Hey all! I'm new here. - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old May 19th, 13, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Ryan

Hey all! I'm new here.

Hey everyone. I'm Ryan from Toledo, Ohio and as you can figure from the title I'm new. I'm a 20-year-old college student in pursuit of a Computer Science degree, but I've always had a thing for cars. I have a bit of experience working on cars, but not as much as I would like to. I hope to learn a ton from you guys as I progress through my upcoming project.

My last attempt was a '71 Nova, but I didn't know what to look for and I bought a total junker. Luckily I was able to get rid of it without losing too much, but I definitely want to avoid that situation again.

Although I don't own a Camaro yet, I am in the final stages of purchasing a '81 Z28. As an intro request, I'd appreciate it if I could get a brief list of last-minute things to check before purchasing this car. I've had a trusted mechanic check it out and everything seems good so far but I want to cover as many bases as possible. Thanks in advance!

Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old May 19th, 13, 07:36 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Thumbs up Re: Hey all! I'm new here.

First off - Welcome to Team CAMARO

Next, the main thing to check for in your part of the country is RUST
Nothing takes the out of a new project purchase faster than finding all the 'hidden' rust the previous owner sorta-forgotta-tell-ya about
Rust in these vehicles can be a real challenge for even those with mad craftsman skills, let alone a guy just trying to get started in the hobby. This work costs a ton to have done by professionals ... Money better spent finding a better starting point for your project in most cases

Engine, trans and driveline work is to be expected unless your buying a truly 'restored' from ground up vehicle.
Some minor body work and paint follow the same rules.
Interior stuff is also something along these lines, but can be done by most with simple instruction.
The above are, or can be, usually pretty resonably priced if you use common sense and do a little competitive shopping.
That Rust stuff will kill any budget once you get into major repairs

Good hunting, and post up photos and questions of cars you're considering on here for lots of feedback and recommendations on it ...

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 13, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Ryan

Sorry for the delayed response. Just moved into a new place and I'm just now getting settled. Not sure how to post photos from my phone, but I'm giving it a shot now. Here's my purchase being unloaded. I'll be sure to post more when I get internet on the desktop computer again. As per the tips, I went back with my mechanic and we found this to be "one of the most rust-free Camaros" he's seen in a long time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1370452630586.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	33902  

Ryan

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 13, 11:34 AM
Banned
Rob

Re: Hey all! I'm new here.

Welcome to TC, where you will find the most knowledgeable people around.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 13, 04:24 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

welcome

BILL D.
JOHN 3:16
SEMPER FI
if you have a bbc in your 1st gen 67-69 camaro click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post yours up!!

if you have an all original 1st gen camaro 67-69 click on the link below and enjoy the veiw and post your up!!

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 13, 05:38 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Ryan - Love to see eager new blood in the ranks. Welcome aboard.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 13, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Welcome, Ryan.
Since you have the Camaro, and a nice one, I guess checking to ensure the title has no issues and the VIN matches the Camaro's VIN is kindda late.

Enjoy the journey.

Congrats on furthering your education.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.

Last edited by Everett#2390; Jun 5th, 13 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Because I did.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 13, 05:52 AM Thread Starter
Ryan

It is indeed too late for that tip, Everett, but don't worry, I actually did remember to do that before. everything is OK.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Ryan
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 13, 02:03 PM
Senior Tech
T.C.

Welcome to the site Ryan! The car looks like a solid car from Ohio! I am from NE Ohio so I know what your dealing with when looking for a project.

Do you have any plans for it yet? Let me know if you have any plans for the suspension

The guys at V8TV recently shot a great install and results video of our kit on a customers 71 Firebird, which is virtually the same chassis as your car:

http://youtu.be/NRKGqDRSLgc

We will be at the Columbus Goodguys show July 12-14 so stop by and see the suspension in person!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 13, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Ryan

Well for the most part I'm thinking just an occasional driver. Possibly just to school and back when it's nice out (about a mile round-trip). So for now I'm not looking to put too many aftermarket parts into it. I'll be sure to post with any questions or concerns when I do get to working on it.

Ryan
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 13, 04:09 PM
Tech Team
Scott

Welcome
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 13, 07:07 AM
Senior Tech
T.C.

Sounds like a good plan...... keep us all posted as the car comes together. Don't see enough 74-81 Camaros here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode