New member from Stockton, California - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 13, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ace

New member from Stockton, California

Hows it going fellas.

I just wanted to introduce myself on here. My name is Ace. I have a 69 Camaro SS that I am working on. The car is in pretty great shape and I am just hunting for some 12 second time slips with great street manners.

The current mods are:

355 with 9.5 to 1 compression
XE268h-10 cam
Vortec heads
Edelbrock intake and 600 cfm carb (1406)
Long tube headers with full exhaust
TH350 with 2000rpm stall

I haven't base lined the car yet. The car runs fine as a cruiser but doesn't really move much when I floor it.

I will be looking at the numbers on the rear end tomorrow to try and figure out what gears I have. I would like to install a set of 3.55s in the back end for a little more pick up but not throwing away gas mileage.

I honestly believe that the Edelbrock carb needs to be dialed in better for peak performance. Since I don't have much experience with Edelbrocks, My buddy is going to install a Holley 750 Double Pumper and tune the car for me.

Once all that is done, I will be taking it out to the track for some base line runs.

Thanks for having me on this forum and I look forward to making new friends.

Thanks
Ace

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 13, 01:03 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
the BOSS&Ralph

Re: New member from Stockton, California

Welcome. You’re at the right place for a car like yours. Post some times when you get them.
I worked in Stockton for 10 years before moving to Arkansas. Miss some of the back roads in the area.
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 13, 01:04 AM
Senior Tech
Tim

Hey welcome Ace, nice car - should be fun at the 1/4!

1969 04A Van Nuys-built Z/28. Cortez Silver with dark blue interior and VE3. Sold Clippinger Chevrolet. Raced at Lions in LA.

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 13, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendlyviper View Post
Welcome. You’re at the right place for a car like yours. Post some times when you get them.
I worked in Stockton for 10 years before moving to Arkansas. Miss some of the back roads in the area.
Yea stockton has a lot of nice back roads for testing cars lol. I wanna base line it and just grow with the car towards my goals for 12's in the 1/4 mile. I'm not trying to go too crazy with this car and I do NOT want to put an LS motor in here. I have a few other LS cars and they are fun but this is different lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLP955 View Post
Hey welcome Ace, nice car - should be fun at the 1/4!
Thanks man. I can't wait for time slips for this car.

I know this question has probably been asked a million times but after seeing what mods I currently have, what do you guys recommend to give this car a little bit more power. I love the street manners and don't want to lose that.

Thanks
Ace
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 13, 01:29 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
the BOSS&Ralph

I think you’ve got a well-balanced package. I’d concentrate on getting the carb and timing dialed in. In a quest for more power I wouldn’t go more than one step bigger on the cam without going to a higher perf head. Always be careful with lift on Vortec heads unless you know they’ve been modified to accept it. But those changes will take away from everyday driving. I bet it is (or will be) great on the street as is. I use Vortec heads for engines in the 375-425 HP range. With a good launch I think you’ll be able to find 12s. IIRC a friend’s 350 with your cam and Performer RPM heads trapped at 104 in a ’67 Camaro.
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 13, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ace

Thats all i'm looking for when it comes to my 69 camaro. 12's i'm not too picky lol. I am looking into upgrading the suspension after to help with better launches. I am still very new and very much a newb when it comes to 1st gens. I was reading through the sub categories and I noticed the nice write up about LS1-T56 swaps. That is something that I plan on doing later on down the road some day.

But first and formost I would love for this car to run properly. I've talked to a lot of people and they have all said that Holley carbs should be an answer to my questions. So hopefully once the holley is installed, I should have a big smile on my face

Thank you for all the feed back. Also, is there any specific suspension mods that I should be looking for with these cars? And what do you think about 3.55 gears with th350 trans?

the car also has 1.6 rockers
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 13, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ace

A few more pics

post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 13, 05:19 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
the BOSS&Ralph

In the quest for 12s I’d probably go with 4.10 gears. Not good for highway but it looks like you have a few other cars for everyday use. My wife’s Camaro has 4.10s and a turbo 400, I find that by doing about 60 rather than 70 on the highway it’s not too bad. We get tired of being passed but just about everything though. If you do end up with the T56 later, the 4.10s could be a good all-around gear after the trans swap.
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 13, 07:10 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dan

Welcome, you will find a ton of good info here.

69 LeMans Blue X77 Z28 (SOLD)
68 Corvette Bronze RS Z28
68 LeMans Blue SS 396 L78 (9978 orig miles)
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 13, 07:30 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Welcome, Ace
Nice Camaro and a nice corral.
Free power is lost weight in the car.
Next would be increasing the lever, whether be crankshaft stroke, less reciprocating weight, higher numerical rear gear, or smaller diameter tire.

What gear ratio is installed now?
I would suggest starting a log of the Camaro and write dowen the changes and compare the results.

Any carb needs to be tuned whether an Eddy, Holley, or Q-jet.
A quick test in finding out if carb is too small, I don't think it is, run a vacuum gauge to the interior and check the vacuum at WOT throttle. If higher than 1", then too small of carb.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.
post #11 of 52 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 13, 08:10 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Garage

Welcome from Modesto! Nice car.

'69 Camaro - 429 SBC Dart Iron Eagle 9.325" block, Crower crank, Crower 6" billet rods, Ross pistons (10:1), Total Seal rings, AFR 245 heads, T&D steel body shaft rockers, Cloyes Timing set, custom ground 4-7 swap solid roller 274/286 @ .050" with .704" lift, Dart single plane, Holley Dominator EFI on E85, Injector Dynamics ID2000 Injectors, Stef's #1705R oil pan, F2 Procharger, Lemons 2" primary 4" collector, ATI 9" blower converter
post #12 of 52 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 13, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ace

Quote:
I think you’ve got a well-balanced package. I’d concentrate on getting the carb and timing dialed in. In a quest for more power I wouldn’t go more than one step bigger on the cam without going to a higher perf head. Always be careful with lift on Vortec heads unless you know they’ve been modified to accept it. But those changes will take away from everyday driving. I bet it is (or will be) great on the street as is. I use Vortec heads for engines in the 375-425 HP range. With a good launch I think you’ll be able to find 12s. IIRC a friend’s 350 with your cam and Performer RPM heads trapped at 104 in a ’67 Camaro.
Thanks, I want to get the most out of the current set up and then later on down the road I can go with a stroker motor. I have AFR 195 eliminator heads with 75cc. I don't want to change pistons yet so I haven't thrown those heads on because I don't want super low compression. i know i can mill the heads and go with a thinner head gasket to raise compression but i don't want to touch the heads tho.

Quote:
In the quest for 12s I’d probably go with 4.10 gears. Not good for highway but it looks like you have a few other cars for everyday use. My wife’s Camaro has 4.10s and a turbo 400, I find that by doing about 60 rather than 70 on the highway it’s not too bad. We get tired of being passed but just about everything though. If you do end up with the T56 later, the 4.10s could be a good all-around gear after the trans swap.
I like the yenko set ups and see how the 4.10s compliment it but I would like to stay with a decent rear gear till i actually make the 6 speed swap. I don't know when that would be or when the budget would allow that so I'd rather go with a 3.55 for now.

Thanks for all the help guys. I am learning a lot already
post #13 of 52 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 13, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
Welcome, Ace
Nice Camaro and a nice corral.
Free power is lost weight in the car.
Next would be increasing the lever, whether be crankshaft stroke, less reciprocating weight, higher numerical rear gear, or smaller diameter tire.

What gear ratio is installed now?
I would suggest starting a log of the Camaro and write dowen the changes and compare the results.

Any carb needs to be tuned whether an Eddy, Holley, or Q-jet.
A quick test in finding out if carb is too small, I don't think it is, run a vacuum gauge to the interior and check the vacuum at WOT throttle. If higher than 1", then too small of carb.
I don't know much about carbs at all man. I'm having my friend help me with that since thats all he messes with. I have a lot of experience with TPI and LS1 set ups.

I would like to have a 12 second set up with full interior and a 355 for now. I have read on threads on here how people have accomplished that but i'd like a more streetable set up. This car would see the track a few times a year and usually driven for cruises. That is why i'd like to have a rear gear that will allow me to cruise with other cars and not hold up traffic or get left behind lol

The edelbrock carb is decent in my book. I turn the car on and i don't have any problems with idle or it wanting to turn off. I pump the gas 2-3 times before i turn the car on and it will stay running. Its just that wide open throttle has no kick to it. It might be carb not being set up properly for wide open throttle or the secondaires not opening up all the way. All of which I am still trying to learn more about and learn more about fixing them. Some videos on youtube are helpful and some are useless lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve69SS396 View Post
You're not that far away from me. I'm always down for beers and more then willing to buy especially if you can help me dial the car in lol
post #14 of 52 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 13, 05:40 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Wink Re: New member from Stockton, California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve69SS396 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceBoogie View Post
You're not that far away from me. I'm always down for beers and more then willing to buy especially if you can help me dial the car in lol
Steve doesn't know much about dialing in carbs ... OH WAIT - wrong 'Steve'
This Steve might just know a thing-or-2 about getting into the 12's

Welcome to Team CAMARO.

Hopefully you can get to meet some of the 'Valley Boys' at local shows.
They're a good group and always up to an intervention if needed ... ( you can do a search for "intervention" on here to see what I'm talking about )

Nice looking car ( for a 69 ) and looks a little familiar
Did you recently buy it?

Ps: somehow a Mushthing snuck into your photo ...

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #15 of 52 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 13, 06:11 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceBoogie View Post
In the late '90s my car ran mid 12's and got 15mpg on the freeway with 4.10 gears and a TH400. That was full interior with A/C. With an OD trans you should be able to run 12's and get 20mpg.

I'd be happy to help.

'69 Camaro - 429 SBC Dart Iron Eagle 9.325" block, Crower crank, Crower 6" billet rods, Ross pistons (10:1), Total Seal rings, AFR 245 heads, T&D steel body shaft rockers, Cloyes Timing set, custom ground 4-7 swap solid roller 274/286 @ .050" with .704" lift, Dart single plane, Holley Dominator EFI on E85, Injector Dynamics ID2000 Injectors, Stef's #1705R oil pan, F2 Procharger, Lemons 2" primary 4" collector, ATI 9" blower converter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode