'68 Camaro - New Owner - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 13, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steven

'68 Camaro - New Owner

Hey everyone, wanted to introduce myself to the community and say hello. Today I am a new Owner of a 68 Camaro that I just took ownership of and am really excited to start. With that being said I am a total amatuer at this and will be looking for help everywhere that I can get it. I am going to attach some photos (hopefully it works..first time and all) to show everyone what I just received. The car does run, pretty rough but it does run. When I looked the car over it does not appear to have any rust, previous Owner said he had replaced the metal that had rusted out. So from the photos where should I start first? There is not a back seat, the previous Owner was in the process of putting some major sound system in it and he took it out prior to me taking it. The seats are from a '04 Camaro which I do not plan on keeping .... Man I am such a Newbie at this. Sorry in advance everyone!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-03-21_21-47-13_81.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	32878   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-03-21_21-45-45_889.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	32879   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-03-21_21-48-33_255.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	32880  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-03-21_21-46-01_33.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	32881  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 13, 01:38 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Milt

Garage
Re: '68 Camaro - New Owner

First off welcome to Team Camaro. Congratulations on selecting the best year of all Camaros! Nice looking car. What are your plans for the car. I would make a list of what you want to do & what sequence. It will give you a sense of accomplishment as you see things getting checked off the list and progress being made.

Go big, or stay Home!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 13, 01:46 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
the BOSS&Ralph

It looks like a good car to start with. Pretty cool to see an L 88 hood. That was the scoop that ended up everywhere back in the seventies, kinda like the cowl scoop these days.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 13, 02:25 PM
Senior Tech
Sean

Cool car, looks like a nice place to start, about like mine when I first picked it up. Congrats!

I agree on the L88 hood, very period correct, I dig it.

Create a plan and proceed from there, but be very realistic about your goals and budget, your budget will go in the red regardless how much you set aside!

My personal opinion, concentrate on getting it running and driving and enjoy it while you work on projects. Who cares how it looks at first if you can get out and enjoy it a bit it will make for a much happier project in my opinion.

Far too often I see guys buy cars, get big ideas and start tearing the car apart only to realize the project is way beyond what they planned and the car ends up sitting and collecting dust and kid's toys.... We all would love to have excatly what we envision as our dream Camaro, but unless you have lots of disposable income the reality is you have to go a little at a time.

I personally did my current Camaro that way, and I'm still working on it but I have enjoyed the heck out of it in the mean time. Just something to think about.

Either way enjoy! It's a cool car and of course.... The correct year!

Sean

1968 rs with an old school 354" SB2.2 pump gas motor.

Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth.

Franklin D. Roosevelt
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 13, 04:08 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Woohoo, another 68

Welcome to TC

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 13, 06:02 PM
Mike

Welcome to the 68 club.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 13, 04:57 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

Send a message via AIM to Pro-Street69Camaro468 Send a message via Yahoo to Pro-Street69Camaro468

Just one year later and you would have gotten a good one...lol Welcome to Team Camaro....Just my opinion but I think I would ditch the seats not much on seats out of another model make car...JMO I have Scat 2000 and hate them wish I had stock seats....

PRO.ST69orange

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 13, 05:05 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Welcome, Steven, enjoy the cruise.
Correct year and does look like a nice ride.
What's in the box behind the seats?

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 13, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steven

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome, I do plan on ditching the seats that are in the camaro at this point, not real wild about them. To answer the question about the box, it was going to be a speaker box that has already been removed. It really amazes me what some people want or do to such a beautiful vehicle.

Here is a question, do you think I should rework the engine I currently has in the compartment, from what I understand it comes out of a truck that was recently rebuilt and is a 350. Or do you think I should start looking for a new engine to drop it in that might be a better fit for the car. I suppose that would be a pretty big cost so that might be a driving factor.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 13, 10:33 AM
Senior Tech
Sean

If you have the budget you could rebuild the engine and spend as much money doing it as you have budgeted and there is nothing wrong with that.
Or it would be real easy to get running right and be fun to drive in the mean time. Is the engine healthy, compression wise? You can really do a lot with a 350.

My Camaro had the same thing, basically a stock 350 that had been sourced from a truck based on numbers, I spent some time getting it to run right, just tuning is all it took, and drove it quite awhile and at the same time I worked on building the first motor for it, a 406. Then you can swap the motor over a weekend and be driving it again in no time.

It really depends on you, some guys are ok with stripping the car to it's bare bones and starting a full restoration, that takes time and money but thats what some guys enjoy.
To me, I like to drive the car and enjoy it, while doing projects on it keeping the down time to a few weeks so I can be back driving it (except this last one has had me down for two years.... ). It's all about driving and enjoying the car to me, some guys enjoy the build and sell when done.

Either way set a realistic goal and enjoy the process!

Sean

1968 rs with an old school 354" SB2.2 pump gas motor.

Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth.

Franklin D. Roosevelt
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 13, 11:39 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Steven,

Welcome and congratulations on your car. My first was a 68 as well many years ago. This group is a great source of information. I'm one of those that prefers to drive and enjoy a car as much as possible while working on it if possible. So unless the engine has known issues, get it running good and start enjoying it while working on the rest of the car. One thing I noticed in the photos was the lack of a fan shroud on the radiator. I'd suggest you find one and install before the hot weather as it will allow the cooling system to function much more effectively and very well could prevent overheating problems. It's also a fairly inexpensive, easy and quick project/task to take care of.

Enjoy,
Scott.

69 Camaro Z/28 RS, original Azure Turquoise, M21 & 3.73 12-bolt posi. NOM 406ci, AFR 210 heads, Straub hyd. roller cam & Dynatech 1-3/4" > 1-7/8" headers, QuickFuel 750 Annular. Photos at:
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 13, 02:19 PM
Senior Tech
Paul

Thumbs up Re: '68 Camaro - New Owner

Welcome to team camaro!!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 13, 02:39 PM
Senior Tech

great project car is seems and missed by 1 year of the late great 69s thats me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode