68 in Richmond, VA - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 13, 02:30 AM Thread Starter
Rick

68 in Richmond, VA

I'd been looking at 68 Camaros for a number of years, and found this car in Sioux Falls in 2003. I happened to be flush with cash at the time, since I had just come back from my first deployment to Afghanistan. (There's nowhere to spend money!)

The previous owner had replaced the original six with a small block 350, and the column shift Powerglide with an M21. The rear had been upgraded to a 12 bolt with 4.10 gears, and I imagine the car was in the process of being set up for drag racing, with a schrader valve under the rear panel for Gabriel air shocks. The car's original white paint had been resprayed a brighter shade, with red SS stripes. The AC had been unceremoniously ripped out, and a piece of sheet metal from a print shop did temporary duty at the firewall.

I put tires and wheels on it, changed the oil, and drove it home to Blacksburg, VA.

Since then, I swapped out the 4-speed for the Keisler Tremec 5-speed, so that I no longer have to spin the heck out of the motor to cruise at highway speeds with that 4.10 rear. (I miss the feel and the close ratios of the Muncie, though, and the Hurst throws; if there's a next time, I'll give more thought to a Gear Vendors overdrive.)

I also swapped out the stock drums (scary!) for a 4-wheel disc set up with drop spindles from CPP.

Long term, I'd like to do a Cross Ram. Whenever it goes in for body work, I'd like to do a more subdued nose stripe rather than the SS stripes. A nose stripe will probably entail a new choice of color, because I haven't seen too many nose stripes over a white body that I like. The body needs some attention. I think there's a lot of filler on the edge of the roof on the passenger side -- maybe a tree limb had fallen on it. Body panels don't really line up, and the right rear sits higher than the left rear -- it's not the springs or the perches, as I've had three sets of springs on it. It's very possible that the car has been hit, and is no longer square.

It might be a 300-footer at best, but it makes me laugh out loud when I drive it.

When I was in Monterey for a year and a half, learning Arabic at DLI, this was my only car. I haven't been driving it as much lately. (Now I'm a high school math teacher, and no way cool enough to drive this car in my khakis and blue shirt and a tie with no jacket and my ID card on a lanyard.)

The picture is from the Vintage Car Races at Laguna Seca in 2006.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	at Laguna Seca.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	31764  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 13, 03:24 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: 68 in Richmond, VA

Welcome, Rick, good story.
Correct year, enjoy the ride, even if wearing work clothes...

Check subframe to floorboard clearance between pass side and drvr side.
If drvr side has alot, you can bet the car has done some wheelstands.
Sit in direct cente rof the front end and visually check alignment of the header panel to windshield bottom molding, you might find the drvr side fender up alittle, maybe.
Or, just could be a weak front spring.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 13, 03:40 AM
Senior Tech
Paul

Thumbs up Re: 68 in Richmond, VA

Welcome to team camaro!!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 13, 05:01 AM
Senior Tech
Brent

Welcome to TC and Virginia.

I drove a 67 Camaro 6 cyl while at DLI in Monterey and loved every minute of it.

There was a pretty cool cruise night in Salinas while I was there. Any idea if it is still going?

1968 RS/SS Lemans Blue
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 13, 05:17 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
kevin

welcome to team camaro rick..and thanks for the service to our country...!!!!!!!!
let us know how we can help..in your adventure with the camaro...
sounds like you have made a great start to the project
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 13, 03:21 AM Thread Starter
Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentmc View Post
Welcome to TC and Virginia.

I drove a 67 Camaro 6 cyl while at DLI in Monterey and loved every minute of it.

There was a pretty cool cruise night in Salinas while I was there. Any idea if it is still going?
Yes! The cruise-in was going as of early 2007, anyway. (Next to other old cars, though, mine starts feeling inadequate.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode