Hi From South West England. - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 13, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
paul

Smile Hi From South West England.

Hi Folks, Just dropping by to introduce myself. I am Paul, I own a small trucking company in the far south west of England, I am married with a 2 year old daughter and I have a 67 Camaro that I am restoring.

The Car was recently imported (Nov 2011) and came to England from Florida, it is utterly rusty, very incomplete and is a big project.

I paid way too much for the car by the time I paid all the import taxes as well as the purchase and shipping but I am making progress with it now and I have it stripped and many parts cleaned and restored, I have also been lucky sourcing parts from a variety of places including ebay and some of the bigger companies that sell parts and will mail them to me here !

The car is an early California built Coupe, 67, was originally Gold with a Gold interior and a 327, I got it in primer red with a broken 327 that turns out has a 350 crank in it and a TH350 trans. No original seats, carpet, headliner or trim remains, it was a mix of what the previous owner could find in a dumpster.

Since it is so bad I decided to build the Camaro I want rather than restore it, the plan is to do the body Black and the interior Deluxe Red, 350 or 383 and the TH350 for now.

There are a few areas I need some advice with and I guess I will be posting in the tech sections over the coming months !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 13, 03:14 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Carl

Re: Hi From South West England.

Welcome and good choice on getting the right year! Sounds like she's in rough shape but I'm glad your saving her. The more 1st gens there are on the road the better place the world will be!

By the way, we really need to see some pics, even if she's in pieces.

1967 350, Hurst TKO 600 5 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi, RS added

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 13, 04:16 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Paul, welcome home, we will try to help as much as we can. You are a little far for a drive by.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 13, 06:42 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

Welcome Paul. Devon or Cornwall?

1969 04A Van Nuys-built Z/28. Cortez Silver with dark blue interior and VE3. Sold Clippinger Chevrolet. Raced at Lions in LA.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 13, 07:11 PM
Senior Tech
Brian

welcome!!! It always amazes me how many camaros are across the pond or are in other countries in general! Good for you andhave fun on the restoration!!!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 13, 03:10 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
paul

Thanks for the warm welcome !

I am in Penzance in Cornwall, about 8 miles from the tip of the country (Lands-End).

The 67 is the ONLY year in my mind ! I love the later cars too but 67 is where it all started and the design is the most pure.

I have had lots of different American cars over the years and run a Chevy Astro van as my daily driver.

Here are a couple of pics, the car as I bought it and the timing slips I found in the remains of the glovebox !

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 13, 03:31 AM
Senior Tech
Tim

Should make a cool project, sounds like you love your '67 and that is so important, hard to get passionate about a long-term build if it doesn't inspire you!
Great part of the world, I know it well. Looks like you're having a good summer season right now

1969 04A Van Nuys-built Z/28. Cortez Silver with dark blue interior and VE3. Sold Clippinger Chevrolet. Raced at Lions in LA.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 13, 06:32 AM
Senior Tech

Welcome to the TC Crew, Paul.

Looks like a rather healthy project to handle there, and sounds like you are up to the it.

When finished you'll be turning the noggins round about.

Lots of English types aboard, some Aussies and a Kiwi or two tossed into the fray.

Good luck on your build and the quest for needed parts.

capt
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 13, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
paul

Here are a few more pics, I started actual work on this project just over a year ago, I had been doing a lot of research and parts finding before I even took the spanners out of the box !

I like to break restorations into little mini projects. I find it better to do it in sections because you see more progress.

First up was a total strip down and build a Body Jig to mount the shell on, the anchor points are all to original specs and the jig is cross braced to make sure the shell stays straight when I weld it up. Right now the jig is on wheels but I can bolt it to my floor easily.

The suspension and front subframe were one of the first parts to be stripped and restored, I am about halfway through now and I am waiting to re-assemble it all once I have new bushes and joints and a plan of what to use for the front disc conversion I want to do.

The inner fenders and Dash have been media blasted by me and are now in primer waiting for the rest of the body to catch up.

Wheels are Corvette Rallye steels and have been blasted, painted and are waiting for tires and fitting.

I will probably start a Project thread soon, but for now here are a few pics.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
1967, camaro, england, restore

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode