How Y'all Doing - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 13, 07:03 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

How Y'all Doing

I'm from Ga. (30 miles south of Atlanta)..I'm retired and this will be my first camaro..I am neither a paint/body man nor "good"mechanic but I do know what a spark plug is(i am the official gopher)..just got this 67 RS 327 (hope these pic come up)..It was restored in 2006.. we went over it with a magnet as best we could before buying it..It's as solid as the po said..but the trunk has water in it when it rained and/or washed..thought it might be the rubber seal under trunk lid but found where po replaced that in 06..My mech.said it could be back window weather strip which was not replaced.
What's the best way to check to see where it's coming in..
Thanks..Attachment 31858

Attachment 31859

Attachment 31860

Attachment 31861 Jim-Bob

Last edited by Jim-Bob; Jul 16th, 13 at 06:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 13, 08:09 AM
Senior Tech
Jeff

Re: How Y'all Doing

Good looking car Jim-Bob, welcome to TC....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 13, 08:20 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Carl

Welcome! And congratulations for buying the right year! My '67 (originally butternut yellow like yours) has the same water issue. unfortunately this is a fairly common problem on first gens. It's the bottom window channel, likely the left and right corners, rusted out. Use the search feature and type in "rear window channel rust" and you'll get a lot of info.

1967 350, Hurst TKO 600 5 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi, RS added

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 13, 08:25 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
George

Welcome! The car looks to be in excellent shape! Nice find!

I can't help but read your post with a southern accent in my head.

Sold:
1968 Base hardtop 250 with a P̶G̶ built 2004r
Offy intake
Holley 390 CFM carb
Langdon split header to a 2.5" exhaust
Mild cam
Custom interior
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 13, 08:28 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Thumbs up Re: How Y'all Doing

Welcome to Team CAMARO Jim

Nice looking 67
Actually it was a case of 'deja vu' for me looking at the pictures
If that car was an RS/SS350and came out of the LA Calif. area it would of had me calling you - looks and has the identical options to one of the 1st 67's I bought in the early 70's and let go WAY to soon ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-Bob View Post
I..My mech.said it could be back window weather strip which was not replaced.
What's the best way to check to see where it's coming in..
Thanks... Jim-Bob
Your 'Mech.' is close - but, there is no 'weather strip' for the rear window, they are just set in on sealer just a front windshield would be.
But - it may still actually be the rear window leaking, are prone to rusting and leaking in the lower window channel.
The 'best' way I know of is - to get in the trunk with a good flashlight and have someone (you trust ) run water around either side and slightly up the rear window while you keep a watch for where it's coming in - you'll be able to easily see it if there are rust issues
These vehicles are very prone to debris getting/being stuck in the lower window channel, which will retain moisture and lead to rust - that leads leaks into trunk - and rusted trunk pans ...
The best fix is to remove the rear window and repair the rusted areas prior to reinstalling it correctly. There is little to be gained by trying (short long term) to apply silicone or other type sealers around the window or trim when trying to stop this leaking it looks like heck and doesn't work the majority of time.

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 13, 12:36 PM
Senior Tech
Paul

Thumbs up Re: How Y'all Doing

Welcome to team camaro!!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 13, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Welcome to the Club, Jim-Bob.
Nice ride, indeed.
Like John suggests, Vintage 68, get the rear window fixed, it will only get worse.
With a vinyl top, it will be alittle harder to fix, but, can be done. Use a window seal repair kit.
Buy the window clip tool to remove and install molding, well worth the $5, even if you only use it once, er, one job.
Might consider having a pro do it after fixing the sheet metal damage underneath.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 13, 03:39 PM
Senior Tech
harvey

Welcome, cool ride
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 13, 03:49 PM
Banned
Rob

Welcome to the club!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 13, 05:04 PM
Tech Team
Ron

Welcome Jim Bob
These guys no there stuff on here so your in good hands.

68 PW,PS,PB,AC,v8,2speed on column,
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 13, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

'preciate all the welcomes..especially the info from Vintage 68 and Everett.. I'll try all those things y'all mentioned but I thought we looked that area over real good..the bottom of the pkg tray, etc for rust..didnt see any..guess this is down in there where you cant see huh??

Say Everett..do you happened to visit the Camaro Forum? the avatar is a rescue dawg??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode