Are "tributes" replicas? Advice for 1st gen convertible shopper? - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old May 10th, 13, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Todd

Are "tributes" replicas? Advice for 1st gen convertible shopper?

Howdy everybody! I just joined your site as an ex-Camaro owner and hopefully future Camaro owner!

My first car was a 1967 Camaro about 30 years ago. Ever since, I have dreamed of having a first gen SS/RS convertible...ideally with factory air since I live in Phoenix. (Like I said, it is a dream like wanting to be naked in a hot tub with Halle Berry, so I'm willing to compromise). I've been working on my wife for several years on this and I'm finally at the point where I might be able to pull this off...buying a Camaro that is, not the Halle hot tub thing!

I'll be searching around camaros.net a lot over the next several weeks for advice, so I hope this isn't too much of a duplicate question, but I would love any advice that you all have about searching for a car like this. One thing I have noticed while looking for cars is some are "tributes". What exactly does that mean? I've also seen "replica", which makes me think of "kit" cars or something like that. I really want a real Camaro (no offense to any replica owners) but I wasn't sure if "tribute" was another way of saying replica.

I'm the type of person that will keep this car for the rest of my life so I want to make sure I take the time to get something really nice so any advice from experts would be greatly appreciated!

-Todd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old May 10th, 13, 01:40 PM
Senior Tech
Broc

Re: Are "tributes" replicas? Advice for 1st gen convertible shopper?

Usually people use these terms instead of CLONE, which is basically taking a Base Camaro and adding RS or SS options to them. Many people claim tribute or replica to confuse people and not say CLONE. Nonetheless, I look for a clean rust free car as its only original sheet metal once.

1968 Camaro SS 350
--350, muncie 4spd, 12 bolt 3.31 (multi-leaf)

1967 Camaro (plain jane)
--350, muncie 4spd, 12 bolt 3.31 (mono-leaf)

1965 Chevelle Malibu SS 327
--327, powerglide, 12 bolt
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old May 10th, 13, 01:48 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

From the 'hip' and persective from outside the US
Quote:
"tributes". What exactly does that mean?
A tribute is no more than a populist marketing/ propaganda tag....very much an American thing...
To non Americans, generally a "tribute " is something made or given for free for a special occasion.....or tradtionally in effect a tax (to say, the new conqueror)

At the end of the day, in the modern marketing / propaganda world most 'tributes' be a car bike, whatever is just a very well built (and that can be desputed big time) replica or custom vechilce.

In many cases, too many , it is no more than a marketing ploy to cash in on a patriotic sympathy, and doing so makes it difficult to call a spade a spade without flak.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old May 10th, 13, 04:03 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Welcome here. My hot tub, diffrent person, Still your here, 68's are better,
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old May 10th, 13, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Todd

Thanks for the replies! I think I would be OK with a tribute or clone as I'm not a total purist. Actually I don't think I would want one that is 100% original, matching #s etc. because then it wouldn't feel right to modify and improve. IMHO putting spinner wheels and neon lights on a classic is sacrilege so I would never go there, but I would plan to add improved audio, and do performance work to the drive line.

With the magic that car guys can do these days I just don't want something that was born a '73 Pinto then converted into a '69 Camaro. I could live with knowing it was born a base Camaro and evolved into an RS.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old May 10th, 13, 05:06 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Carl

Quote:
Originally Posted by john68 View Post
Welcome here. My hot tub, diffrent person, Still your here, 68's are better,
I think John has been sitting in his hot tub too long and stewed his brain. A '67 is definitely the way to go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodzilla View Post
I could live with knowing it was born a base Camaro and evolved into an RS.
I went this route. Bought what was born a plain V8 car (a PO had already added the RS lights) and am making it mine with guilt free modifications. Good luck and read/research the archives here for tips.

1967 350, Hurst TKO 600 5 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi, RS added

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old May 10th, 13, 05:10 PM
Team Member
Ty

First, welcome to the board.

I am like you. I had a 67 RS when I was 16 years old in HS. Now I just turned 50 and just finished my build on a 69. Mine is a base model and is a Z28 Clone Pro Touring style.

For me, I did not care about originality. I wanted to build my dream car before I turned 50 and acomplished that goal. I love my car. That is is the most important thing, not weather it is a clone or not.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old May 10th, 13, 05:58 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
From the 'hip' and persective from outside the US

A tribute is no more than a populist marketing/ propaganda tag....very much an American thing...
To non Americans, generally a "tribute " is something made or given for free for a special occasion.....or tradtionally in effect a tax (to say, the new conqueror)

At the end of the day, in the modern marketing / propaganda world most 'tributes' be a car bike, whatever is just a very well built (and that can be desputed big time) replica or custom vechilce.

In many cases, too many , it is no more than a marketing ploy to cash in on a patriotic sympathy, and doing so makes it difficult to call a spade a spade without flak.
Blah, blah, blah.

I call mine an imposter. That way the purists don't get their panties in a bunch.

Aside from the $$$ value of a true RS/SS, I'd rather have a car that I can build and drive the way I want.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old May 10th, 13, 11:00 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Blah Blah Blah whatever lol
We have brought a boat , getting into fishing, had the camaro 34 years.. matching numbers, orginal stuff still stored....
I did not know it was matching numbers when I brought it... wasnt important back then.
So looking back in retrospect.....
Quote:
Actually I don't think I would want one that is 100% original, matching #s etc. because then it wouldn't feel right to modify and improve. IMHO putting spinner wheels and neon lights on a classic is sacrilege so I would never go there, but I would plan to add improved audio, and do performance work to the drive line.
Hit a cord
in retrospect, as a guy who enjoys driving the car everyday, it wasnt a matching numbers. things can be put back to orginal....but its been a bit limiting in what I would have like to really do.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old May 11th, 13, 03:47 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

All the terms is just another way to make a Camaro sound like it is more than it was or is. In many ways just buy a good car and modify it the way you want as all the parts are available. Start with a solid car and fit it to your budget and do as much of the work yourself, which I find is the most fun. I am restoring my 35th Camaro and building it for sale and then I will do another. My keeper fleet has 4 69's the most sought after year and the one that seems to show up in so many commercials and brings the big bucks at the auctions, but all first gen cars are nice.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old May 11th, 13, 06:00 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

As with everything - its your personal choice and your wallet Todd.

Like pets - If you want a loyal companion then in MHO strays and muts are the best to pick.

So if you want a fun car to drive around and don't care about the paperwork and matching numbers nothing wrong with a tribute as long as you respect that it is a creation.

But If you want high priced pedigree, more then likely that you won't want to drive around much, but maybe trailer to everyplace and then have to watch like a hawk for fingerprints and belt buckles up against your paint - find the right collector ride for you.

It is possible to have both a fun daily driver that is numbers matching Bona-fide but getting rarer all the time. And a base can always be re-crafted into the project of your dreams, with or without built in hot tub.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old May 11th, 13, 06:03 AM
Senior Tech

Heck if you have a Cam vert, enjoy it for what it is...not what it is supposed to be.

As you've indicated in your post, having an orig product is not an issue, and the depth of your pockets won't have to be as deep.

Good luck on your quest. Also, check for a PM, eh?

capt
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old May 15th, 13, 05:24 AM
Tech Team
scott

clone, tribute, fake, replica, what ever the word that is used, all mean the same thing. it means the seller is being honest about what he is selling, and not claiming it to be real when it isn't. fraud is the word for that!

69 rs/ss 350 rally green(clone, tribute, fake, replica, whatever the kids are calling it these days)
69 corvette roadster monaco(hugger) orange L46 4spd
2010 challenger R/T 6spd
1948 plymouth business coupe 354 HEMI 5 spd
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old May 15th, 13, 12:48 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Welcome to Team Camaro!

I bought my 67 back in 87 with no engine or tranny (it was a 327/210 w/PG) and did what any red blooded American would do: Dropped a Rat motor in it!

And a "tribute" is a car that has been recreated to represent something that it didn't start out as but has been done as closely as possible to represent the original, i.e.. a COPO or Z28 race car (road or 1/4 mile). These are generally stated as such so there is no doubt as to what it is.

A "clone" OTOH, is basically the same idea but (knowingly or otherwise) but has been presented as the real thing. Or not. Some folks play fast and loose with terminology.

But, in the words of my favorite satirist, "That's just my opinion. I could be wrong."

67 Camaro: 454/TH400/4.10 12 bolt. Lots of options: PS/PDB/PW, tilt, tach, gauges and more. K-K + 797-Z...

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy" - Sir Ernest Benn
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old May 15th, 13, 01:14 PM
Tech Team
Jeff

I always felt that "tribute" meant that you were trying to pay homage to a particular vehicle.... for instance I have 1969 Yenko "tribute". I am not trying to deceive anyone, I just like the real ones and dont have 250,000 dollars for one. Basically I took most of the cues and styling from a real one and added my own personal touches. ie: different rims or a center console etc. If someone clones or replicates a vehicle I believe they are trying to make it exactly like it came from the factory or dealership. Inevitably someone will always disagree with me but you asked for an opinion so this is just my two cents. Enjoy your car no matter what it is and never misrepresent it as real if its not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
1st gen, convertible, tribute

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode