My wife says "Hey" - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 13, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
the BOSS&Ralph

My wife says "Hey"

After my wife took my Camaro she joined the forum. She politely reminded me that I should do her intro since she signed up a while ago. HER car is a ’68 with an emphasis on street performance. I bought the car with the blower on a poorly built 355. I had my doubts about the build and tune so it went from the trailer to my welder for a wide band oxygen sensor. Before the first time I did a full throttle run I converted it to boost referenced power valves, dialed in the mixtures and added a boost retard box. It felt pretty good in one gear pulls. The first time I attempted to run it through four gears it blew. Looking at the pistons that had not shattered I found ring gaps as tight as .007” on the few rings that had not broken. It looked like the rings butted and took out the cheap hypereutectic pistons which inturn took out the crank and block. I put a 383 that I had in another car and started to enjoy the Camaro.

After about a year my wife said, “Hey instead of painting it red just give to me” (I planned to paint it red and she likes the green). She did have a couple of additional requests, build a real blower motor and put the 6-71 back on it, take out the five speed and make it an automatic, add power steering and a console with a horseshoe shifter.

Her Camaro now has a 406 (aftermarket block) Scat crank and rods, SRP pistons, AFR 195s, hydraulic roller, a built turbo 400 and a horseshoe shifter and IROC steering box. I also did the Guldstrand mod while I was at it. It feels pretty good now.
The doors are starting to shift so the next project is solid body mounts and frame connectors. She is pleased but said it needs electric exhaust cut outs. I need to move up from the 2 ½ pipes to 3” so she’ll have the cut outs when I make the new system.

I can’t complain too much. I do get to drive it when I want. The best part about working on HER car is the fact then when it needs a part the only thing I hear is “Why haven’t you ordered it yet”.

She said I can replace it with two project Camaros of my own so I’m pleased that she likes HER Camaro. Looks like I’ll have my own ’68 and a ’69 too (if I live long enough).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4188.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	31709   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1495.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	31710   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1441.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	31711  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 13, 07:59 PM
Senior Tech
Paul

Thumbs up Re: My wife says "Hey"

Welcome to team camaro!! Hi wife and nice looking camaro!!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 13, 02:28 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
Re: My wife says "Hey"

Welcome to TC...another 68 in the fold

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 13, 03:27 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Welcome to the Club, Viper.
Correct year, She knew this, of course.
Thanks for the pictures, and you have learned, 'Keep the Wife happy, life is good.'

Not to add to your plate, but, you might think about adding subframe connectors with alum body bushings for better rigidity. A six-point roll bar would strengthen it even more.
Look for body/paint cracks upper left corner of the windshield and bottom of the rear qtr window to qtr panel.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 13, 04:46 AM
Senior Tech
Jess

Holy crap... I wouldnt know what to think if I saw a lady driving that. I would probably chase her down and ask about the car... Maybe...
Welcome to team camaro...

Jess67
67 Camaro Blue 427, 4-speed, 12 bolt
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 Camaro 350, 200-4R, PS, AC, PB, IN PARTS
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 13, 05:28 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Michael Gekko

I can't think of anything that pegs the coolmeter higher or faster than seeing a chiqqua driving a blown first gen. You, sir, are a lucky fella!

1968 Camaro NHRA/IHRA SS/C 'Super Stocker' 396/Jerico
1968 Street/Strip Camaro 350 w/PG
1968 Caprice NHRA/IHRA Stock ELiminator O/SA 327-250 HP

Land of the Free Because of the Brave

It Takes a Long Time to Grow Old Friends
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 13, 08:47 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Vince

Garage

I'm jeleous. I want my wife to want a camaro. Especially one like that! Welcome to both of you. Names?

Vince
69 Base Coupe "The Wrecker" Project -

67 rs/SS L48 4spd Convertible -
- SOLD
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 13, 08:57 AM
Banned
Rob

Welcome, and what ^ they all said..........except for the year.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 13, 09:01 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Thumbs up Re: My wife says "Hey"

I like the 'Green' also

Welcome Ms.'Viper'
Hope you take advantage of the forums and post lots of pictures of your 'new' Camaro as you work on it and on cruises

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 13, 09:38 AM
Senior Tech

Welcome to the TC Crew, FV. Looks like you married a gal with great taste for cars!

Was just last night on the phone with a race-type bud, who was attempting to explain to me the downfall that guys run into with the increased pressure blowing oil past the pistons.

He left me in the dust within a short time. Best of luck on your future build.

capt
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 13, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
the BOSS&Ralph

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincevs View Post
I'm jeleous. I want my wife to want a camaro. Especially one like that! Welcome to both of you. Names?

My wife is called The BOSS (no mustang connection) and my friends call me Ralph (Honeymooners conection)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode