I would disagree with statement that the 302 is not that good of a street motor.
I bought a new Z28 in 69. It was my DD for years. They are great you if keep the revs up. Low end torque is the problem. Launch too low and it bogs too high and you blow the tires off. Solid cam can be tricky for some. The high compression may be an issue with today's 91-93 unleaded fuel.

Guess it depends on how he's gonna use the car. I drive mine.

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 12, 08:21 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z28BUILD View Post
and it IS a DZ block.
Sounds like a good build. Beware that engines get restamped all the time, and DZ is one of the favorite stampings. Like mentioned, post a good, clear shot of the pad. Guys here can tell you if it's restamped or not. If it proves to be a real DZ stamp, see if the guy will post all the numbers here: http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0 Somewhere down the road, someone may be looking for their original engine. Have fun!

Experience...... It's what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 12, 09:14 AM
Senior Tech
Paul

Thumbs up Re: New Guy Gonna Build a Z28!!!

Welcome to team camaro!!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 12, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

Thanks again guys. I'm gonna head over to the restoration forum with my first car question. Hope to hear from over there.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode