New here from the East Bay - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 12, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Anthony

New here from the East Bay

Hey guys I am the proud owner of a 69 Camaro. I am a former mopar guy however I lost steam in my old project and have decided to cut my losses and get what I really wanted, a 69 Camaro!!! The car was bought from around 100 miles away from where I live, the guy owned a shop and I think he sells tons of Camaros. The car is a RUST FREE 350 4 spd car with a 12 bolt rear end. The only problem was the car didnt come with interior but it did come with a bunch of extra parts for the exterior. I tried to ad pics but I am not very cpu savvy, I will get some help from my buddy. I really dont have a set goal but I do know what I want to do with my car, I want an ls2, I want to convert it to electric hideaway lights, have a custom interior(including digital gauges) and a nice set of wheels. A suspension upgrade will come in there somewhere I guess. I really will have a bunch of questions on the best way to do some things becuase I really dont like paying for things twice on my cars if I can help it(I spent about 20k in old dodge chasing my tail). Anyway guys my name is Anthony I look forward to my Camaro experience, Happy Holidays guys!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 12, 05:34 PM
Senior Tech
Rich

Re: New here from the East Bay

Welcome Anthony from a former San Lorenzo resident. I know you will enjoy the wealth of info here. Just ask and you WILL receive!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 12, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Anthony

Here are some picsFor some reason I can only add 2, if anyone can help me get more up let me know please, thanks again guys.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2590.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	31389   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2629.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	31390  

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 12, 06:33 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Carl

Hey Anthony, welcome! Really have two choices when it comes to posting pics; upgrade to the Gold membership and/or create a photobucket type account and post links in your thread (see mine below as an example). You have very limited space with the free membership. Good luck on your build!

1967 350, Hurst TKO 600 5 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi, RS added

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 12, 10:22 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

Welcome Anthony,
Looks like a solid starting point for your build - congratulations on joining up, and getting your first Camaro

1969 04A Van Nuys-built Z/28. Cortez Silver with dark blue interior and VE3. Sold Clippinger Chevrolet. Raced at Lions in LA.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 12, 11:50 AM
Senior Tech
Paul

Thumbs up Re: New here from the East Bay

Welcome to team camaro!!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 13, 12:31 PM
Senior Tech
T.C.

Welcome to the site Anthony, we can help you with the suspension.... let me know if you have any questions.

The car looks great and there is nothing like starting with a rust-free car!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 13, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Carl View Post
Hey Anthony, welcome! Really have two choices when it comes to posting pics; upgrade to the Gold membership and/or create a photobucket type account and post links in your thread (see mine below as an example). You have very limited space with the free membership. Good luck on your build!

Guys heres my photobucket account, these are all the pics I have of my car. Right now the welding and body work is being completed. I picked up hideaway light parts so that and dakota digital gauges are the next step, guys please give me any suggestions or or things you notice about my car. The guy that sold me the car said it was a z28 car but I figured out it was just a v8 car. Thanks for any and all help guys.

http://s1278.beta.photobucket.com/us...ghost/library/

69 Camaro coupe project link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 13, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Suspension View Post
The car looks good so far...... Let me know once you get to the point you are ready to upgrade the suspension and brakes(We are a Wilwood Dealer).

Question guys, do tubular a arms really help? Are they worth the cash? And what about qa1 shocks, are they really good? What would benefit me more immediately?

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 13, 03:13 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Welcome, Anthony.
You have a nice canvas to start your journey
Kudos for finding a rust free body.
Naturally, you will do a search on engine conversion mounts as there are several choices to choose according to other members' posts.
Good luck.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 13, 07:52 AM
Senior Tech
T.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69GreyGhost View Post
Question guys, do tubular a arms really help? Are they worth the cash? And what about qa1 shocks, are they really good? What would benefit me more immediately?

Hey Anthony, the answer really boils down to what you are doing with the car.

I usually ask a few questions before I make any suggestions to determine the best possible bang for the buck.

I think many guys spend more money than they will need or use. I pride myself in asking as many questions as possible before making a decision on what is best for the customers hard earned money.

First question is what do you have for goals for the car once it is done? Is it going to be a factory restoration, daily driver/weekend cruiser, weekend warrior/drag car, Pro-Touring/handling machine, etc.

Second question is do you need and/or plan to improve the braking & steering systems to compliment any suspension upgrades?

Third question is do you have a specific budget in mind?

Lastly, do you plan to do the work yourself?

Last edited by DjD; Jan 11th, 13 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Soliciting removed!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 13, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Anthony

Quote:
Hey Anthony, the answer really boils down to what you are doing with the car.

I usually ask a few questions before I make any suggestions to determine the best possible bang for the buck.

I think many guys spend more money than they will need or use. I pride myself in asking as many questions as possible before making a decision on what is best for the customers hard earned money.

First question is what do you have for goals for the car once it is done? Is it going to be a factory restoration, daily driver/weekend cruiser, weekend warrior/drag car, Pro-Touring/handling machine, etc.

Second question is do you need and/or plan to improve the braking & steering systems to compliment any suspension upgrades?

Third question is do you have a specific budget in mind?

Lastly, do you plan to do the work yourself?

You know what. For now I think my car is going to be a weekend cruiser/daily driver. My buddy has a 67 and he has had his for over a decade and he just now went big breaks tubular a arms qa1 shocks. I think the most I'm going to do now is upgrade the shocks to something in that realm and focus one king my car a running driving car that I can enjoy first. It has a brand new motor and trans and new stock suspension. I should see how I feel about this first. I think, what do you guys say? I think I may have been get timing ahead of myself as usual.

Last edited by DjD; Jan 11th, 13 at 01:46 PM.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 13, 09:50 AM
Senior Tech
T.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69GreyGhost View Post
You know what. For now I think my car is going to be a weekend cruiser/daily driver. My buddy has a 67 and he has had his for over a decade and he just now went big breaks tubular a arms qa1 shocks. I think the most I'm going to do now is upgrade the shocks to something in that realm and focus one king my car a running driving car that I can enjoy first. It has a brand new motor and trans and new stock suspension. I should see how I feel about this first. I think, what do you guys say? I think I may have been get timing ahead of myself as usual.

Believe it or not I completely agree with waiting on making a big decision on suspension now. The #1 priority for now is to get the car on the road first right.

Once you get the car running under it's own power have it alligned and drive it a bit to see if you "feel" it needs anything concerning handling for your driver style.

The one thing I would probably suggest as you mentioned is getting a good set of shocks which I suggest Bilsteins for cruising/spirited driving.

If your car has a front sway bar maybe get a set of poly end links for it.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ens-9-8119g

I would wait on replacing any or all of the bushings until you decided whether or not you are going to tubular arms. Aftermarket arms usually have all new bushings and I would hate to see you waste money by buying two sets of bushing basically.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 13, 11:50 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike, 69's rule

Welcome Anthony! Nice 69 you scored there! Good Luck with the build.

(STAY THIRSTY, MY FRIENDS).

1969 Camaro
1990 IROCZ28 convertible (SOLD)
2004 Silverado Z71 4x4
2008 Pontiac G8 GT
GGSMU member

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 13, 01:22 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Thumbs down Re: New here from the East Bay

Quote:
... If your car has a front sway bar maybe get a set of poly end links for it. ...

I would wait on replacing any or all of the bushings until you decided whether or not you are going to tubular arms. Aftermarket arms usually have all new bushings and I would hate to see you waste money by buying two sets of bushing basically.
That is some of the worst information I've ever heard someone get on this forum (of course not counting, it coming from a vendor trying to boost sales in the forums ...)

In actuality - the BEST investment would be the $50 for a new set of stock Rubber Upper and Lower A-Arm Bushing - specially if he follows your recommendation to get an alignment
This will restore the OEM positioning and control to the front end assembly that will allow a good alignment to be done and also give him the idea conditions to evaluate the handling and decide where to go from there.

Doing any less before trying to align this vehicle - let alone start changing the sway system characteristics - would be the 'Waste of Money' here

An insightful response, to someones quest for a near-stock suspension system at this time, would actually be to recommend he upgrade the stock rubber bushings to the Global West "DEL-A-LUM" system - for a fraction of the cost of 'tubular' arms - which would allow him to experience the minimum amount of component deflection vs. compliant bushings (rubber or 'poly') without excessive street harshness.
A good 'performance' alignment should also be include with the above modification.

The next 'step' would be for him to identify the tire/rim package he will most likely want and match this to his future modifications.
It does NO good to put a a lacking tire package on a vehicle no matter what 'handling' suspension system it has - the tires will always limit the performance ...

As far as after market A-arms.
The upper arms will show the most gain in handling improvements.
Properly spec.d quality upper arms can improve some of the stock geometry, and give the tire package the best possible performance.
The quality designed units correct many of the 1st Gen deficiencies and are still engineered to allow good tire wear characteristics with most tire packages.
Never buy strictly on pricing here - go for properly engineered and designed units (think Detroit Speed, Speed Tech, Hotchkiss ...) as most the lower cost/common units are just 'eye-candy' and actually do little or nothing to really improve handling - and some are downright dangerous!
Besides - money spent here will actually show you where you need/want to best improve from that point - and you won't have to re-spend your money on different arms again

The stock lower arms are actually very good units and there is little to be gained by replacing them during the early stages of most suspension upgrades.
The exception here might be if you are planning on changing the front spring set-up.
If your intention is to upgrade to an adjustable ride-height/coil-over-shock system then you may need to change arms.
Otherwise the majority of the 'eyecandy' arms are just that - and some even weight more than the stock arms and still offer less deflection under load ...

Anything above this level you are really better off looking at a replacement performance Sub-frame from a reputable vendor.
These units will allow you take the next step into truly modern handling performance
But, they sure aren't cheap ... so you will need to be committed to getting the absolute most out of your vehicle before taking this approach.

For more great information - you should read through the information posted by a guy that has also spent years getting the maximum handling out of them and doesn't charge a dime to help you
Here's the link - http://www.pozziracing.com/first_gen_suspension.htm#Top

I would also recommend he stay away from ANY "Poly" parts or systems if he intends to use this as a long-lived dependable street vehicle.
It has been proven time and again that 'Poly' components do not "improve" handling over a stock rubber components and they actually can lead to worse handling if not properly installed and maintained
Having disassembled hundreds of vehicles - that were fitted with 'poly' to 'improve' handling - I can tell you I've yet to find a set that hasn't deflected to the point they are causing alignment issues and/or started to disintegrate in their bores
Besides - I hate the squeaking from 99% of them after a few years of use ...

As always - these are JMHO - based on many years of truly enjoying these cars and modifying them to get the best performance possible ...

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!

Last edited by Vintage 68; Jan 11th, 13 at 01:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode